Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2020, 10:02 AM   #941
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I agree not the best comment and could have been worded better, but really stupid by the guy to get out of his vehicle and dig around your backseat when an officer pulls you over.
Agreed. Really dumb choice of words for sure, but;

Quote:
In a statement to CTV, CPS said “at that time the driver exited the vehicle and began to grab items from the back seat of his car. The officer directed the driver several times to refrain from doing so, and asked to see the driver’s hands, explaining that it is an officer-safety issue.”
I can see where the officer is coming from

Last edited by btimbit; 08-30-2020 at 10:08 AM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #942
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree not the best comment and could have been worded better, but really stupid by the guy to get out of his vehicle and dig around your backseat when an officer pulls you over. It's really simple, if you are pulled over by the police, don't disobey the police officer instructions.

Doesn't sound like he was being pulled over when he got out....

Quote:
The 18-year-old initially saw the police officer at a four-way stop near the Happy Can Bottle Depot around 9 in the morning. Ghanem says he stopped and turned into the parking lot of the depot, parked his car and started to take the bags of bottles out. It was then he alleges the police officer pulled into the lot and started yelling at him to get back in his car.
But why can't it just be a stupid thing for a cop to say? Why is bad behavior always someone else's fault?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #943
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Doesn't sound like he was being pulled over when he got out....
Read the entire article, not just the start where he tries to make it sound like he was minding his own business at the bottle depot when a cop happens to walk by. The guy was pulled over.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #944
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the cop pulled up after he was already stopped and out, but the kid kept rooting around his back seat after being asked to stop. That's absolutely a legit concern for the police, even if what he said wasn't the right way to handle it.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:22 AM   #945
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Read the entire article, not just the start where he tries to make it sound like he was minding his own business at the bottle depot when a cop happens to walk by. The guy was pulled over.
I read the whole article and it's unclear. But the guy says he pulled in...took stuff out of his back seat when the cop pulled in and told him he was in danger of being shot. It sounds to me like he wasnt being pursued by a cop with flashing lights. Do you have more info? I also don't believe the seatbelt ticket either.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:28 AM   #946
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I agree not the best comment and could have been worded better, but really stupid by the guy to get out of his vehicle and dig around your backseat when an officer pulls you over. It's really simple, if you are pulled over by the police, don't disobey the police officer instructions.
The cop was looking for an altercation. If the cop saw the kid not wearing a seatbelt why did he not stop him right away and give him a ticket? The cop followed him to the parking lot of a bottle depot and wanted an altercation. The "you cannot disobey a police officer" remark is silly. If someone didn't do anything wrong why does the police have a right to treat someone like that?
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #947
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
The cop was looking for an altercation. If the cop saw the kid not wearing a seatbelt why did he not stop him right away and give him a ticket? The cop followed him to the parking lot of a bottle depot and wanted an altercation. The "you cannot disobey a police officer" remark is silly. If someone didn't do anything wrong why does the police have a right to treat someone like that?
Were you there or something?

The article makes it sound like the cop saw him just as he turned into the parking lot, not pulling up until the kid was already parked makes sense to me
Old 08-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #948
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
He wasn't pulled over. He was at the parking lot of the bottle Depot when the police officer approached him.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #949
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Were you there or something?

The article makes it sound like the cop saw him just as he turned into the parking lot, not pulling up until the kid was already parked makes sense to me
The article says he parked his car and started getting the bottles out of his car, that's when the police pulled into the parking lot.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #950
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The article says he parked his car and started getting the bottles out of his car, that's when the police pulled into the parking lot.
So the cop sees him pulling in without a seatbelt on, and by the time he turned around and pulled in behind him the kid was already out. He gets back in, then when the cop is talking to him, he gets back out

Last edited by btimbit; 08-30-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:36 AM   #951
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He wasn't pulled over. He was at the parking lot of the bottle Depot when the police officer approached him.
I think the timeline is:
Sees cop at 4-way stop.
he went in the bottle depot parking lot.
Got out of his car to get bottles.
Police officer tells him he’s getting a ticket and to go back in car
Got back into his car.
Realized they could be spilling
Got back out of his car to fix the bottles
Cop tells him get back in the car that’s how you get shot.

It’s all in the article. I don’t see the ambiguity you guys are talking about.

Quote:
The 18-year-old initially saw the police officer at a four-way stop near the Happy Can Bottle Depot around 9 in the morning. Ghanem says he stopped and turned into the parking lot of the depot, parked his car and started to take the bags of bottles out. It was then he alleges the police officer pulled into the lot and started yelling at him to get back in his car.

Ghanem says the officer was ticketing him for not wearing seatbelt, something the teen says is untrue.

Ghanem says he got back into his vehicle but wanted to make sure the bottles in his bag weren’t leaking so he went back outside the vehicle to double check.

