Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for in the federal election?
Conservatives 196 54.29%
Liberals 74 20.50%
NDP 32 8.86%
Green 13 3.60%
PPC 3 0.83%
Bloc Quebecois 1 0.28%
Rhino 11 3.05%
Other 9 2.49%
Not voting 22 6.09%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #41
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wish the conservatives took a harder stance on climate change and social issues, but I do not want another 4 years of Trudeau abusing his position. The scandels are one thing but the smarmy way he's handled them really speak to his character, and the fact that he'll get away with the SNC thing is disgusting. Plus that ridiculous gun ban proposal.

The NDP took way too hard of a stance on several things that go against what I believe as well. I'm not completely against them as a party but they've never had a good leader in my lifetime.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #42
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I voted for, as I have every election in my life, the party who I feel will best serve my families needs over the next four years. Unfortunately on the Federal level that hasn't changed and probably won't change any time soon.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #43
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=Slava;7245291, I knew I didn't want to vote for a misogynist

I definitely would have voted for Kent Hehr. [/QUOTE]

Some might think these positions are hard to reconcile...

I voted cpc, but only because I felt like I should keep up my perfect record of voting every time I'm eligible. I seriously considered not voting. I'm pretty tired of all of them.

My biggest win this election is that now that it's over they will all stop calling me.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:18 PM   #44
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm at this point wondering, if I don't vote, if I can maintain my strong streak of not voting for the CPC, since I'm in Confederation and there's no chance of anyone else winning.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #45
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I want Trudeau gone too but if Jason Kenney gets anywhere near the leadership of the federal party, you can bet the Liberals will govern us for a while. If people believe Scheer is an ultra right wing, religious homophobe then what possible good can giving the reigns to Kenney do? Would be catastrophic for the party.
Absolutely. The idea of Kenny running the country is a scary one. That would not be a vote from me, although hopefully Trudeau and Singh would be gone at that point
Old 10-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #46
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I voted for CPC last weekend. This whole election cycle has been nasty. I can't wait for it to be over with. There are people in my friend circle who would drop me as a friend because of how I voted. The same would be true if I had voted for NDP or the Libs. There's no room for nuance anymore with a lot of people, therefore it devolves into this mudslinging nastiness.

So, regardless of who you voted for CP, thanks for voting. It's so important, and we're privileged to be able to do so.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 01:27 PM   #47
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Absolutely. The idea of Kenny running the country is a scary one. That would not be a vote from me, although hopefully Trudeau and Singh would be gone at that point
I remember a time when Rob Anders was the pariah of the Conservative party because of his misguided comments. He was also good friends with Jason Kenney, and both were known as firebrands, and part of the "Snack Pack" of conservative politicians back in the day that included Ezra Levant. Now the latter has been legitimized at the highest levels of Alberta government, while the former left politics but went to the States to support the Trump campaign.

Kenney at the helm of a federal party scares the piss out of me.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #48
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I couldn't under good conscience vote for either Liberals or Conservatives due to their leaders' failures. I gave the opportunity for both candidates in my riding to separate themselves from their leaders but neither bothered to so I can't vote those two candidates.

The NDP candidate I'm not sure even bothered to put up signs, so even if NDP's policy didn't scare me off, I don't know why I would vote for this candidate or even who it is.

I was close to voting Rhino as a protest vote but I hate the 'edgy' people who make up and vote for parties like this, so I decided against it.

Even a couple months ago I would have called you certifiably insane if you told my vote was coming down to "green party" vs "no vote" but here I am, and I've determined "no vote" it is. Take that candidates! (Although my riding will be 80% conservative anyways).
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #49
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conservatives need some new blood, no retreads from the Harper years. They need a real bonafide Progressive Conservative from outside the prairies. Scheer seems like a relatively nice man, but he's a hamfisted ideologue who threw this election. Jason Kenney is toxic outside of Alberta, to elevate him will guarantee another loss.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #50
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM ONE View Post
I'm voting conservative. Goodale's OK but he's heavily on Team Trudeau and I just can't vote for that guy.
100% with this one. I voted happily for Kram. Water box and his hypocrisy can take a hike. Our economy doesn't need another 4 years of destruction and turmoil. Praying for a good result tonight.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #51
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

