Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2020, 12:28 PM   #461
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What are hockey parents thoughts on spring hockey etc?

There are a lot of options around the city, I've had my son in a few (Havoc Hockey, Conroy Hockey) and both had their pros and cons.

Those 2 were heavily focused on skill development, I'm curious about the various 3 on 3 type of spring hockey programs that seem to be gaining popularity.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #462
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
What are hockey parents thoughts on spring hockey etc?

There are a lot of options around the city, I've had my son in a few (Havoc Hockey, Conroy Hockey) and both had their pros and cons.

Those 2 were heavily focused on skill development, I'm curious about the various 3 on 3 type of spring hockey programs that seem to be gaining popularity.
Philosophically I'm in favor of kids changing up sports with the seasons, I think that is better overall for their development. So based on that I am not a fan of spring hockey in general. However I did have my daughter involved with a very informal 3v3 in her later years of minor hockey but it was more of a glorified shinny than a registered group. She knew all the girls and it was more about getting out and playing than having coaches, doing drills etc.

But if I was going to pick between anything and 3v3 I would choose 3v3 every time. I believe the skill development they will get here is superior to other environments. They get more touches, more chances to do things, and their is no traditional forward and defence so they learn about transitioning and are forced to play F and D by default because of this. It forces them out of their comfort zone and encourages creativity.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2020, 11:15 PM   #463
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best spring hockey decision we ever made was getting our son into baseball.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 03:11 PM   #464
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baseball in calagry is a roll of the dice, as very rarely is the spring good.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #465
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, so much for both spring hockey and baseball... and probably the fall hockey season? But, say there is a 2020-21 season, will you let your child play?
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #466
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ i would let my child play. the reality is if there is school, then the kids should be participating in their regular sports schedule.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #467
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

there will be a season. I doubt it starts on time.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #468
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Well, so much for both spring hockey and baseball... and probably the fall hockey season? But, say there is a 2020-21 season, will you let your child play?
I still have my son's spring hockey league which hasn't cancelled and is holding our fees.

And High School baseball has yet to officially can their season.

And summer baseball hasn't cancelled anything.

So while some of this is delaying the inevitable, I'm not too worried about fall sports yet. It is only April 14th after all.

But we might have some chubby kids rolling around a few months from now!
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #469
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i was thinking the other day that it will be interesting to see how this break in sports and training impacts some of the higher end players. some kids who are ranked and lazy may fall quickly - while others who are more motivated and able to train on their own may jump onto someone's radar.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #470
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well there are many who say year round sports (of any kind but let's use hockey in this case) are not good for athletic development. Kids are better off varying what they do in the off season so maybe it will all wash out evenly at the end of the day. Provided they are disciplined enough to train independently it might be okay but I agree it will be tougher for those that are less motivated. It might be tough to find a training regimen that works or is effective to do by yourself but it's possible. People can still train, and can still train outdoors - just not together. I'm picturing stories of the old days when farm kids trained for football by throwing bales and lifting tractor tires. But modified for today's world.

What will be interesting to see is what happens to the Elite streams that basically start up in mid August, they may have to delay tryouts which will push community evaluations back further as well.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #471
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
What will be interesting to see is what happens to the Elite streams that basically start up in mid August, they may have to delay tryouts which will push community evaluations back further as well.
I think pushing the Elite start date back could actually be a good thing. Elite tryouts are usually done by the last week of September, if it were the last week of October instead, that would be a better time for a checkpoint to see if/how the winter Covid season is shaping up.

FYI, Hockey Calgary circulated the following bulletin as of 2 weeks ago:

Quote:
Hockey Calgary understands and shares the disappointment that every hockey player, family, fan, and volunteer is feeling right now. As a passionate hockey community we need to stay positive during this time of challenge, and help lift each other up. Over the past couple of years Hockey Calgary has focused on developing the leadership skills of our youth. We are proud of these initiatives and we’re hopeful that some of these skills are benefitting them now. At times like this we truly see the value of this and having strong leadership to guide us through the challenges we face.