“I told him I don’t want the milk to leak into my car because it stinks,” said Ghanem.

“And he said that is not my problem and that’s one way to get shot. I looked at him like ... shot with a gun? It honestly blew my mind that he said that to me.”
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:43 AM   #952
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The way I take it, he was approached in the parking lot by a cop assuming in full uniform and a police car after he parked? Doesn't that still mean he was "pulled over"? I mean you don't actually have to be driving when the traffic stop occurs do you?

So the cop sees him driving to the depot without a seatbelt, guy parks, traffic stop happens. Guy gets out, goes to his back seat and reaches in or otherwise is moving things around this in his backseat. I am sure that caused some alarm bells to go off with the cop and I don't think that's unreasonable. The comment obviously should have been worded better.

The fact is, there are alot of people on this board that have a view of the profession and NOTHING will change the way they perceive any event involving misconduct (posts 939 and 945 are good examples).

These threads have become an echo chamber of the like minded and any notion that you could have even a slightly nuanced conversation is a complete fallacy.
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #953
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would need to see the camera footage because the article is unclear on what happens. If the guy didn't know the officer have pulled him over when he was grabbing at his bottles then it's makes the cop look a lot worse. The article did say the guy was warned to show his hands multiple times, but without video it's hard to say how unresponsive he was being.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #954
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
The way I take it, he was approached in the parking lot by a cop assuming in full uniform and a police car after he parked? Doesn't that still mean he was "pulled over"? I mean you don't actually have to be driving when the traffic stop occurs do you?

So the cop sees him driving to the depot without a seatbelt, guy parks, traffic stop happens. Guy gets out, goes to his back seat and reaches in or otherwise is moving things around this in his backseat. I am sure that caused some alarm bells to go off with the cop and I don't think that's unreasonable. The comment obviously should have been worded better.

The fact is, there are alot of people on this board that have a view of the profession and NOTHING will change the way they perceive any event involving misconduct (posts 939 and 945 are good examples).

These threads have become an echo chamber of the like minded and any notion that you could have even a slightly nuanced conversation is a complete fallacy.
If a cop randomly starts yelling "get back in your car" out of nowhere, how does the person know their being pulled over?
Old 08-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #955
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I think regardless of what the exact details were, telling someone in this situation “that’s one way to get shot” is insane.

If a cop is so scared of the people they’re protecting or so stupid that they think shooting is a reasonable response, they should not be a cop. The fact that we excuse even the idea that this person may have done something worthy of being shot and killed is ridiculous.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 10:54 AM   #956
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If a cop randomly starts yelling "get back in your car" out of nowhere, how does the person know their being pulled over?
If it was me and a cop was yelling at me to get back in my car, I guess that's how I would know.

But are we discussing the article or just random encounters?
Old 08-30-2020, 10:58 AM   #957
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think regardless of what the exact details were, telling someone in this situation “that’s one way to get shot” is insane.

If a cop is so scared of the people they’re protecting or so stupid that they think shooting is a reasonable response, they should not be a cop. The fact that we excuse even the idea that this person may have done something worthy of being shot and killed is ridiculous.
Seriously man, why do you always go there?

While at times, I think you have good things to say, why must you always try and get your point across by using hyperbole and calling people stupid or otherwise tossing out insults at things or people you disagree with.

I am not even sure you're aware you do it. As I said, I think you have some good things to contribute, but lately, you have really gone off the rails. Can I buzz buddy you a beer or something?
Old 08-30-2020, 11:05 AM   #958
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
If it was me and a cop was yelling at me to get back in my car, I guess that's how I would know.

But are we discussing the article or just random encounters?
Why should anyone have the right to tell me to get back into your car if you've done nothing wrong. If I've done something wrong and I'm told by a police officer to get in my car then I agree.

The police should be able to deescalate a situation, not make it worse. And by saying "this is how you get shot" shows the officer was never in a mindset to deescalate the situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 11:12 AM   #959
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Why should anyone have the right to tell me to get back into your car if you've done nothing wrong. If I've done something wrong and I'm told by a police officer to get in my car then I agree.

The police should be able to deescalate a situation, not make it worse. And by saying "this is how you get shot" shows the officer was never in a mindset to deescalate the situation.
But didn't the article say he wasn't wearing a seatbelt? Again, are we talking about this incident or something else?

I reread the article, it seems to me the comment was made after the situation was "deescalated". It was a poorly worded teaching moment that way I read it.

Either way, we can all agree, the journalist that wrote the article likely should have been clearer. But I won't judge an entire profession over a few poorly written articles. But that's just how I roll.
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Otto For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #960
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He did comply with the police officers initial request to get back in the car and appears to have known at that point the police officer was giving him a ticket. So it appears the bolded is what was happening at the start of the situation.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote