Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #21
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Really depends what Cable they wanna do. I'd have preferred someone in their mid to late 40s as Cable, but he's looked like the elder statesman super hero before. That's the thing about a guy whose entire shtick was time travel I guess, could really be any age at any time.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #22
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #23
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

So what happens with Wolverine - he was picked out of the water by Mystique, and not Stryker. Would he still get his adamantium body in the current time period? I assume so, just wondering how it would happen.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #24
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
So what happens with Wolverine - he was picked out of the water by Mystique, and not Stryker. Would he still get his adamantium body in the current time period? I assume so, just wondering how it would happen.
Magneto did mention to Wolverine "imagine if they were metal." When he had his bone claws out. Maybe he has something to do with it. He could likely do it less painfully than the original group.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:28 AM   #25
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who knows. He never popped his claws after coming back, so we don't know if he has them or not (though I admit, one of the funnier scenes I saw was Wolvie walking through the metal detector, it not going off, and the look on his face).

Mystique's always been taken with the preservation and proliferation of the mutant species. I can see her experimenting on Wolverine much like Stryker would have. To make "the ultimate defender of the mutant race" of course, though.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:39 AM   #26
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe they decide as a group and Wolverine volunteers to undergo the procedure in order to help take down Apocalypse.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:58 AM   #27
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Saw this on Saturday. These days I try not to get swept up into the marketing campaigns the studios push. I really stayed away from watching trailers/featurettes so I went in without any lofty expectations. Not that it would have made much of a difference because Days of Future Past was awesome! Prepare for a wall of text.

I know a lot of people have an affection with the new cast and the universe established in First Class but to me this movie was about righting a wrong. I remember walking out of the theatre from X-Men 3 so disappointed that I thought the franchise had been ruined forever. When First Class came along I thought it was a pretty good movie that was a nice step in the direction of bringing X-Men back in a good way. Despite the strong performances put on by McAvoy and Fassbender First Class wasn't anywhere close to the movie that X-2 was.

X-2 was for me, not only the pinnacle X-Men movie, but for a long time it stood as the best superhero movie. It was that good and it was produced in a time before superhero movies were popular. I went home after watching Days of Future Past and re-watched X-Men 1 & 2 and I am confident in saying that Singer's latest entry has officially surpassed X-2.

The highlight of the movie for me was seeing the former cast reprise their roles. In my mind Stewart and McKellen will always be the best on screen performances of Professor X and Magneto. They're so damn good and their on screen chemistry is perfect for the characters. McKellen had the line of the film with the whole "All those years wasted fighting each other, Charles." Absolutely perfect.

The future fight scenes were amazing. Blink using her portals to team up with the others. Iceman getting his head ripped off. I had my reservations about Bishop but he ended up being pretty cool. I would have liked to see more and apparently they cut out a side plot with Rogue which I am hoping gets included in a director's cut.

Aside from all of the original cast reprising their roles I was most happy in seeing Cyclops return to the screen even though it was only for a brief moment. They killed Marsden's character off in such an insulting way that it was nice to see him back. Cyclops is a character that X-Men films need. He's the guy that really balances Wolverine and they play off each other so well. It felt as though this was the film that The Last Stand was supposed to be.

I have some nit-picky stuff but it's just that. Still not a fan of their Beast cast and his hulk-like transformation was weird. But I don't care because the film was so well done. I want to go see it again. I am actually hoping that they do X-Men movies in both timelines. Have some films with the original cast set in the (newly established) future and the new cast continuing on. That would be awesome.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 05-26-2014 at 11:18 AM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #28
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I am actually hoping that they do X-Men movies in both timelines. Have some films with the original cast set in the (newly established) future and the new cast continuing on. That would be awesome.
This has been discussed, has it not? I recall an interview some where mentioning it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #29
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know they mentioned it before he went back in the past but I don't get why Wolverine remembers everything when he comes back to the present. What happened to the Wolverine that comes out of the water to the present minus 1 second before he wakes up. So that Wolverine's memories get replaced by the Wolverine coming back from the past. That was the only thing that really bugged me a bit but otherwise I loved the movie. My favorite X-Men movie.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #30
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
I know they mentioned it before he went back in the past but I don't get why Wolverine remembers everything when he comes back to the present. What happened to the Wolverine that comes out of the water to the present minus 1 second before he wakes up. So that Wolverine's memories get replaced by the Wolverine coming back from the past. That was the only thing that really bugged me a bit but otherwise I loved the movie. My favorite X-Men movie.
I think his consciousness became one again. It's kind of the perfect set up now that I think about it. Wolverine in the water loses his memory of everything that happened after future Wolverine overtook his body. Future Wolverine snaps back into his present conciousness where he wakes to a totally new future. All the while past Wolverine has gone along with no knowledge of the dystopian future until he wakes up as the Wolverine who experienced everything.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:40 PM   #31
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
This has been discussed, has it not? I recall an interview some where mentioning it.
right now the only things planned are Apocolypse, new Wolverine movie, X Force

there are other things like Gambit being in a movie (hasn't been confirmed it's Apocolypse)

Nothing is planned with the originals at the moment except Wolverine being in Apocolypse, Jackman said in an interview he wants to do the two movies back to back so he only needs to get in shape once
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #32
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Watched it. Thought it was awesome.

I don't like to specifically rank movies, but I would put this near the top of the best comic book movies of the past 10-15 years.

Random thoughts upcoming....

-Agreed, Quicksilver best bit of the movie. Though abilities like that are damn near unstoppable, I wonder if he'll be back in future installments.

-Don't agree with whoever said Wolverine was just a prop for the movie, I thought he was a great choice for that roll. Having to experience that just adds to an already tormented character. Wish we had some more badassness though.

-Fassbender was great. Some of the best evil stares you'll see.
-Mcavoy as well suits the Xavier character well

-Poor Colossus had a rough go of it not once but twice.

-Even though the character was central to the story, I felt underwhelmed by Raven\Mystique. Not too sure why. Nothing against Jennifer Lawrence, I think shes good. Maybe I just didn't hear anything she said because I was looking at her blue boobs.

-Didn't even realize that was Striker until the end.

-Future action sequences were great. I think Singer might be the only guy who knows how to film an action sequence these days. Whats the point of fight choreography, if you're just going to jumble it up with shaky cam and quick cuts?

-Aside from Marvel\DC I think this is the only other comic book type universe that deserves to stay on its own. They've got a good thing going. Sony and Disney come to some agreement to get Spidey in the Avengers universe, then all will be right.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #33
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
-Agreed, Quicksilver best bit of the movie. Though abilities like that are damn near unstoppable, I wonder if he'll be back in future installments.
Nah, much like Flash, "super speed" is a pretty easy power to work around, if you know about it. It's why they've never really been more than C level heros.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #34
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

-Poor Colossus had a rough go of it not once but twice.

It's a shame that they neutered a couple of X-Men with those fight scenes. I know why they did it, but it is a shame they they are little more than fodder and likely will be again if they appear in Apocalypse. A waste.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-26-2014, 09:07 PM   #35
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Really depends what Cable they wanna do. I'd have preferred someone in their mid to late 40s as Cable, but he's looked like the elder statesman super hero before. That's the thing about a guy whose entire shtick was time travel I guess, could really be any age at any time.
Kevin Nash should be Cable as he looks exactly like him. And +1 to Cable, has the most potential of almost any Marvel character and was one of my favorites way back in the day.

Last edited by AcGold; 05-26-2014 at 09:09 PM.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:15 PM   #36
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So good. I know we're all saying that Stewart and McKellan are passing the torch over, but any chance that we can see them again in another future cameo would be amazing. I'd be disappointed to know that they'll never reprise those roles again.

At any point if the current xmen wish to catch up to present day, I'd think we'd have to go back to Stewart and McKellan.

Seeing everyone die in the future in those battles seemed so sad as well... Iceman, Shadowkat, Magneto... man, they really hooked me in.
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:47 PM   #37
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Nah, much like Flash, "super speed" is a pretty easy power to work around, if you know about it. It's why they've never really been more than C level heros.
The Flash is no 'C' level hero.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2014, 11:55 PM   #38
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
The Flash is no 'C' level hero.
Certainly not A-Level.

THANK MR DEMKO