At this point of the Pandemic there are still more questions than answers, I have been in touch with the leaders of Hockey Alberta to understand the go forward position for the 20-21 season, but to date there are still no firm decisions. The tentative direction is as follows:

- Continue to prepare to open the season as planned in September
- Plans are to open registration as per usual, but this is a fluid process and may be delayed as more decisions are made by government, municipalities and governing bodies
- Consideration should be made for a reduction in enrollment
- Payment plans and options may be more important in this difficult economic time
- Reduction in program offering may need to be considered

This is very topline information, but hopefully provides a little guidance, I will continue to update each of you as I find out more. If you have any specific questions please feel to give me a call and I will do my best to answer. I thank you for your support and understanding as we
navigate this unprecedented time.

We will ‘Drop the Puck’ again!!

Stay Healthy,
Kevin Kobelka
Executive Director
Old 04-18-2020, 12:56 PM   #472
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think pushing the Elite start date back could actually be a good thing. Elite tryouts are usually done by the last week of September, if it were the last week of October instead, that would be a better time for a checkpoint to see if/how the winter Covid season is shaping up.
Pushing back the start date for Elite wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion, it drove me nuts the were asking families to give up the last two weeks of summer just for tryouts. And they still dragged out until near the end of September.

The only issue with pushing back the end dates to late October is you are pushing back community evaluations for bantam and midget which essentially do not start until elite is finished. That makes for a very late start for community. Of course you could get around this by starting community evals while elite is still going on as it doesn't affect the lower levels at all. They could also shorten the evaluation timeline for elite down from a month to a couple of weeks if they wanted in order to keep community from having to push their schedules back.
Old 04-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #473
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Saw a tweet exchange yesterday regarding a boundary change vote. Hockey Calgary said no comment but that "a formal announcement will be released in the coming days".

Anyone have any insight? I assume they went back to last years failed attempt and worked behind the scenes with the associations.

(sorry, I don't know how to embed a tweet)
To be shot down in Flames!

Last edited by hixxes; 04-29-2020 at 07:57 PM.
hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #474
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am assuming part of it is folding the Saints again. Their timbits/novice enrolment was down, plus a number of players got releases at the older levels. Rumours were that they blew their reserve fund on legal fees fighting the change last year.

Will be interesting what happens, do the Warriors agree to dissolve this time? As they were the other main association fighting changes last time. Seems things are a lot more quiet this time, so maybe nothing major?
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #475
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, this was not very well publicized, but here it is:

https://www.hockeycalgary.ca/assets/...t_-_Apr_30.pdf

There is a lot of stuff in there, boundary changes, plus stuff about changes to U11 (Atom), shortening seeding round, etc..
Old 04-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #476
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

1. NE Zone – Saints, Simons Valley, McKnight, Blackfoot:
For the 2020-21 season, the Saints Association will only operate U18 Midget) and House League programs. Remaining Saints players will be distributed across the Associations of Simons Valley, McKnight and Blackfoot

2. NW Zone – Bow River, Crowfoot, NW Warriors
The implementation of the merger from 3 Associations to 2 in the NW Zone will be delayed until the 2021-22 season

3. Southeast – Blackfoot, Bow Valley
The Douglasdale Community will move to the Blackfoot Association

4. Southwest – Glenlake, Southwest
The CKE Communities will move to the Southwest Association
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #477
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Apparently, Quebec is working on an "Extreme" plan for a return to minor hockey, which might include:

- No travel hockey at any level,
- Community based hockey only
- Teams of 6-8 in a 3on3 or 4on4 format.
- No body checking at any level
- Full visors required
- Applies at all levels, Midget AAA on down

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/1...e-plan-extreme
Old 05-19-2020, 02:02 PM   #478
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently, Quebec is working on an "Extreme" plan for a return to minor hockey, which might include:

- Full visors required

Would be interested to see how that would be implemented in rural settings.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:44 PM   #479
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

- Full visors required

Full visors for everyone? Does that mean no cages anymore? If true, it will be extremely difficult for parents to find full visors for their kids.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 05:06 AM   #480
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Full visors for everyone? Does that mean no cages anymore? If true, it will be extremely difficult for parents to find full visors for their kids.
Really are visors going to make that much of a difference? they still all are cage like at the bottom. I don't see the point.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post: