Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2022, 10:23 PM   #4641
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
really enjoyed "what is a woman?" by the daily wire
What did you enjoy about it? Is it honest in asking the titular question or does it just present Matt Walsh’s known views?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 10:44 PM   #4642
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
What did you enjoy about it? Is it honest in asking the titular question or does it just present Matt Walsh’s known views?
It's really well produced and they talked to a lot of interesting people. I'm not going to comment on the politics of it as that's a huge can of worms. But it's well put together
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:36 PM   #4643
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Steve Jobs was one of those movies I forgot about. Last night I noticed it was on Prime, and it was a great movie. The structure, dialogue, and writing all made for a gripping film, and the cast roped you in with their performances.

Fassbender looks nothing like Jobs, but it didn't really matter; I think this was one of my favourite Kate Winslet performances; and Rogan was, well, Seth Rogan - but he worked as Woz.

Massive step up from the dreadful Ashton Kutcher take from a few years prior.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:40 PM   #4644
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Steve Jobs was one of those movies I forgot about. Last night I noticed it was on Prime, and it was a great movie. The structure, dialogue, and writing all made for a gripping film, and the cast roped you in with their performances.

Fassbender looks nothing like Jobs, but it didn't really matter; I think this was one of my favourite Kate Winslet performances; and Rogan was, well, Seth Rogan - but he worked as Woz.

There are times I'm reminded of that Youtube Video of that toothless Spanish man on a talk show who just cant stop laughing and I think to myself:

I wonder if Casting Directors sit in a bar together and just have a laugh over drinks at things that they've done purely for the lulz?

"So...get this, get this! This one time I'm hired to cast for the role of Steve Jobs and so.....I figured...I hate this Director, he's a jerk and I dont need this crap, so I say myself: "Why not Ashton Kutcher?"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2022, 04:41 PM   #4645
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed. I saw Steve Jobs when it was in theatres and really enjoyed it. A much more interesting take than the Kutcher pic. The acting is obviously a step-up across the board.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:36 PM   #4646
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Steve Jobs is a perfect example why its more important to get the character correct than try to cast someone who looks the part. Fassbender looks nothing like Jobs but he nailed the role. Michael Stuhlbarg was great in his supporting role, as he always is
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2022, 01:56 PM   #4647
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Saw Top Gun Maverick last night. Beautifully shot movie. Deserving of IMAX IMO. Would have been easy to say just do CGI but using practical effects is becoming a dying art in action films and this one did well.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #4648
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

I never saw the AK one. I liked the Fassbender movie, and they tried to show that on a personal level that Jobs was an unrelenting Ahole which was needed.

But yeah, Winslet was pretty much the star of that movie.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:01 AM   #4649
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jurassic World: Dominion was an absolute mess.

Plot made almost zero sense and seemed completely out of place for a movie in this franchise. It was great seeing Laura Dern, Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum back in their roles, however there were zero stakes the entire run time.

Colin Trevorrow might be one of the worst writer/directors working today on high budget films.

If you’re a fan of the franchise, for sure see it. But if not don’t bother with your time. For a film about dinosaurs, the story had surprisingly little to do about them.
Old 06-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #4650
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why someone gave Trevorrow reigns to the JP franchise is beyond me. I think its all cause of that so-so, low budget "Monsters" movie he directed in the 2010s.

He's aggressively bad at directing. And the series was already not in the best place to begin with.

Involving the OG cast is just spitting on the franchise's grave. And yes, I haven't even seen this movie yet, but I could already gauge how poorly its going to go based on the last two and the trailers.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:38 AM   #4651
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once last night and it is as great as everyone says. It's been a long time since a movie filled me with such joy.

I also like that Letterboxd has changed the Watched icon on its page to a googly eye.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2022, 03:23 PM   #4652
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once last night and it is as great as everyone says. It's been a long time since a movie filled me with such joy.

I also like that Letterboxd has changed the Watched icon on its page to a googly eye.
Saw it with my sons - we all loved it. How sad is it, though, that I didn't even recognize Jamie Lee Curtis?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:26 PM   #4653
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Saw it with my sons - we all loved it. How sad is it, though, that I didn't even recognize Jamie Lee Curtis?
It’s a testament to the Wardobe and make up. Shes still looking pretty darn good outside of the frumpy clothes, fat suit and hilarious haircut.
Old 06-11-2022, 05:35 PM   #4654
NOISIA
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I enjoyed the new JP movie. Loved the "throwbacks/nods" to the previous movies.
NOISIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:29 PM   #4655
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"Remember that great piece of filmmaking that a much better director than I made that captured imaginations in the 90s? Well I'm hoping this greatest hits tour and the original cast we enticed back with big paycheques will help you overlook the rest of the feces we threw at the wall over 2.5 hours. We don't need to provide you with anything new and interesting when we can just create a modern knockoff of the old film for hundreds of millions of dollars!" -Trevorrow

Okay, okay. I'll wait to see it before passing judgment.
Old 06-12-2022, 03:11 AM   #4656
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice little gem on Netflix 'Old Henry' if you are a fan of elegiac westerns ala Peckinpah or Mallick
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #4657
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll second that--Old Henry was great when I watched it a number of months back. I'm gathering that the new JP is a download/stream rather than watching in the theatres from the comments in this thread...
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:02 PM   #4658
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Feels like a good day for 2.5 regrettable hours of Chris Pratt making hand signals at cranes in a green screen room.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:34 PM   #4659
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I found the ending for Top Gun Maverick to be too predictable and at times corny. That said the flying scenes were incredible.
Old 06-13-2022, 10:40 PM   #4660
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I found the ending for Top Gun Maverick to be too predictable and at times corny. That said the flying scenes were incredible.
It hit the optimal amount of nostalgia for me. Farfetched and a little corny for sure but that movie felt like such an immersive experience that I totally went with it.

Give Cruise credit for pulling off the role to perfection too. Not Oscar calibre obviously but his charisma just flies off the screen.

All in all, I had an incredible movie going experience.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote