Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #1
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default FIBA Basketball Worlds

Canada's announced their camp invites for this summer's FIBA Worlds, which will be held beginning of September in China.

http://basketball.ca/en/news-article...-team-training

Notably absent is Wiggins, but every other significant Canadian player is on the invite list, including 7 NBA rookies. Nick Nurse will be leading the coaching staff.

Here's my early guess at the roster:
Olynyk, Birch, Boucher
Powell, Thompson, Lyles
Brooks, Ejim
Barrett, Heslip, Stauskas
Murray, Gilgeous-Alexander, Joseph

It would be easy to imagine Wiltjer, Rautins, Pangos, Alexander-Walker or Clarke making the roster, too. Guards and bigs look good, wings are a noticeable weak-spot. Knowing Nurse, I could definitely see him going small, bringing another guard like Pangos or Scrubb, and using 3 guard lineups heavily.

It's going to be a tough start to the tournament, as they'll be slotted in a seeming group-of-death with Lithuania, Australia, and Senegal, needing to finish top 2 to advance. Sounds like Ben Simmons is 'doubtful' to play for Australia, but they're still a really solid squad.

The goal for Canada (beyond, obviously, medaling) is finishing in the top two in teams from the Americas, which would qualify them for the Olympics. That'll be hard, as every other team from the Americas has an easier group than us (including our archrival Venezuela getting the easiest draw in the tournament).
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Deep talented team, Canada's best ever I think. Wiggins apparently didn't feel the timing was right. Between his constant turning down his country and all the stupid bickering he and his family get into in Minnesota guy seems like he's kind of a princess off the court.

Was looking at their group, Australia seems talented but not as good as Canada on paper and Canada's got a way better team than Senegal or Lithuania. Hopefully they deliver the results!

Will be interesting to see if that young Canadian who got drafted by the Knicks suits up for Lithuania, media has some reports by his Dada saying he wants him to switch even though he doesn't have Lithuanian citizenship. That feels like a Canadian soccer story having Canadians get poached by their parent's countries.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well the idea was fun while it lasted, Murray and SGA officially out. Looks like we're relying on Joseph, Olynyk and a bunch of Scrubbs to make it to the Olympics. It's too bad because I was really looking forward to a competitive team and tournament.
pria(kin)16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pria(kin)16 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pria(kin)16 View Post
Well the idea was fun while it lasted, Murray and SGA officially out. Looks like we're relying on Joseph, Olynyk and a bunch of Scrubbs to make it to the Olympics. It's too bad because I was really looking forward to a competitive team and tournament.
Definitely disappointing! Had the potential to put together a really strong team for this tourney. I dont understand why it seems to always fall apart.

Now Chris Boucher has left the team and Kelly Olynyk is injured.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #5
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Cory Joseph has withdrawn, no NBA players left. Pretty disappointing but I'll still be supporting this team every game. Hope they can finish high enough to get us in the last chance tourney next summer.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:54 AM   #6
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

That 3rd quarter was amazing. I really thought they could have won.

Australia just got on fire from 3 in the 4th and Cory Joseph went a little too hero ball for my liking. They need to win the next two if they want any hope of getting out of this route d.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #7
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

And we're eliminated. Hopefully we can finish the loser bracket well to make the last chance tournament next summer. I highly doubt our top NBA players will even go, but here's hoping. I'm going to pretty disappointed if we have to wait at least another 5 years.....
The Following User Says Thank You to pria(kin)16 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #8
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is pathetic from the "golden age" of Canadian basketball players. Freak Gianis is playing for Greece and he's still going to sign his monster deal.

Turds like Wiggins, Murray and some other have their max contracts. They're set for life, yet they don't want to play the country.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turkey were up by 1 with 2 free throws and 5 seconds left.

End up missing both free throws, US gets the fast break, and then a foul. Make both shots and are now up by 1.

Just horrible for Turkey.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #10
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Turkey were up by 1 with 2 free throws and 5 seconds left.

End up missing both free throws, US gets the fast break, and then a foul. Make both shots and are now up by 1.

Just horrible for Turkey.
Huge choke job by Turkey. You could see their foul shooters stiffen up in the moment. I feel bad for them.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #11
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
This is pathetic from the "golden age" of Canadian basketball players. Freak Gianis is playing for Greece and he's still going to sign his monster deal.

Turds like Wiggins, Murray and some other have their max contracts. They're set for life, yet they don't want to play the country.
No kidding. We've been hearing for years about all this great basketball talent coming out of Canada, Steve Nash has revamped the program, etc and it's all fizzled out so fast.

NZ has a similar problem with their one star player, Steven Adams. Every time a tournament comes around theres a stir of "will he wont he" in the media, and the answer is always no.

I think it sucks that FIBA is trying to raise the profile of international basketball but the NBA seems indifferent to it. Imagine how crappy the FIFA world cup would be if all the big money superstars just passed on it for all the various excuses these NBA players give time and again.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #12
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
No kidding. We've been hearing for years about all this great basketball talent coming out of Canada, Steve Nash has revamped the program, etc and it's all fizzled out so fast.

NZ has a similar problem with their one star player, Steven Adams. Every time a tournament comes around theres a stir of "will he wont he" in the media, and the answer is always no.

I think it sucks that FIBA is trying to raise the profile of international basketball but the NBA seems indifferent to it. Imagine how crappy the FIFA world cup would be if all the big money superstars just passed on it for all the various excuses these NBA players give time and again.
In soccer it is the reverse. Your play on the national team is a ticket to big clubs not the other way around. So you owe the country for development. Plus there are 200 countries.

plus there are many big soccer leagues and clubs and just one NBA.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 07:23 AM   #13
pria(kin)16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Bumping this thread as the draw for the last chance tourney is out. We drew Giannis which sucks but hopefully we have the depth to beat them. Murray, SGA and Nickeil Alexander-Walker all committed last night, here's hoping for a full NBA roster and our first Olympic appearance in 20 years....

The other teams Canada will have to beat out are China, Uruguay, Czech Republic and Turkey. As we saw this summer, Turkey is legit too so it's not an easy road out. Hopefully the home crowd, an NBA caliber roster combined with Nick Nurse's coaching gets us through.
Old 11-27-2019, 03:01 PM   #14
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also saw that RJ Barrett said he'd play too.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/...pic-qualifier/