Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #701
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Maybe if Calgary had a SCF and 2 conference finals appearances in the previous 4 years they would get a pass?
Maybe. But the team finished second overall, and in non-fluky fashion (it wasn't at all like Hartley's miracle season). In fact, they did so with substandard goaltending out of Smith and a back hole in Neal.

So they had a bum series, and Mackinnon played out of his mind for a while. I'm not prepared to say the regular season was a mirage.

Do they have weak spots? Sure. But they also played a number of rookies plus Hanifin, the top line had a brand new guy on it, and Rittich was essentially a rookie starter as well. So I think they have some upward mobility just in the experience department. I also think Monahan, Gaudreau, Lindholm and Tkachuk have yet another gear to find.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #702
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ wow. Another gear from the top guys like Monahan and Lindholm?

That is pretty optimistic

(I generally agree with the post, and its gist, but I don’t expect another step change out of some guys who had career years. Hope I’m wrong!)
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #703
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

They're just entering the prime of their careers now, it's not that outrageous to suggest
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:44 PM   #704
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

(I generally agree with the post, and its gist, but I don’t expect another step change out of some guys who had career years. Hope I’m wrong!)
I think the expectation of a higher gear comes in the form of thinking that Gaudreau, Monahan and Lidholm have a hell of a lot more to offer in the playoffs. I tend to agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 03:45 PM   #705
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think the expectation of a higher gear comes in the form of thinking that Gaudreau, Monahan and Lidholm have a hell of a lot more to offer in the playoffs. I tend to agree.
If that’s the case, then I absolutely agree
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:13 PM   #706
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Maybe. But the team finished second overall, and in non-fluky fashion (it wasn't at all like Hartley's miracle season). In fact, they did so with substandard goaltending out of Smith and a back hole in Neal.

So they had a bum series, and Mackinnon played out of his mind for a while. I'm not prepared to say the regular season was a mirage.

Do they have weak spots? Sure. But they also played a number of rookies plus Hanifin, the top line had a brand new guy on it, and Rittich was essentially a rookie starter as well. So I think they have some upward mobility just in the experience department. I also think Monahan, Gaudreau, Lindholm and Tkachuk have yet another gear to find.
So the discussion started by saying I think the team would have been much better if the Zucker and Kadri trades that appeared to be fully complete did not fall through for the mystery reason with Zucker and the NTC with Kadri.

I did not say the team was bad but I liked the roster more with those players along with Lucic added and Frolik, Brodie, Jankowski, Neal removed. The comment came in that this was the second overall team in the league and still a great roster. I agree with that but the fact this team got slapped around by a team nearly 20pts below them in the standings is probably a reason they are not the consensus to repeat as a top 2 team in the west.

Further to that we have witnessed the following swings.

13/14: 77pts
14/15: 97pts
15/16: 77pts
16/17: 94pts
17/18: 84pts
18/19: 107pts

Based on the last 6 seasons this team is poised to take a step back. They won the west with no key injuries last year and tough to expect that to happen again. Adding another proven top 6 forward and top 2 line C would have really complimented the team and had them looking that much deeper and better heading into this season
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #707
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That's exactly what meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
So the discussion started by saying I think the team would have been much better if the Zucker and Kadri trades that appeared to be fully complete did not fall through for the mystery reason with Zucker and the NTC with Kadri.

I did not say the team was bad but I liked the roster more with those players along with Lucic added and Frolik, Brodie, Jankowski, Neal removed. The comment came in that this was the second overall team in the league and still a great roster. I agree with that but the fact this team got slapped around by a team nearly 20pts below them in the standings is probably a reasThe on they are not the consensus to repeat as a top 2 team in the west.

Further to that we have witnessed the following swings.

13/14: 77pts
14/15: 97pts
15/16: 77pts
16/17: 94pts
17/18: 84pts
18/19: 107pts

Based on the last 6 seasons this team is poised to take a step back. They won the west with no key injuries last year and tough to expect that to happen again. Adding another proven top 6 forward and top 2 line C would have really complimented the team and had them looking that much deeper and better heading into this season
The thing is that the earlier decent seasons, especially 14-15, were smoke and mirrors. In Hartley's season everything that could go right did, including a ton of come from behind wins. Analytics said they were bad, and the next year they regressed. GG's PO year was also a bit wacky - they had extended bad stretches. Like I said in my post, last year just didn't feel like a fluke to me. I thought they played good hockey and were rewarded. So I guess ink your premise is flawed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #708
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Hartley team was odd in that it featured a number of career-renaissance-type seasons from guys who seemed very unlikely to repeat them.

Jiri Hudler, Dennis Wideman, David Jones, Kris Russell, Lance Bouma, and Josh Jooris all had career-highlight seasons—but they aren't exactly the kind of players you need to rely on for that consistent excellence.

Now, guys like Johnny Gaudreau, Sean Monahan, Elias Lindholm, Matthew Tkachuk, Mark Giordano, Rasmus Andersson, and Noah Hanifin are all coming off career-best seasons, PLUS those kinds of ancillary guys like Derek Ryan, Mark Jankowski, etc. That's how you win -- you need your stars chugging, not lucky seasons from aging vets.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #709
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post

I've never given it a thought.

