Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #421
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
There is also a big difference between (a) an optimal place to live with your family when you retire and (b) place you want to live as a young millionaire to enjoy the "culture".
Calgary is very good for (a). For (b) we are far behind NY, LV, CH, MI, MO, etc.
What the heck are these?

Michigan?
Montana?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 06:35 PM   #422
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
What the heck are these?

Michigan?
Montana?
Miami?
I have no idea what MO is
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #423
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Missouri? But who wants to live in Missourah anyway?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #424
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unpopular Opinion:

TJ Brodie is an awesome hockey player and an integral part of Gio's development to become the best d-man in the league. Flames fans are unappreciative and disrespectful to #7 Trading him would have made your d-corps suffer tremendously, and when and if he does leave the Flames, you'll notice it for a very long time.

Oh Wait.. Is this opinion popular again??

BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 07:30 PM   #425
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
What the heck are these?

Michigan?
Montana?
Miami
Mintreal

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:42 PM   #426
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I really believe that people when they judge his play,are basing it as if he was making 7 or 8 million a year. Basically they have the expectation of an elite # 1 defenceman when in reality he is a good number two. So they believe him to be bad because he isn’t meeting their expectations.(hopefully I am making my point)
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:52 PM   #427
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Miami
Mintreal
Thanks.

Very unusual abbreviating cities to two letters (aside from NY and LA. Most people refer to Las Vegas as Vegas, not LV)
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:27 PM   #428
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Miami
Mintreal
For the record, I thought since the discussion is on NHL cities MI and MO, while a nonstandard abbreviation, was fairly obvious.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:55 PM   #429
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you like my spelling of Montreal? We'll call that my tribute to Edmonton.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 10:40 PM   #430
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the anthem before professional sporting events. It builds anticipation and creates a sense of spectacle.

Before high school games? Don’t need it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 07:36 AM   #431
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is probably unpopular but dating back to Gulutzan's first season I have found the entertainment value of watching this team poor. Say what you want about the Hartley years but that team worked hard every night and there's something redeeming about watching a team that's busting their humps even if the results aren't there. Under Gulutzan it felt like watching a neutered product where the team lacked emotion and belief that if they played hard they could win. Last season was entertaining because they won a lot of games and winning masks issues. For a good portion of last season they were not the hard luck Flames of the Gulutzan era where the effort was just good enough to provide the illusion that the results would come and a lot of their losses were just bad luck. The effort level was higher and it led to the bounces going their way. Now they have reverted to playing that style where the effort is just enough to make it look like they could have won some of these games they are losing but not good enough to actually win. I hope that Peters can get them out of this rut but we have seen this before under another coach and it's not pretty to watch this team go through the motions.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-24-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #432
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but Johnnys cross ice pass through all of the defenders skates, sticks, legs, bodies … when they are on the PP,,,,sucks
Old 10-24-2019, 07:50 AM   #433
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
This is probably unpopular but dating back to Gulutzan's first season I have found the entertainment value of watching this team poor. Say what you want about the Hartley years but that team worked hard every night and there's something redeeming about watching a team that's busting their humps even if the results aren't there. Under Gulutzan it felt like watching a neutered product where the team lacked emotion and belief that if they played hard they could win. Last season was entertaining because they won a lot of games and winning masks issues. For a good portion of last season they were not the hard luck Flames of the Gulutzan era where the effort was just good enough to provide the illusion that the results would come and a lot of their losses were just bad luck. The effort level was higher and it led to the bounces going their way. Now they have reverted to playing that style where the effort is just enough to make it look like they could have won some of these games they are losing but not good enough to actually win. I hope that Peters can get them out of this rut but we have seen this before under another coach and it's not pretty to watch this team go through the motions.

I too have noticed this watching the team this season. The games are very hard to watch because it just doesn't seem like the players care. I think a major issue is not making a major move in the offseason to inject something. I think a big move needs to happen in the very near future to give these guys some signs of life.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #434
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have to many soft players.

They are once again near of at the bottom of hits as a team and more importantly they have 6 players that are in the default lineup that

Gaudreau 11 games 0 hits
Jankowski 11 games 1 hit
Czarnik 7 games 1 hit
Ryan 11 games 2 hits
Brodie 11 games 2 hits
Hamonic 11 games 4 hits

62 games 10 hits.

Monahan has moved out of this group of softies, thank goodness, but that is just too many guys that are not ready to play playoff hockey.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:01 AM   #435
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamonic is soft???
Old 10-24-2019, 08:03 AM   #436
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I too have noticed this watching the team this season. The games are very hard to watch because it just doesn't seem like the players care. I think a major issue is not making a major move in the offseason to inject something. I think a big move needs to happen in the very near future to give these guys some signs of life.
I think it's still way too early to make panic moves as they are at the same record as this time last year. However you can't expect that the switch will flip automatically like last season as there's so many moving parts to a team that it will take more than one or two players to get on board. I think it's pretty difficult to make major moves during the season but if they are still playing like this in January we can probably expect a major shakeup in the summer as I would expect one of Monahan or Gaudreau will be surely gone.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #437
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Hamonic is soft???
Since he took a beating (and was injured) standing up on last year's soft team. His hits last year were half of the year before

He is in his UFA year and he would like another 3-5 M x5 year contract. He gets banged up again and he is looking at a lot less.

Stone was injured and is a 700k x 1 yr UFA.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #438
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The flames are going to get better as the season goes on and they are going to make noise in the playoffs. They will make it to the conference finals but lose in 6 games.
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:32 AM   #439
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

I don't disagree, but I think this may be by design. An experienced and talented team needs to ramp up intensity as the season progresses. Of course, this is a dangerous game to play as you may never be able to find the next gear if you come out too flat footed, and all of a sudden you are 5-5-1.

I see signs of improvement in consistency as they settle in so I am not panicked. In a perfect world, you try to get rolling from game 62-82 instead of 1-20. If they can do that, I have no worries for R1.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #440
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
This may be an unpopular opinion, but Johnnys cross ice pass through all of the defenders skates, sticks, legs, bodies … when they are on the PP,,,,sucks
Other than his sweet pass to Lindholm for a PP goal against WSH...

But you're right I hate when JG spins and gives it up at the blue line, sometimes resulting in a 2 on 1 or other bad things.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote