Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-08-2018, 07:32 AM   #341
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

DC is starting an else world's line focusing on stories out of continuity. This has potential to be pretty good, some of the stories really have my attention. There is one where the Joker is murdered and Batman and Constantine team up to find out who did it.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-unveil...R-TW&view=list
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 09:26 AM   #342
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone has been looking for some Marvel stuff to read, or has been on the fence over trying out some of its releases, there's a sale on today only where a ton of collections are $1 USD each, marked down from $8, $10, and even $20 normally.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 11:32 PM   #343
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I learned something new today that I'm sure Nadal Fan will enjoy (and probably knew). I discovered/learned about the artist José Luis García-López. García-López has worked at DC comics from the 70s till today. While he's done numerous comics, he's most well known for developing something most comic fans didn't get to see.

In 1982 he was responsible for developing the style guide for all the major DC characters. This guide was given to licensees as a reference when they were developing their products. Super Friends used his art as the basis for the animation. The Super Powers action figures line. Lunch boxes. Underoos. Everything.

While they original designs are iconic, the consistency of their look in the 80s was all García-López.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2018, 05:18 AM   #344
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garcia Lopez is definitely an iconic luminary in the field. I always smile when I see people appreciate his work.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:58 AM   #345
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thats super cool! Thanks for sharing I had no idea but it makes sense. I love the Blue and Grey Batman so iconic!!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #346
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you're interested, Jose posted the entire style guide on his Facebook page. That'd be a hell of collectors item to track down.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/JoseLuis...07954002578217

Edit: And if you have $500 US, you can buy it: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/DC-Comics-St...8AAOxyEHxRIMwV
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #347
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scott Snyder will be taking over Justice League in June. Hes also changing the line-up of the league and it will be the same as the cartoon. Sucks that Hal Jordan isnt there but John Stewart is pretty great as well. My favorite JL line up was the Geoff Johns one with Batman, Superman, Hal Jordan, Flash, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Cyborg.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #348
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone checked out Oblivion song? It's another Kirkman title and it's supposed to be like the next walking dead. They only released one special edition cover and it came with a statue but was like $200 and sold out instantly.

Any other new titles out there you'd recommend?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:58 PM   #349
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Has anyone checked out Oblivion song? It's another Kirkman title and it's supposed to be like the next walking dead. They only released one special edition cover and it came with a statue but was like $200 and sold out instantly.

Any other new titles out there you'd recommend?
I picked up the first issue and really enjoyed it.

I'm liking the non-superhero/sci-fi trend in comics the past few years. Things like Saga, Seven to Eternity, Descender, Paper Girls and RASL have been great.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:48 AM   #350
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a lot of new ongoings have made it onto my pull list of late - new-ish releases (including limited series) that I've enjoyed include Animosity, Curse Words, Heavy Vinyl, and The Old Guard. Superhero wise there have been some quality limited series coming from the X-office at Marvel, like Astonishing X-Men, New Mutants: Dead Souls, and Rogue & Gambit.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #351
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been a bit since there was activity in this thread, and with Infinity War in theaters I thought I'd bump it up.

The Avengers: No Surrender weekly event just concluded, and it was generally well received. It even shipped on time! 16 weekly issues with no delays.

Spinning out of that series and some other recent story developments in the Marvel line is leading to a couple of ongoings about to release that I'm interested in:
  • The Immortal Hulk - this is a new ongoing written by Al Ewing (of Ultimates and Ultimates²), art by Joe Bennett, and covers by the always excellent Alex Ross. Ewing has been pitching this as more of a horror comic take on the Hulk, and the solicit for the debut issue is as follows: "HORROR HAS A NAME. You'd never notice the man. He doesn't like to be noticed. He's quiet. Calm. Never complains. If someone were to walk up and shoot him in the head... all he'd do is die. Until night falls. And someone else gets up again. The man's name is Banner. The horror is THE IMMORTAL HULK." As a Hulk fan I'm always interested in his ongoings, so I'm definitely interested in seeing how this one goes. Issue #1 comes out in June.

• Thor - after a few years on the back burner while (spoiler, I guess? Highlight white text for spoiler) Jane Foster was running around wielding Mjolnir, Odinson is back in the mantle of Thor. The series continues to be written by Jason Aaron, who continues to add to his run which will probably go down right next to Walt Simonson's as one of the best Thor runs of all time. Art and covers for this series will start with Mike Del Mundo at the helm.

Oh yeah, and that Ta-Nehisi Coates guy (maybe you've heard of him) who's been writing Black Panther will be be writing Captain America, with the first issue featuring him as writer dropping on July 4, with artist Leinil Francis Yu and covers by Alex Ross.

The 12 issues of Astonishing X-Men originally planned by writer Charles Soule are coming to an end in June, but the series continues with issue 13 in July and an all new creative team of writer Matthew Rosenberg (4 Kids Walk Into a Bank, Phoenix: Resurrection, New Mutants: Dead Souls) and artist Greg Land. As well as a new team roster consisting, at least initially, of Havok, Beast, Dazzler, Warpath, and Colossus.

Sticking with the X-office, a couple more limited series are upcoming that I'm checking out. Multiple Man is getting a limited series, written by Matthew Rosenberg and artist Andy MacDonald. And Saladin Ahmed (who recently concluded his Eisner nominated Black Bolt series) will be writing a Quicksilver limited series with artist Eric Nguyen.

There was chat earlier in this thread around the end of 2017/early 18 about the viability and cost of monthly comics. Since then, two fairly high profile creator owned series have changed their release schedule. The final issue of volume 3 of Astro City, #52, comes out next month. Future stories from Astro City are now planned to come out as standalone original graphic novels, with the first one expected no earlier than sometime in 2019. (Oh yeah, and an Astro City TV show is in the works). And my favorite series, Lazarus, recently was announced to be changing to a quarterly release schedule, with the first double sized issue in this schedule planned for September release. Lazarus has always struggled with maintaining a consistent monthly schedule long-term, and has had hiatuses after story arcs while trades release. This new schedule is the equivalent of 8 issues every year, so hopefully it works better for the creative team (writer Greg Rucka, artist Michael Lark, colorist Santi Arca, new letterer Simon Boland, designer Eric Trautmann, and editor David Brothers).

What have other people been reading and enjoying?

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 04-29-2018 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #352
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Action Comics#1,000 was really good. A fitting tribute for the OG of superheroes.

I started re-reading Wonder Woman rebirth with the announcement of Cheetah in the sequel. I must say Greg Rucka gets the characters in her world.

Batman has also been spectacular, there was a recent issue where Superman and Lois double date with Batman and Catwoman such a great read.

I have enjoyed every series from DC of late except JL but with Snyder coming on to write I suspect that will change. The roster will be the same as the animated series.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #353
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
The Avengers: No Surrender weekly event just concluded, and it was generally well received. It even shipped on time! 16 weekly issues with no delays.
I was able to chat with Jim Zub for a while at the expo. He wrote the series between March 2017 - December 2017. They basically wrote the whole series before it was announced. Even got him to sign my Avengers 675. Great guy to talk to and had lots of stories, including taking the auction winner out to dinner and Infinity War while he was here.

I picked up his Glitterbomb book to check out. Pretty good so far.
mac_82 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mac_82 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2018, 07:58 PM   #354
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comic book artist Steve Ditko passed away at the age of 90. He was responsible for creating Spider-Man and Dr. Strange. RIP to a legend.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:50 PM   #355
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hard to imagine how different the Marvel Universe, and really pop culture, would be different today without Steve Ditko's contributions. He deserves to be right next to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby when it comes to the foundations of what we know as Marvel today.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #356
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

SDCC is from July 19-22, so it starts on Thursday. October comic solicits will drop the week of July 23. So I expect publishers will have some fairly major announcements and reveals over the next week.

A fairly significant recent development was DCs announcement that G Willow Wilson (co-creator of Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan) will be taking over Wonder Woman with art by Cary Nord beginning in October. She has also teased at another major announcement for her coming today at noon PDT.

Marvel will be announcing more details on its next X-Men book, X-Men Black. This continues the recent "color themed" X-Men titles. No details have been released about the book or its creative team yet, save for this cover art featuring Magneto.

To get in to the spirit of SDCC, Comixology has a fairly large list of significant sales going on. I am definitely picking up some Image releases I have been waiting on.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #357
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
A fairly significant recent development was DCs announcement that G Willow Wilson (co-creator of Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan) will be taking over Wonder Woman with art by Cary Nord beginning in October. She has also teased at another major announcement for her coming today at noon PDT.
Calgary's own Cary Nord. I've always enjoyed his art. His run on Conan was fantastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 10:24 AM   #358
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't realize he was Calgarian, thanks for the info!
Old 07-18-2018, 08:46 AM   #359
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the G. Willow Wilson news was a new creator owned series called Invisible Kingdom with art by Christian Ward. This series will be published under the Berger Books label by Dark Horse Comics. Karen Berger is the award winning editor who was the guiding hand for the DC Vertigo line for years and years.

And Marvel announced that a new line of digital first comics will be coming out, starting with a new Jessica Jones series that had a surprise release this morning. These series are not a complete bing release like the Comixology Original releases have been. Rather, they're an "accelerated" release. 3 double sized issues come out in three months. A print trade will be released shortly thereafter (planned for October in the JJ case, as the third issue will be out in September). Then there will be a hiatus until the next three issue arc comes out. It's a new release schedule and strategy that is bypassing the direct market, month to month print comic model.

More Marvel digital first titles are going to be announced this Saturday at SDCC.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #360
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone else pick up the new DC Black label Batman: Damned? This is the new offshoot line from DC for more mature readers. Art was fantastic and story was really good as well! The Joker is killed and Batman wakes up not remember what happened the night before. However, that's not why people are talking about this book today, as for the first time you can see some Batman penis hahaha