Both are very real.

Great season with some consistency that faded down the stretch somewhat and waned into the playoffs.

Good season.
Terrible series.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #710
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
If that’s the case, then I absolutely agree
I keep coming back to that Monahan quote with Steinberg.

Something to the effect of "I need to become a completely different player"

Couple that with Conroy calling him out on the morning show, and I hope a message has been delivered about being harder to play against. He doesn't have to be a banger, but the odd face wash wouldn't hurt. I think he quietly goes to the right places, but maybe drive the net once and a while.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #711
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that quote from Monahan (and one by Treliving about Monahan as well) makes me think Monahan may well be working on his 200 foot game and his aggressiveness on the puck on the O-zone as well. And that's what made me say what I did.

I think Tkachuk has another possible gear just because of his age. I think Gaudreau is a smart hockey player who is always thinking about new stuff. And Lindholm now has a season here under his belt. His new gear might also be as a full time C.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #712
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://flamesnation.ca/2019/12/24/b...tmas-wishlist/

Calgary had a deal agreed upon in principle with the Minnesota Wild just ahead of February’s trade deadline that would have seen them acquire Jason Zucker. However, things got tied up after Treliving signed off on a deal that reportedly would have sent Michael Frolik and a first round pick to Minnesota. In doing some digging on both sides, my understanding is things bogged down once Treliving sent the deal up the food chain. I’m not sure if it was a money issue, an issue with giving up a first rounder, or something else, but it truly was out of his hands.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #713
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again? How many times is that going to effing happen
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #714
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Pretty damn interesting. Frolik only makes $3 million this year so was Flames ownership tired of essentially eating money? Zucker actually gets paid $6.25 million in 2019/20.

Or were they reluctant to keep running a draft pick deficit?

My hunch? It’s the money.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #715
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
https://flamesnation.ca/2019/12/24/b...tmas-wishlist/

Calgary had a deal agreed upon in principle with the Minnesota Wild just ahead of February’s trade deadline that would have seen them acquire Jason Zucker. However, things got tied up after Treliving signed off on a deal that reportedly would have sent Michael Frolik and a first round pick to Minnesota. In doing some digging on both sides, my understanding is things bogged down once Treliving sent the deal up the food chain. I’m not sure if it was a money issue, an issue with giving up a first rounder, or something else, but it truly was out of his hands.
Does he now have full autonomy on his new contract signed in October?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #716
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t imagine any GM has the ability to spend $3 million of the owners money without asking.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #717
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Does he now have full autonomy on his new contract signed in October?
I would hope so. Frankly, I imagine it would be frustrating to do the work to orchestrate a deal and then have to go back and tell your friends that the deal is off because your parents said you werent allowed to come out and play.

I would want that authorization set in stone before doing the work to broker the deal in the first place.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #718
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Wasn't the report that Treliving was finally given full autonomy the LAST time he signed?

From 2017:
Quote:
Friedman says the Bishop deal to Calgary last summer was killed by Flames ownership:

https://www.fanragsports.com/news/fr...p-last-summer/

Quote:
“And you’ll remember last year Ben Bishop thought he was going to Calgary. He thought he had a six-year deal worth somewhere between $36-39 million and that deal was killed by Calgary ownership at the end of the day.

There was a similar report that ownership killed a potential Seguin trade back in 2013.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Add the reports of Treliving needing Ken King's approval to trade for Bishop again at the deadline and not getting an answer in time...

Kinda amazing Treliving even wanted to come back.

Though it sounds like his new contract comes with a guarantee of no Ken King meddling:

@LarryFisher_KDC
Big condition in Brad Treliving's new contract/re-signing with #Flames was full autonomy, meaning he can now make moves without King consent
I guess he doesn't need Ken King's permission but still needs Murray Edwards'? I'm sure it's not unusual around the NHL, but it's frustrating hearing about all the close calls the teams has to big trades that could have made a significant difference falling through because of ownership issues.

That Bishop trade and extension would have happened the year that Elliott #### the bed in the playoffs against Anaheim.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #719
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

And he would have gotten away with it too if it werent for those meddling owners!

Is giving up Pelletier too much of a kicker for Zucker to be the upgrade on Frolik? I dont know.

And we dodged a bullet with Bishop too IMO.

The one thing I dont like about tree is his penchant for dealing 1sts like candy when the organizational depth was not optimal.

Still dont like the Hamonic trade, felt very unnecessary. The Hamilton trade was worth it, but man would Barzal look good in this core. But we got Lindholm and Hanifin out of it so I'm okay with that.

Honestly, I'm kind of glad whoever nixed things, did. 1sets aren't pez.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2019, 04:13 PM   #720
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

In any privately-owned business, the owners dictate the limits of GM's authority on new acquisitions. NHL business is not that different. The owners own the team. It's absolutely their prerogative to approve or disapprove significant trades. If Katz wants Yakupov against all the advice he's been given by his minions, Katz gets Yakupov. If Edwards didn't like Zucker deal, he didn't approve it. His reasons don't really matter.