As the proud owner of a 1958 vintage SKS "assult rifle", the Liberals have basically turned me into a one issue voter. So much for evidence-based decision making.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 01:42 PM   #52
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

first time im my life i am not voting since i've been eligible to

they all suck. pick the least bad doesnt work when they are all terrible. i'm not going to be responsible for this mess by contributing to it. i cant wait for the next few weeks to go by when people are done gloating/whining about the results and life goes back to exactly how it was before this election
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 01:48 PM   #53
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I hate the thought of voting liberal this time around. I don’t like much of what has been done under this leadership.
I don’t agree with most conservative plans fiscally, and sure as hell am on the opposite end of the social spectrum. And I think AS is untrustworthy, and the ‘time for you to get ahead’ by marginal tax cuts is bogus.
I don’t believe the NDP or Green will lead to the long term prosperity of Canada, and will cause more harm in two years than we would recover from.
If I vote Liberal, it will be very begrudgingly. 35 million people and this is the best leadership group we can muster. I is sad.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #54
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Conservatives need some new blood, no retreads from the Harper years. They need a real bonafide Progressive Conservative from outside the prairies. Scheer seems like a relatively nice man, but he's a hamfisted ideologue who threw this election. Jason Kenney is toxic outside of Alberta, to elevate him will guarantee another loss.
Kenney would be the worst. I didn't vote for him in the provincial election, don't think I could hold my nose and vote for him in the federal election.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #55
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I really wish the conservatives took a harder stance on climate change and social issues, but I do not want another 4 years of Trudeau abusing his position. The scandels are one thing but the smarmy way he's handled them really speak to his character, and the fact that he'll get away with the SNC thing is disgusting. Plus that ridiculous gun ban proposal.

The NDP took way too hard of a stance on several things that go against what I believe as well. I'm not completely against them as a party but they've never had a good leader in my lifetime.
To me the Conservatives have the only credible plan to tackle climate change because they're the only party that will speak the truth that this is a global problem. Getting natural gas to Asia should be priority number one for any party that's actually serious about this problem. Sure it'll raise BC's emissions, which is why the "green" parties are against it, but it lowers China's emissions by way more. At the end of the day it doesn't matter where the carbon is coming from. Same goes for Oil, according to CAPP if the rest of the world adopted Canada's O&G extraction policies the carbon intensity from fossil fuel production would drop 23% world-wide. You combine that fact with the reality that oil and gas will be in demand for decades to come and the only logical conclusion is that more Canadian O&G on the global market is a good thing for carbon emissions. The conservatives didn't push this aggressively enough though, and throughout the campaign they lost the framing argument that if you're a Canadian and Climate change is your number one issue you can't vote conservative. It really is a shame though because carbon taxation and shutting down industries here won't help the planet on a net basis, getting India and China off coal and protecting market share away from the world's biggest polluters does.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #56
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Not entirely surprised to see an overwhelming Conservative majority here. I like the Conservative running in my riding, but I also like the Liberal candidate. In speaking with both of them, I found them both pleasant people and the incumbent has been a decent representative, I think. It was a tough choice, because none of the federal leaders really appeal to me this time around like some of the Democratic candidates in the States do.

End of the day, I voted Liberal. It was my first time voting and I'm glad that I got out and did it. I don't expect my candidate to win, but I'm glad to have participated in the process. Everyone should.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #57
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Green since it doesn't really matter who in my riding since it's full of grumpy old white guys and Trudeau is a super dud. She also had the biggest sign and the best name. Natalie Odd!

I didn't even know who the Lib candidate in my riding was until i got to the booth. He didn't even try!
Old 10-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #58
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2014/06...liberal-again/

Quote:
TORONTO – Despite considering himself a strong supporter of the New Democratic Party, local voter Jason Poulos plans to cast his ballot for the Liberals in the upcoming election, as he has in every other federal and provincial election of his life.

“In order for a democracy to function properly, people need to vote with their conscience in every single election,” Poulos said. “That said, it’s really important that the Conservatives don’t win this time.”
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #59
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I didn't even know who the Lib candidate in my riding was until i got to the booth. He didn't even try!
It was a she. And she was an NDP MLA candidate last election.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #60
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I know it's satire but I think that's a huge problem with the system here. Not enough people vote for what and who they actually believe in, they just vote against who they dislike the most.

That's how you get Jason Kenny