Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #41
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I just read V for Vendetta. Started last night at work, finished tonight at work. Perfect timing too.

I really enjoyed it. So much more intricate than the film. That and the ending is much more open ended and the characters and set up aren't quite so black and white as in the film. I had gotten about 2/3 done before and never finished so I went back and started over. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now I think I'll go home and watch the film, which I also really enjoyed. And admire Natalie Portman looking all hot with her shaved head.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #42
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I just read V for Vendetta. Started last night at work, finished tonight at work. Perfect timing too.

I really enjoyed it. So much more intricate than the film. That and the ending is much more open ended and the characters and set up aren't quite so black and white as in the film. I had gotten about 2/3 done before and never finished so I went back and started over. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Now I think I'll go home and watch the film, which I also really enjoyed. And admire Natalie Portman looking all hot with her shaved head.
Don't. The movie is atrocious compared to the graphic novel. Enjoy them as two separate things.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #43
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got "Luthor" for christ mas. Luthor is the next GN by Brian Azzarello (Author), Lee Bermejo (Illustrator); the first one was "Joker".

I'll let you know how it turns out.

To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:26 AM   #44
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Whoa, that's looks slick!
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:48 AM   #45
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My order from Amazon came in yesterday!

Now I got to read:
- Batman: The Long Halloween
- Batman: The Haunted Knight
- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- The Killing Joke
- Fables Vol. 1

And I also found Batman: Dark Victory at chapters (apparently it is pretty hard to find).
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2010, 03:31 AM   #46
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
I just got "Luthor" for christ mas. Luthor is the next GN by Brian Azzarello (Author), Lee Bermejo (Illustrator); the first one was "Joker".

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hmm, I liked Lex Luthor: Man of Steel a lot, it was a short series.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lex_Luthor:_Man_of_Steel
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #47
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I just bought Logan by Brian k Vaughn and Risso, Witchblade vol 1, Old Man Logan and Spiderman Reign.

For some reason I bought Witchblade vol 2 a couple of years ago and I've been meaning to get vol 1 ever since but it seems so hard to find. Pretty much anything drawn by Michael turner I'll buy.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #48
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
My order from Amazon came in yesterday!

Now I got to read:
- Batman: The Long Halloween
- Batman: The Haunted Knight
- Batman: Arkham Asylum
- The Killing Joke
- Fables Vol. 1

And I also found Batman: Dark Victory at chapters (apparently it is pretty hard to find).
Thats a good haul. Not a bad book in the bunch. Enjoy.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #49
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

the dark knight returns is one of my favs
Old 12-24-2010, 05:48 PM   #50
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Get an ipad or android tablet and one of the many comic book reader applications for them and fill the thing with gigabytes of comics. You'll never go back to paper comics.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #51
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Spiderman Reign was ok. It was too short I thought. The story was so brief. TDKR was fleshed out so much more and had so much depth and backstory. Reign happened so quick it was hard to really buy into all that was happening because I hardly got any idea of what it was like and then boom Peter's back in his spidey costume at age 60.

I don't regret buying it but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

I had bought Witchblade Origins vol 1 but had to return it because the glue in the binding was defective and the pages were falling out.

I got Wolverine: Get Mystique instead and liked it. Just a neat 3 or 4 issue story on Wolvy and Mystique's history. I didn't know the backstory about the Messiah Complex betrayal of the X-Men by Mystique but it didn't really matter. All you need to know is that Wolverine is pissed and Mystique is a bitch.

I also got Earth X and am on the 3rd issue. It is fantastic so far. I'm sure there are tons of references that I'm not picking up on but the story is great and I have passable knowledge of most of the major players.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #52
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

At the risk of continually bumping a thread no one cares about but me...

I got some cash for my b-day so I went out and bought some more stuff. Hadn't been to Phoenix Comics in a while so I took a trip to the store on 16th ave NW.

They had some crazy good deals.

I got all 12 issues of Wolverine: Enemy of the State in the Ultimate Collection for $15 and the Marvel Masterworks hardcover of Daredevil: The Man Without Fear for $8. EIGHT DOLLARS! That is the price of 2 of the issues at regular cover price and it was published in 1993!

For Enemy of the State and DD I paid $23 for what would have cost about $50-60 normally.

They had tons of TPBs for insane prices. Like $10-15 for great stuff. All three volumes of Frank Miller DD visionaries for $13 each.

Definitely going to be heading back. Although the selection of TPBs on sale wasn't huge there were enough to satisfy my tastes.

I also picked up DD: Parts of a Whole - the storyline right after Kevin Smith's Guardian Devil.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #53
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I still care about the thread.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 3 Justin 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 AM   #54
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

read anything/everything by the team of Loeb/Sale.

Wolverine/Gambit

Daredevil Yellow

Superman for All Seasons

All-Star Batman by Miller

Batman Haunted Night

Ronin by Miller

Batman Under the Hood Vol. 1 and Vol. 2

Batman Hush

Batman: A Death in the Family (Jason Todd's death)

Definitely a lot of really god stuff to read. I started in on Comics/Graphic novels probably 3 years ago. Just make sure you stick to the stuff you really like, otherwise the habit can get a bit out of control. I'd recommend sticking to trades as well. After I filled up two long-boxes of singles, I realized that they're a real !@#$% to store and just access.

Although if you wanted to read a really good ongoing, check out The Amazing Spiderman "Big Time", currently 3 issues in (starting at Amazing Spiderman #648). It's really really good.

Yeah, Phoenix throws on some good deals. The guy who runs it (Mike) is actually on CP, mikephoen. I'd say check out Phoenix Comics on 16th, they can put out some absolutely sick deals on trade paperbacks.

...annnnd /exhale nerd.

Oh, also, IGN did a pretty good look at the 25 greatest Batman Graphic Novels

....and Batman & Robin Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 are both freaking fantastic, but follow the story of Dick Grayson and Damien Wayne as Batman/Robin. Which, if you want to read to how they got to that point and what's going on right now with Gotham stories, can be a bit hard to follow due to the way that it's stretched out over countless years and books.

Last edited by ComixZone; 01-09-2011 at 01:05 AM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #55
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like a lot of Frank Miller. The Dark Knight Returns and the first two Sin City albums (The Hard Goodbye and A Dame To Kill For) are brilliant (after that the quality varies incredibly). One of my absolute favourite comics is Millers "Give Me Liberty" -series, starring Martha Washington.

Sandman
is also amazingly good at times, and certainly improves when you read the whole series, even though it starts kind of lame and the end isn't that great either. It's one of the few comic-serieses that I really consider a must-read. Somewhat mindbending stuff.

I've liked Fables quite a bit too, although it's more just great entertainment than thought-provoking (which is important for me).

I did like Maus too. I also love Ralf Königs comics, although of course it's about gays and written by a gay, and has a lot of sex and jokes about sex and sexuality, so if that bothers you best stay away. But it's hysterically funny at best. I especially like the Konrad & Paul stuff.

Watchmen the comic is very different from the movie. It's better in many ways, but it's a heavy read and quite tediously slow-paced at times.

But this is mostly old stuff of course.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #56
FlamingLonghorn
First Line Centre

Exp:

You are going to get people that recommend anything by Warren Ellis. While I agree he is an amazing writer, make sure you only start series he has already finished. He seems to have 1000 projects going on at a time and takes forever to finish stuff. However, I definitely would recommend his work. Transmetropolitan is probably his most famous work.
FlamingLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #57
LGA
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I liked Wanted, the movie and the graphic novel are very, very different. The graphic novel is about a world where the villains all teamed together to take out all the superheroes, it makes references to a few heroes that have been taken out. It's violent, crude and awesome.

Also, Scott Pilgrim is awesome if you played video games basically at any point in your life. It's goofy and fun.
LGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #58
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No one else throws any love for Bone?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #59
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
No one else throws any love for Bone?
It's one of my favourite. I've bought the single issues, the 'bible/phonebook' addition and the new coloured ones. I hear they're releasing a new 'bible/phonebook' in colour this year. I may be suckered again.

It really is a great series for people of any age.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #60
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGA View Post
I liked Wanted, the movie and the graphic novel are very, very different. The graphic novel is about a world where the villains all teamed together to take out all the superheroes, it makes references to a few heroes that have been taken out. It's violent, crude and awesome.

Also, Scott Pilgrim is awesome if you played video games basically at any point in your life. It's goofy and fun.

That seems to be a pretty popular storyline. Kingdom Come had something similar and Old Man Logan used that exact premise.

Actually aren't Wanted and Old Man Logan both by Mark Millar?

I checked and yes, yes they are.