Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #481
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hockey Canada has rescinded their ban on all sanctioned events meaning each individual member (Hockey Alberta etc.) can resume play when their respective local/provincial authorities deem it is safe. Doesn't mean things can now go ahead immediately but this is the first step in play resuming so it is important.

https://www.hockeyalberta.ca/news/re...covid-19-1211/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #482
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
Really are visors going to make that much of a difference? they still all are cage like at the bottom. I don't see the point.
I saw this just now and remembered this thread...

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/baue...hockey-players

Seems like something that would fog up constantly.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 09:27 PM   #483
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
I saw this just now and remembered this thread...

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/baue...hockey-players

Seems like something that would fog up constantly.
I wore an itech full shield all through minor hockey. Put some Pert plus on the inside and it will never fog up.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:51 PM   #484
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here is Hockey Calgary's return to play plan for the fall: https://www.hockeycalgary.ca/assets/...rn_to_Play.pdf

Community will essentially be tiered house league within each association. Skills only evaluations will be used to rank players to split them into mini leagues of 50.

Elite will start as skills-only evaluations to select a group of players who will then compete via scrimmage for team spots. The team eventually gets paired with another team for game play.
Old 06-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #485
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Here is Hockey Calgary's return to play plan for the fall: https://www.hockeycalgary.ca/assets/...rn_to_Play.pdf

Community will essentially be tiered house league within each association. Skills only evaluations will be used to rank players to split them into mini leagues of 50.

Elite will start as skills-only evaluations to select a group of players who will then compete via scrimmage for team spots. The team eventually gets paired with another team for game play.
How will that work for kids trying out for elite and not making it. 14 day isloaltion before coming back to community?

Mccree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:52 PM   #486
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
How will that work for kids trying out for elite and not making it. 14 day isloaltion before coming back to community?
I am assuming they can still do the skills evaluations during the 14 day period, just no scrimmaging... and there won't be scrimmaging in community evals.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 10:58 PM   #487
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sounds like their contingency plan, not their plan. At this point it is still up in the air as to whether they can go all out or whether we are stuck in phase two.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #488
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be interesting to see how GHC (Girls Hockey Calgary) can make this work if they do not have enough teams in each age division to make their own cohort. Also, unlike the other MHA's GHC teams are composed of players drawn from across the city (or north/south part of the city of they split) so there won't be the same geographic isolation that the other MHA's can offer by keeping within their own cohort. Same would go for any of the smaller associations I guess.

Last edited by Lubicon; 06-28-2020 at 12:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:49 PM   #489
metroneck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Was hoping to ride out the pandemic in the US, but I’m running into Visa issues, and might have to move back to Canada at the end of August. Not sure if we’ll land in Vancouver or Calgary.

Part of the decision is my son’s hockey. He’s an ‘06 AAA (2nd year Bantam) in CO. Have try-outs happened already? Does he have any options for to make a Rep team in Sept? What does the start of the season look like?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
metroneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:55 PM   #490
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroneck View Post
Was hoping to ride out the pandemic in the US, but I’m running into Visa issues, and might have to move back to Canada at the end of August. Not sure if we’ll land in Vancouver or Calgary.

Part of the decision is my son’s hockey. He’s an ‘06 AAA (2nd year Bantam) in CO. Have try-outs happened already? Does he have any options for to make a Rep team in Sept? What does the start of the season look like?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
so you would be looking at the quadrant system, not too late, but the clock is ticking ( like Aug 1 reg deadline)I would think...

here is one example (Northwest)

https://www.nwcaa.ca/

the others Northstars (NE), Royals (SW), Buffs (SE) likely to be very similar on timelines

I actually am less aware of what seasons are expected to look like at that age right now hopefully someone else can fill you in
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #491
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Will be interesting to see how GHC (Girls Hockey Calgary) can make this work if they do not have enough teams in each age division to make their own cohort. Also, unlike the other MHA's GHC teams are composed of players drawn from across the city (or north/south part of the city of they split) so there won't be the same geographic isolation that the other MHA's can offer by keeping within their own cohort. Same would go for any of the smaller associations I guess.
GHC is a horrendous organization.

I can't wait till my daughter is no longer playing in it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:05 AM   #492
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just wondering,
How many other parents are considering keeping their kids out of minor hockey this year?
I have 3 boys, 2 in initiation (U7), and one who will be in 2nd year U11 and my wife's parents live in our basement. My father in law is immune compromised and they are both in their 70's so that is definitely a factor in the decision.

If your kid gets sick with any symptoms (very common in the winter) they will have to stay away for 14 days so the chances of lost time are high.

Fees have went up significantly this year for Kelowna minor due to a maximum of 20 players allowed on the ice and ice times are going to be shorter as they need to allow a 1/2 hour between users and only one team can be in the arena at a time. To me, this is not worth nearly $2000 of fees for my 3 kids.

They have not provided a contingency for if there is an outbreak or a cancellation policy for if the season were to be cancelled at any point.

As much as it pains me to tell my kids they won't be playing hockey this year, I have a hard time justifying putting them in, especially with my in-laws and their health at stake over this.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #493
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
GHC is a horrendous organization.

I can't wait till my daughter is no longer playing in it.
I'm glad my daughter finished just prior to the changes they made two years ago. Up to that point I thought it was generally a very positive experience and pretty well run but some of the stuff they have done recently is head scratching. I know so many girls who left the organization as soon as those changes occurred.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #494
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm glad my daughter finished just prior to the changes they made two years ago. Up to that point I thought it was generally a very positive experience and pretty well run but some of the stuff they have done recently is head scratching. I know so many girls who left the organization as soon as those changes occurred.
Maybe I will PM you the experience we had last season dealing with the board of GHC and their ignoring of association policy and procedure. It was disgusting and revolting

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:14 PM   #495
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
Just wondering,
How many other parents are considering keeping their kids out of minor hockey this year?
I have 3 boys, 2 in initiation (U7), and one who will be in 2nd year U11 and my wife's parents live in our basement. My father in law is immune compromised and they are both in their 70's so that is definitely a factor in the decision.

If your kid gets sick with any symptoms (very common in the winter) they will have to stay away for 14 days so the chances of lost time are high.

Fees have went up significantly this year for Kelowna minor due to a maximum of 20 players allowed on the ice and ice times are going to be shorter as they need to allow a 1/2 hour between users and only one team can be in the arena at a time. To me, this is not worth nearly $2000 of fees for my 3 kids.

They have not provided a contingency for if there is an outbreak or a cancellation policy for if the season were to be cancelled at any point.

As much as it pains me to tell my kids they won't be playing hockey this year, I have a hard time justifying putting them in, especially with my in-laws and their health at stake over this.
I saw on Twitter that at least one Calgary association is working on a refund policy in the event of a season cancellation. But I guess that doesn't help if your kid keeps getting sick and required to self isolate for multiple weeks. (Apparently, a runny nose is enough for that to happen.)

I am curious what the registration numbers are looking like right now. I know the prep camps for many Calgary quadrant clubs (AA/AAA travel) are sold out, so I don't think there will be any decrease in tryout registration there.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #496
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://twitter.com/hockeycalgary/st...444913152?s=21

Updated plan for hockey Calgary.

Mccree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 09:57 AM   #497
goaliemom
Draft Pick

How will HSL handle covid restrictions? I would think it will be against the rules to travel and play teams between AHS zones.
goaliemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:09 PM   #498
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
Just wondering,

Hockey is just not that important, my son has agreed that we will be doing a variety of winter sports this year, and I setting up a backyard rink. If you are in Kelowna, why not spend more days at Big White?

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 08-01-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:55 AM   #499
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It looks like the NWCAA is doing scrimmage-only evaluations, and they start in less than 3 weeks. I wonder how many of the players doing 3-on-3 and 4-on-4 tournaments or Jr. A "id camps" in August realize that they are legally required to wait 2 weeks before participating in another cohort?
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #500
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Hockey is just not that important, my son has agreed that we will be doing a variety of winter sports this year, and I setting up a backyard rink. If you are in Kelowna, why not spend more days at Big White?
Because I just don't like the cold. I love skateboarding but never did like snowboarding.

Who knows what ski hills will look like as well, will Australians be deemed essential workers to run the lifts?

Last edited by Red_Baron; 08-05-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote