Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Planet Earth II & BBC Earth

FYI, everyone has BBCEarth on free preview right now. On Telus it's 725. Can't remember what it is on shaw, but I found it on my friend's guide list, and she has only basic cable. It was around 240 or 270 or something.

Planet Earth II starts tonight. Also, they finally did what I've been saying for years... They made a documentary about making a documentary. At least, that's what I'm hoping it is. It's called Planet Earth II: The Making Of. That's on at 6, right before the first episode of Planet Earth II.

This channel is downright awesome. NAture shows, weather shows, disaster shows... There's one show about a Canadian woman with a wildlife rescue place. My daughter LOVES it. I like it too. Finally, a real Science and Earth channel. It's what Discovery was, 20 years ago. Hope it lasts. I will pay for this channel once the free preview ends, as long as it's a science channel and not a reality show channel.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the first week of BBC Earth (Ch 248, on Shaw) and ordered it right away. It's simply amazing.

The 'Making Of' indeed a documentary about a documentary. My wife got me both PE and PEII as the box dvd sets, and they have the makings of's on them, as well. The Making Of's are nearly as fascinating as the show itself. Top notch stuff, to be sure.

I've occasionally said that BBC Earth seems to be what Discovery channel wished it could be, back when it was a Science and Discovery channel.

BBCE does have a couple fishing shows on it (and one is a 'contest-style', but I'm willing to forgive them it so far.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Love Nature is another must channel.

Shaw has Love Nature, BBC Earth and The Smithsonian Channel as a package. Always something on, perfect background channels too but they're too interesting so you get distracted and end up watching.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Love Nature is another must channel.

Shaw has Love Nature, BBC Earth and The Smithsonian Channel as a package. Always something on, perfect background channels too but they're too interesting so you get distracted and end up watching.
Yup. And I've had that bolded part happen to me a dozen times now. "Ok, time to turn the background noise off and get thing....Oooo, this is interesting....*hour later* Aw, crude..."
Old 02-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate to be 'that guy' but instead of enjoying nature in sweet, sweet 1080p you could always...you know...go outside...

I kid, I kid.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I hate to be 'that guy' but instead of enjoying nature in sweet, sweet 1080p you could always...you know...go outside...

I kid, I kid.
You jest, and I get it too. But honestly, some of the places I've seen on the various Planet Earth shows have been added to my bucket list of "to travel to someday" places.
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #7
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm liking the actual science shows on BBC Earth. I PVR'd one last night about Hubble and have multiple other recordings set based on stuff that looked interesting in the guide.

A few other science/nature channels have been on preview recently and I didn't even bother adding them to my guide after looking at all the #### programming. Discovery Velocity was the worst. It was 24/hrs a day of pawn stars and canada's worst drive. #### that.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #8
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I kid, I kid.
I don't have that channel...
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I've watched the first Planet Earth a couple of times. Listening to David Attenborough talk about predator and prey all the while, you know the predator has to eat to survive and the prey is part of the ecosystem... its still oddly soothing. Brutal and elegant, at the same time.

I have PE II and have only watched a few clips including the amazing introduction, the footage they got this time is nothing short of awesome.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:51 PM   #10
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
I've watched the first Planet Earth a couple of times. Listening to David Attenborough talk about predator and prey all the while, you know the predator has to eat to survive and the prey is part of the ecosystem... its still oddly soothing. Brutal and elegant, at the same time.

I have PE II and have only watched a few clips including the amazing introduction, the footage they got this time is nothing short of awesome.
When it comes to narrating, there is only David Attenborough. Oh, and Morgan Freeman. Nobody else.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:57 AM   #11
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

BBCE is one of my favorite channels now. As others mentioned, it is what Discover kind of once was but better. Love Nature is also really good if you're into that sort of thing. Hopefully BBCE can resist the siren call of the lowest common denominator.

Sir David Attenborough is a living legend.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
When it comes to narrating, there is only David Attenborough. Oh, and Morgan Freeman. Nobody else.
Remember the original Planet Earth, when someone decided the Americans would be better off with Sigourney Weaver narrating? I mean, she is great and all, but some doofus thought replacing DA with SW was an upgrade?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:05 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Oh no, you gotta have Liev Schreiber on that list.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #14
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brian Cox does a lot of BBC's science stuff, and I have a huge nerd-on for him.

Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:28 PM   #15
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sloths
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Sloths
One of my favourites.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #17
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Islands, so good. I watched it twice.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote