Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 12:01 AM   #41
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar View Post
Radiohead? Sigur Ros? EITS, cerebral? Wow, should be a good year.

Also I'll throw two more names into the TBA pile: Matthew Good, Hawksley Workman
I'm one of the biggest Matt Good fans in the universe but I really don't have high hopes for his next album. I loved Avalanche to death but his last actual album was a little weak (although some of the songs have grown on me over time) and I'm not a fan of a lot of the really simple acoustic stuff he has been playing of late.

The new Explosions in the Sky is pretty solid though, I'm stoked that I get to see them live this summer. There are just so many albums to get excited for this year, every time I try and list them all I forget about 20 of them (I keep forgetting Interpol and Wilco both have albums coming out this year at some point). Given the number of quality albums that have already been released, I have extremely high hopes for music this year.
Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:09 AM   #42
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
The new Of Montreal is absolutely amazing
Is it? I thought The Sunlandic Twins was incredible, I haven't heard the new one yet.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 AM   #43
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Is it? I thought The Sunlandic Twins was incredible, I haven't heard the new one yet.
I really liked The Sundlandic Twins but I can't stop listening to Hissing Fauna. Here's an idea what the new album sounds like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VeIL7juFE0
Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 AM   #44
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I really liked The Sundlandic Twins but I can't stop listening to Hissing Fauna. Here's an idea what the new album sounds like:

That is the weirdest music video in history, but I can see how the album might be catchy.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #45
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That is the weirdest music video in history, but I can see how the album might be catchy.
They definitely haven't gotten any less strange over the years.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #46
Frank the Tank
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone have The Good, The Bad & The Queen? I've been debating whether to take a chance and buy it. Seems pretty interesting.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken."
Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #47
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Let's pretend we don't exist
Let's pretend we're in Antarctica

Did you hear the Outback Steakhouse jingle, using this song?

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mvm6KfJDE0

http://pitchforkmedia.com/article/ne..._Exclusive_MP3

But forget art for a minute-- let's talk the Outback Steakhouse jingle, which takes the Of Montreal track "Wraith Pinned to the Mist (And Other Games)" and substitutes lyrics about, yes, Outback Steakhouse.

Barnes estimates the good to "SELLOUT!!" feedback at about "80-20." "Most people realize that indie bands don't make any money, so when something like that happens, it's not like all of a sudden the band is a sellout...that's the thing that seemed kind of funny...it doesn't matter what the band did all the way up to that point-- you sell one song to a commercial and all of a sudden you're a sellout.

Last edited by troutman; 02-05-2007 at 09:30 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #48
rockstar
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm one of the biggest Matt Good fans in the universe but I really don't have high hopes for his next album. I loved Avalanche to death but his last actual album was a little weak (although some of the songs have grown on me over time) and I'm not a fan of a lot of the really simple acoustic stuff he has been playing of late.

The new Explosions in the Sky is pretty solid though, I'm stoked that I get to see them live this summer. There are just so many albums to get excited for this year, every time I try and list them all I forget about 20 of them (I keep forgetting Interpol and Wilco both have albums coming out this year at some point). Given the number of quality albums that have already been released, I have extremely high hopes for music this year.
True but last year was areally tough year for him (had some pretty bad-blooded issues with his now ex-wife). I thought his last new album (White Light Rock and Roll Review) was kinda iffy as well; I'm in the same boat as you in that regard. However, I remember reading as that CD came out that he had been much happier of late with how his life was going, and it showed in the music. IMO, the music faltered a bit.

So now, after a bad year, perhaps he's back to his old opinionated, generally-****ed-off self, and we can see a return to the Matt Good we love.

I know it's kind of mean to say, but his music is definitely better when he's unhappy about something.

rockstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #49
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
New Wilco in May?
This is my most anticipated release of the year. I saw them live this past summer and they were amazing - played some of the (potential) new songs on this album. If those were any indication, they might be going back to their country roots a little.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:41 PM   #50
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Finger 11 on March 6th! Can't wait!
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #51
North East Goon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

That sounds like 80's Synth Pop, forgive this old man but is that all the rage again?
North East Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #52
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Let's pretend we don't exist
Let's pretend we're in Antarctica

Did you hear the Outback Steakhouse jingle, using this song?
I love the video for the original song:

Quote:
Originally Posted by North East Goon View Post
That sounds like 80's Synth Pop, forgive this old man but is that all the rage again?
The short answer is yes.

Last edited by icarus; 02-05-2007 at 06:23 PM.
icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:06 PM   #53
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

http://www.sonybmg.ca/modestmouse/mediaplayer/

Modest Mouse is currently streaming "We were dead before the Ship Even Sank" from now till midnight on March 19. Click here if you want to hear the whole album.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #54
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

New Metallica is coming out this year too.

I wonder if they go back to their old style, or stay with what they made on St. Anger.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #55
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just heard on the radio the other day that the White Stripes just finished up a new album that is due out very soon.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #56
Dodsdomd
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone have any info on a new Weakerthans release?
Dodsdomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:25 PM   #57
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's with Sigur Ros? I'm not too familiar with them, but have heard their name a lot.
About 1/2 ago i dl'd an album of theirs, and it started out with about 10 minutes of what sounded like some Icelandic woman having acid hallucinations in an Igloo, and it didn;t get any better.
I deleted it and decided Sigur Ros sucked.
counterpoint?
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #58
Cerebral
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
What's with Sigur Ros? I'm not too familiar with them, but have heard their name a lot.
About 1/2 ago i dl'd an album of theirs, and it started out with about 10 minutes of what sounded like some Icelandic woman having acid hallucinations in an Igloo, and it didn;t get any better.
I deleted it and decided Sigur Ros sucked.
counterpoint?
Sigur Ros is easily one of the most fantastic groups out there right now. They play a genre of music known as post-rock and the lead vocalist sings in a made up language known as Hopelandic (loosely based off of Icelandic). In terms of their albums, I would rank them like this:

1. Agaetis Byrjun
2. ()
3.) Takk

Sigur Ros definitely isn't for everyone but they make really beautiful music and they're absolutely fantastic live. Just watch this video and try and tell me they're not amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0AZIFmkogY
Old 03-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #59
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
http://www.sonybmg.ca/modestmouse/mediaplayer/

Modest Mouse is currently streaming "We were dead before the Ship Even Sank" from now till midnight on March 19. Click here if you want to hear the whole album.
I've never really given Modest Mouse a chance, so I am listening to that stream right now. It's not really my style, but the fifth song "parting of the sensory" is an excellent track. I might give it another listen down the road. Good lyrics through out though.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:55 PM   #60
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sigur Ros definitely isn't for everyone but they make really beautiful music and they're absolutely fantastic live. Just watch this video and try and tell me they're not amazing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0AZIFmkogY
neat video, but yeah, not my cup of tea, music wise. Sounds just like I remember it. But like, you say, not for everyone.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote