Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best player to wear this jersey in Flames history?
Mel Bridgeman 18 9.05%
Steve Bozek 6 3.02%
Paul Ranheim 26 13.07%
Robert Reichel 125 62.81%
Marcus Nilsson 23 11.56%
Dennis Wideman 1 0.50%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #21
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
Huh. It's funny how many people base an entire career with a franchise off one or two plays. Reichel's awful because he missed one chance in an important game? Nilson would have been legendary for scoring a goal in an important game? This is stupid as far as I'm concerned. Does anyone realize how many great chances Iginla has missed in important games?

Judge a player on their whole career, not one or two plays where things can go for or against you so easily.

Fair enough. Based on your thoughts, Reinhart should be the choice at #23 over Gelinas. Curious, who did you vote for?

Anticipating that you'll get your knickers in a knot over my comment, I'll let you know I voted for Reinhart for the exact same reason.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:03 PM   #22
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way I remember Reichel is that he was immensely talented but played as if he was just going through the motions. By the time he left, it was good riddance.
I voted Mel.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2014, 01:51 PM   #23
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went with Nilson

Was going to go with Bozek for a game or two in the 86 finals when he scored 2 goals, but that's all I remember about him.

Bridgmen...gave us street cred at the time, certainly a favorite, but I think Nilson's contributions helped us regain previously lost street cred.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #24
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tough to argue with Reichel's back-to-back 40 goal seasons. However, Bozek was a very good two-way player for six seasons (for younger fans, imagine Marcus Nilsson with much better wheels). And he was a top-notch penalty-killer. So I like Bozek's all-around game better than Reichel's.

And I know it shouldn't factor into this, but I interviewed Reichel when I was a student and he was kind of a knob.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #25
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Huh. It's funny how many people base an entire career with a franchise off one or two plays. Reichel's awful because he missed one chance in an important game? Nilson would have been legendary for scoring a goal in an important game? This is stupid as far as I'm concerned. Does anyone realize how many great chances Iginla has missed in important games?

Judge a player on their whole career, not one or two plays where things can go for or against you so easily.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, that's why we have a forum. If we all agreed on the same person, what would be the point of the poll?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #26
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I went with Nilson

Was going to go with Bozek for a game or two in the 86 finals when he scored 2 goals, but that's all I remember about him.

Bridgmen...gave us street cred at the time, certainly a favorite, but I think Nilson's contributions helped us regain previously lost street cred.

I remember there was a game in 85 or 86 against the Oil in Edmonton and IIRC (and i may be misremembering who it was) Bozek scored a goal 3 on 5 against that legendary Oiler PP...thats the time i started to understand that the Flames could compete with the evil empire. bSure enough that next PO series....well the rest is history.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #27
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Back to back 40 goal seasons. Had to go with Reichel.

What happened to that guy? He went to Europe and came back a different player.
He came back to a lousy Flames team and a different NHL. Face it, he scored 40 goals in two high scoring seasons and two high scoring Flames Teams. He came back to Calgary at the start of the 'Dead Puck' era, on a team that was a shell of its self compared to that 93 and 94 team.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #28
iLoveLamp
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No Kotalik? No vote for me
iLoveLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iLoveLamp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2014, 02:58 PM   #29
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reichel wins cause the boy could score, but Nilson had way more heart.

Last edited by calgaryred; 08-18-2014 at 03:03 PM.
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #30
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reichel for all his regular season solid play, was a bum that disappeared in the playoffs big time, when the Flames needed him the most in key situations in key games. I recall the points he got were in blowouts (SJ especially) and second assists in playoff games.

Him missing that in OT vs Vancouver was pathetic. Hit the cross bar game 7 the next year vs SJ. A wallflower those playoffs, which undoes all the good he can rack up in a meaningless regular season.

Nilson for me.

Nilson co-share "The Shift" with Iginla Game 5 SCF.

Great pickup by Sutter at the trade deadline that year. Big goal in the Detroit series, along with a couple vs SJ. Of course the Game 5 SCF shift, then tied up the game late in the second of Game 6, and mere inches from being a Calgary Flame legend off a great pass from Lowry in OT of same Game 6.

Iginla called him one of the most skilled player he's played with. He wasn't in Keenan's good books and got the raw end of the deal, and that was that.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:43 PM   #31
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Fair enough. Based on your thoughts, Reinhart should be the choice at #23 over Gelinas. Curious, who did you vote for?

Anticipating that you'll get your knickers in a knot over my comment, I'll let you know I voted for Reinhart for the exact same reason.
Yes, I voted Reinhart.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #32
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:

Why is it "stupid"?

Plays define careers and organizations. They win you championships or lose you them.

Nilson scores that goal and he's a guy that would go down in Flames' history as scoring a cup winning OT goal. His play would be replayed on count down shows for the NHL for decades to come.

Instead it is just a play that Flames fans remember with a lot of pain, and few others probably recall - and he's just another guy on that team.

Moments matter in sports. A lot.

And we aren't talking about Nilson scoring "a goal in an important game". We are talking about him scoring an over time goal in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals to give this organization only their 2nd championship - something they didn't get. I'm curious what chances you recall that Iginla missed that matter as much as Bob Reichel's miss or Nilson's chance? I bet you can't. Why? Because moments like that are few and far between. That's why they matter.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #33
Bingo Jr.
Bingo's Official Offspring
Yes My Dad Knows I'm Here

Exp:

Voted reichel... He had the most votes. No idea who the heck he is...
Bingo Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 06:48 AM   #34
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
And we aren't talking about Nilson scoring "a goal in an important game". We are talking about him scoring an over time goal in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals to give this organization only their 2nd championship - something they didn't get. I'm curious what chances you recall that Iginla missed that matter as much as Bob Reichel's miss or Nilson's chance? I bet you can't. Why? Because moments like that are few and far between. That's why they matter.
No, Iginla's aren't memorable because he had so many freakin chances all the time because he was our most important offensive weapon for years. They are too numerous to remember, and because he managed to be successful so often as well, we forget those moments, but there are plenty. Nilson's chance stands out because he was rarely in that position to be the difference maker.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #35
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
No, Iginla's aren't memorable because he had so many freakin chances all the time because he was our most important offensive weapon for years. They are too numerous to remember, and because he managed to be successful so often as well, we forget those moments, but there are plenty. Nilson's chance stands out because he was rarely in that position to be the difference maker.
Nilson's chance stands out because it would have won the team a cup. Of all these chances you refer to re. Iginla, you can't recall a single one? He didn't have anything even close to the magnitude of the Nilson or Reichel opportunity.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #36
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo Jr. View Post
Voted reichel... He had the most votes. No idea who the heck he is...
I've failed you ...
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: