Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #921
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Goldberg should’ve had taker straightened before he falls back on the suplex.
Also, Goldberg needed to hug a half second longer before he lets go on the tombstone

Both botches are on Greenberg.

Edit: that suplex was supposed to be a Jackhammer. Lol... that was even worse

Last edited by Scorch; 06-07-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:17 AM   #922
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Goldberg should’ve had taker straightened before he falls back on the suplex.
Also, Goldberg needed to hug a half second longer before he lets go on the tombstone

Both botches are on Greenberg.

Edit: that suplex was supposed to be a Jackhammer. Lol... that was even worse

This match reminded me so much of WCW at the height of the NWO when the older wrestlers went out and couldn't do anything because they were way past their expiry date or didn't care and half assed it, but they were the "draws" and the mid card younger guys were killing it and getting paid like crap.

Except this card had 4 old guys who were having trouble moving around the ring in Gilberg, UT HHH and Orton (who just doesn't give a crap anyomre) but the under card wasn't great either.

In fact WWE should have had Goldberg come out and take a finger poke of doom.

Somehow every single booker out there has this belief that old wrestlers are big money draws and because of that they never build up their mid card talent.

I mean WWE should be telling Goldberg, UT, HHH and others that they are never wrestling again.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #923
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that bump Ibushi took on the ring apron is one of the nastiest things I've ever seen. Will try to upload a video of it if I can. Wish that guy would chill the hell out a bit.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #924
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

2:40 of this video. Cap, you gotta see this. I have no idea how he wasn't KO'd.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #925
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Jesus Christ, that's genuinely fortunate that we're not talking about a paralyzed or dead wrestler after watching that. Look wrestling in Japan in notoriously stiff and hard or strong. But that was just outright dangerous.

When you read a lot of wrestler's biographies they talk about working Stiff matches but they can count on their opponents not to be dangerous or sloppy or uncaring.

What I have seen a lot of lately is that Wrestlers and especially new ones are a lot more dangerous then they used to be because they want to make it look more believable or strong style.

In the 90's when Hardcore wrestling and backyard wrestling styles really took off there was a concern that fans were becoming more and more blood thirsty and someone was going to die doing something stupid to win over the crowd. Now because fans seems to want a more believable style of wrestling or a wrestling MMA hybrid we're seeing more open stiff punches and kicks and even in some matches submission holds that are one wrong application from serious injuries.

BTW that Driver at 3:18 was crazy sloppy dangerous as well.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #926
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Jesus Christ, that's genuinely fortunate that we're not talking about a paralyzed or dead wrestler after watching that. Look wrestling in Japan in notoriously stiff and hard or strong. But that was just outright dangerous.

When you read a lot of wrestler's biographies they talk about working Stiff matches but they can count on their opponents not to be dangerous or sloppy or uncaring.
And Naito is generally a pretty safe worker and I would say has maybe one of the "softest" strong styles in Japan. I really can't tell who's at fault in that on either but this is the second time in the last 6 months that Ibushi has been on the receiving end of a botched spot.

I do think you have a point though. I love NJPW but some of the stuff you see is downright stupid. Dragon Lee dropping Takahashi on his head last June was inexcusable.

The most insane thing is Ibushi got up, and wrestled for another 10 min after that. After the match he totally had jelly legs, but even still. As my one buddy put it "I thought he was going to be eating through a straw for the rest of his life after that."
Old 06-09-2019, 11:33 PM   #927
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ibushi's comments on the spot.

Quote:
"Is that supposed to be something crazy?

It didn't really affect me that much.

A German on concrete or asphalt would've been better."
I legitimately wonder if that guy's ultimate goal is to die in the ring. It's a shame too, because he's probably one of the top 5 wrestlers on the planet and he's unnecessarily shortening his career.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 AM   #928
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I remember watching an interview with Mick Foley where he said that his style was his biggest regret, not because he ended up hurt so badly, but because everyone decided to follow the same track in terms of doing and taking these huge risk moves.

Bret Hart said that his proudest accomplishment was that he didn't hurt anyone in the ring. He used a real looking style, but he didn't have to risk his life or others. I don't think Bret would have lasted in this generation because psychology and story telling is really not in the match anymore, instead its cramming as many crazy spots into a match as possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 12:34 AM   #929
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I remember watching an interview with Mick Foley where he said that his style was his biggest regret, not because he ended up hurt so badly, but because everyone decided to follow the same track in terms of doing and taking these huge risk moves.

Bret Hart said that his proudest accomplishment was that he didn't hurt anyone in the ring. He used a real looking style, but he didn't have to risk his life or others. I don't think Bret would have lasted in this generation because psychology and story telling is really not in the match anymore, instead its cramming as many crazy spots into a match as possible.
So Ric Flair was right about Foley. Taking risky high spots and indirectly encouraging future generations to follow suit
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #930
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Let's be honest, strong style in Japan was not influenced by Mick Foley. That's an Inoki special. Kota doing/taking dangerous moves probably didn't have much to do with Foley's contributions as that of the prime years of Hashimoto, Mutoh, Choshu, and others. He's just following in a long line of strong style performers but with an escalation to compete on the world stage for audiences - something that NJPW now has in many more handfuls than Foley's prime years in the 90's.

You want to see an insanely dangerous move? Check out Dragon Lee's tope suicida from yesterday as well!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1137650777814642688
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #931
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1138124982683340801

Old 06-14-2019, 09:08 AM   #932
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ibushi may have suffered vision loss as a result of the head trauma he took in that match. Hopefully it's not permanent and he's learned his lesson.

https://www.bodyslam.net/2019/06/13/...o-at-dominion/
Old 06-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #933
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

AEW sells out their Labour Day weekend show in Chicago in 15 minutes.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #934
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
AEW sells out their Labour Day weekend show in Chicago in 15 minutes.

Its going to be interesting to see how this goes, and as AEW becomes more regular if the quality can last.

I feel like Pro Wrestling is heading into a major down cycle right now. WWE is awful, I've stopped watching Raw and Smackdown, and mainly watch NXT and 205 live.

TNA to me has always been terrible.

ROH I never got into it because it was more a spot show then anything else.

Who knows, maybe AEW will fire up the competition.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #935
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Ibushi may have suffered vision loss as a result of the head trauma he took in that match. Hopefully it's not permanent and he's learned his lesson.

https://www.bodyslam.net/2019/06/13/...o-at-dominion/

Not a surprise, there was so many really dangerous spots in that match and a couple that were just sloppy and dangerous.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:29 PM   #936
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who knows, maybe AEW will fire up the competition.
NJPW is still really good even if some of the spots are a bit over thd top. MLW on DAZN is decent as well.

I honestly think AEW would be smart to see if they can get a residence in Las Vegas for their weekly TV shows. Cuts down on travel, allows wrestlers to move their families to where they're working and gives you a homegrown audience similar to NXT's while also being a tourist draw for wrestling fans.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 12:36 AM   #937
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
NJPW is still really good even if some of the spots are a bit over thd top. MLW on DAZN is decent as well.

I honestly think AEW would be smart to see if they can get a residence in Las Vegas for their weekly TV shows. Cuts down on travel, allows wrestlers to move their families to where they're working and gives you a homegrown audience similar to NXT's while also being a tourist draw for wrestling fans.

I still remember going to a WCW Saturday Night taping in Florida at Disney. I'm sure all of you junkies remember the spinning ring and it became a C show. They had cheer and boo lights up because mainly it was Disney Park tourists getting out of the heat and not wrestling fans.

If they can establish a loyal vegas audience then staying there and not doing a ton of travel is great. NXT works because those fans see themselves as the new ECW fanbase. But you always worry about burning out a fanbase. When you're stationary if you have a few bad cards in a row you can suddenly see a empty crowd in a hurry.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #938
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I was under the impression that AEW was going to tour for their weekly show, but not do a ton of live events.

Where if you're on Raw, you show up to Raw, then the rest of the week are Live Events. AEW isn't going to focus on the live events.

I could be misremebering, but I think that model works as fans across the country get to see the product and be part of the tv tapings, yet you aren't burning out talent.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #939
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I was under the impression that AEW was going to tour for their weekly show, but not do a ton of live events.

Where if you're on Raw, you show up to Raw, then the rest of the week are Live Events. AEW isn't going to focus on the live events.

I could be misremebering, but I think that model works as fans across the country get to see the product and be part of the tv tapings, yet you aren't burning out talent.

Its possible, I don't know, the shame of it is that live events have always been great. Since the live event results don't really "Count" you see some spontaneity and craziness that you don't see on regular TV. They showed a video recently of a WWE live event where Dean errr Moxley sold being knocked out by laying in the ring for about an hour after the show ended while the crew was ripping down the ring. I like that kind of stuff. I remember going to a WWF card where they did a chase between heels running away from faces, and the heels were all screaming like little girls it was hilarious.

At the end of the day though, house shows used to be extremely profitable before the days of downside guarantees because you would stack the house and the wrestlers would get paid a share, but you used to make huge money on a single house show as the promotion. Now its not the case with declining house show numbers.

If they. the WWE and AEW and TNA and others want to protect the wrestlers bodies and their careers they should cut down to minimal live shows, but the wrestlers will have to take less on their downside guarantees to do it.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #940
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Especially early on it would be smart

Keep the tv stuff in vegas, travel around for the big shows once every few months
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote