Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2019, 11:32 AM   #401
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its a theory, but Star Wars doesn't do Lore stuff without a reason.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #402
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like a lot of these theories are too nerdy and just don't fit in with the current trilogy. We spent months speculating leading into TLJ and not only did the theories not play out, the movie was written as if none of it mattered.

I think we're going to get a really simple plot here. No clones. No midichlorians. No deep lore items.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #403
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

This could still be good. Johnson's biggest issue IMO was that he wiped out everything and devouted his story to new characters that no one really cared about.

However, at the end of the ESB, things were also pretty wiped out and bleak. The major difference being that there was still a substantial rebel fleet at the end of the ESB. If enough time has passed between TLJ and RoS, I could see it making sense. The Resistance looks like it has a pretty massive fleet in the trailers.

Also, is Rey on Dagobah in the early parts of the trailer? Most people are saying it's Endor and that's Leia's old helmet from RotJ. Endor might make sense, as she's also seen scrapping inside what could be Death Star ruins.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #404
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This could still be good. Johnson's biggest issue IMO was that he wiped out everything and devouted his story to new characters that no one really cared about.

The biggest thing for me is the jarring storyline difference between the first two movies, I don't know if Disney agreed with the changes, but the new charactes weren't great, and the characters from TFA were completely different people. Rian made a pretty movie, but the writing was terrible.

Quote:
However, at the end of the ESB, things were also pretty wiped out and bleak. The major difference being that there was still a substantial rebel fleet at the end of the ESB. If enough time has passed between TLJ and RoS, I could see it making sense. The Resistance looks like it has a pretty massive fleet in the trailers.

I mean this could be a problem for me. The Republic Fleet was gone, and the Resistance fleet was gone at the end the TLJ and no help was coming. I did state that I figured that the First Order was devastated at the end of the movie as well. A massive fleet battle might not make sense unless they address how both sides got these massive fleets. Even in ROTJ the Rebels didn't have a huge fleet compared to the Imperial Navy, but it was part of the plot that the small guy kicks the bully in the junk.

Quote:
Also, is Rey on Dagobah in the early parts of the trailer? Most people are saying it's Endor and that's Leia's old helmet from RotJ. Endor might make sense, as she's also seen scrapping inside what could be Death Star ruins.

I have a gut that this is a new planet. On a side note on theforce.net there was a great article on the Ewok Holocaust where they calculated how the destruction of the Death Star lead to the end of the Ewoks.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #405
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The biggest thing for me is the jarring storyline difference between the first two movies, I don't know if Disney agreed with the changes, but the new charactes weren't great, and the characters from TFA were completely different people. Rian made a pretty movie, but the writing was terrible.

You're preaching to the choir.

Johnson's take on Star Wars generally seemed to be wouldn't it be great if Star Wars was this totally different thing....subversion.

It was very jarring to occur in the middle of a trilogy of films.

Quote:

I mean this could be a problem for me. The Republic Fleet was gone, and the Resistance fleet was gone at the end the TLJ and no help was coming. I did state that I figured that the First Order was devastated at the end of the movie as well. A massive fleet battle might not make sense unless they address how both sides got these massive fleets. Even in ROTJ the Rebels didn't have a huge fleet compared to the Imperial Navy, but it was part of the plot that the small guy kicks the bully in the junk.
The Emperor is likely involved in giving the First Order their new fleet. I agree that there needs to be an explanation for the Resistance getting their massive fleet. Maybe the world's all unite when they see what the First Order is doing?

The way that Johnson laid waste to both sides at the end of the TLJ was, I agree, a huge a problem for the plot going forward.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:14 PM   #406
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://planetnestor.com/2019/10/new...walker-poster/

I can't figure out how to just show the poster, but there is a female, dual wielding pistols, the armor doesn't look Mandalorian, but it would be cool if it ended up being Sabine from Rebels.
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #407
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
https://planetnestor.com/2019/10/new...walker-poster/

I can't figure out how to just show the poster, but there is a female, dual wielding pistols, the armor doesn't look Mandalorian, but it would be cool if it ended up being Sabine from Rebels.

That's Kerri Russells character. However I still stand by the ship on the right to the Falcon in the Resistance fleet scene looks an awful lot like the Ghost.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #408
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The Emperor is likely involved in giving the First Order their new fleet. I agree that there needs to be an explanation for the Resistance getting their massive fleet. Maybe the world's all unite when they see what the First Order is doing?

The way that Johnson laid waste to both sides at the end of the TLJ was, I agree, a huge a problem for the plot going forward.

so if I go by current Lore

When the Empire fell, the Empire initiated Operation Cinder, Palpatine felt that a Empire that couldn't protect him, was doomed to failure and deserved to die. The end goal being drawing the Imperial Fleet and the Rebel into a final battle over Jakku, and then blowing up the planet destroying them all.

the ultimate goal would be that the best and the Brightest would be called to the unknown regions to form a new Empire, that would eventually be called the First Order, the meaning of which was the First Order of the new Empire was to do it right.

My theory being

Spoiler!

Old 10-23-2019, 12:33 PM   #409
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That's Kerri Russells character. However I still stand by the ship on the right to the Falcon in the Resistance fleet scene looks an awful lot like the Ghost.
Yeah, saw that pointed out on one of the easter egg breakdowns on the trailer, be pretty cool if it is!
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:39 PM   #410
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bought my tickets for the 20th for me an my two boys. DBOX at the new Seaton theater.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #411
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Stumbled onto a reddit thread from someone with supposed connections that leaks all of the major plot details of the movie. While it could be fake, it was posted a month ago and all of the details he lists fit seamlessly with the latest trailer, so only read if you're comfortable with potentially spoiling the whole movie

Spoiler!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:35 PM   #412
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the full size version of the new poster: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EHcnz5iU...name=4096x4096

Here's the more forum friendly size:
Old 10-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #413
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Stumbled onto a reddit thread from someone with supposed connections that leaks all of the major plot details of the movie. While it could be fake, it was posted a month ago and all of the details he lists fit seamlessly with the latest trailer, so only read if you're comfortable with potentially spoiling the whole movie

Spoiler!

Good news is a lot of people aren’t buying it. The bad news is that if it’s true, that doesn’t sound great.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 04:50 PM   #414
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today, they also announced that Star Tours will be getting an update with new destinations from TROS. According to the announcement, the Death Star remains are on an ocean moon named Kef Bir.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-t...ywalker-update
Old 10-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #415
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post

Spoiler!
Huh. Did not expect Gandolf to save the day.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:13 AM   #416
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why is that even in a thread called no spoilers. People’s reactions to that kind of thing are spoilers.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:38 AM   #417
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this film could be a turning point for the franchise. I consider The Last Jedi not only the worst Star Wars movie of all time but one of the worst big budget movies ever. It's the Fantastic Four of Star Wars films. If this next one can't get rid of the TLJ stink it's probably going to slowly kill off the franchise. Merchandise sales have tanked and given how poorly Solo performed at the box office it shows that people are starting to become jaded. Disney badly needs a redeeming Star Wars film.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-24-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #418
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think this film could be a turning point for the franchise. I consider The Last Jedi not only the worst Star Wars movie of all time but one of the worst big budget movies ever. It's the Fantastic Four of Star Wars films. If this next one can't get rid of the TLJ stink it's probably going to slowly kill off the franchise. Merchandise sales have tanked and given how poorly Solo performed at the box office it shows that people are starting to become jaded. Disney badly needs a redeeming Star Wars film.
I think Solo performed badly mostly due to Star Wars fatigue. At the time of release it was the 4th SW movie in 4 years, and I think the nostalgia boost that helped push TFA to its massive box office haul had worn off by then since the market was now flooded with SW movies. Not to mention it had to compete against Deadpool 2 at the time, which clearly cut into Solo's potential box office take.

TLJ may have been a polarizing film among old-school fans, but it was still a massive hit bringing in over $1 billion worldwide. The Mandalorian series looks pretty badass, and the upcoming Obi Wan series with Ewan McGregor sounds promising as well. Star Wars is gonna be just fine.

If Rise of Skywalker is a big flop, then maybe they might be in trouble. But I doubt it. Regardless of whether or not OG fans will like it, this movie will still make heaps of money.

Last edited by direwolf; 10-24-2019 at 09:11 AM.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:26 AM   #419
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I think Solo performed badly mostly due to Star Wars fatigue. At the time of release it was the 4th SW movie in 4 years, and I think the nostalgia boost that helped push TFA to its massive box office haul had worn off by then since the market was now flooded with SW movies. Not to mention it had to compete against Deadpool 2 at the time, which clearly cut into Solo's potential box office take.

TLJ may have been a polarizing film among old-school fans, but it was still a massive hit bringing in over $1 billion worldwide. The Mandalorian series looks pretty badass, and the upcoming Obi Wan series with Ewan McGregor sounds promising as well. Star Wars is gonna be just fine.

If Rise of Skywalker is a big flop, then maybe they might be in trouble. But I doubt it. Regardless of whether or not OG fans will like it, this movie will still make heaps of money.
I don't think you need to be an old-school Star Wars fan to properly evaluate TLJ. You can argue the old-school fans are the apologists for it as it's straight up a bad film. I believe the (misleading) positive reviews played a lot into it's opening weeks success and it was after people started watching it that the negative reviews from filmgoers started piling up. I still remember my brother going to it the 2nd night it came out telling me it was pure trash and I was like "how could this be as the reviews are all positive?" I assumed it was just him then I saw it for myself.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 10-24-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #420
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still don’t know how Star Wars fatigue of 4 movies in 4 years can be a thing when Marvel fatigue of two dozen movies in 10 years was not.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:

Tags
nerd rage