Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #41
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Realistically The Avengers 2 is pretty far away. 2013 we get Thor 2 and Iron Man 3, then 2014 we get Captain America 2. Who knows if they make a Hulk 2 (I wouldn't doubt it as Ruffalo is signed on for 5 more films). What about Black Widow and Hawkeye? I don't think they can hold a movie for themselves, but it will be interesting to see what Marvel does with them.

2015 would be the absolute earliest we get an Avengers 2 sequel. Kevin Feige says they hope to do an Avengers 2 film, and with the amount of money this one brings in I'm pretty sure they'll find a way to make one. I just hope all the sequel movies are of a decent-to-good quality.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #42
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just make you wonder if we'll ever see a Justice League movie. Warner Bros. and DC comics really have screwed the pooch in recent years. Both the Singer Superman movie and Green Lantern were failures, and they let go of Whedon from taking on the Wonder Woman franchise.

Bale has already stated this is the last time he will play Bruce Wayne/Batman. Then even Henry Cavill has said he doesn't want to do the Justice League movies himself.

So basically they are at square one, and taking on these big budget movies in the future is a huge risk. While Superman and Batman are viable entities, the question still remains on the other characters. In order to pull off what Marvel just did DC really needs to go the same route in which they introduce each character in solo entries before the Justice League movies. So that means they need to start up four-five 150+ million dollar movies basically from scratch to get to that point. Staggering when you think about it.

It's sort of bewildering when you consider how bad off Marvel was in the 90's, when DC was going to buy Marvel Comics. Now if it weren't for The Batman movies DC would probably be in dire straits, and with that franchise ending this year they could run into huge production problems company wide.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #43
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pretty sure that the end of this Batman franchise will launch a new franchise.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #44
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Has a 93% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marvels_the_avengers/
Old 05-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #45
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Pretty sure that the end of this Batman franchise will launch a new franchise.
Of course, but that won't start until between 2016-2020 when Nolan feels enough time has passed from the duration of his trilogy (remember he is still a producer). So based on that timeline, the earliest we would likely see a Justice League movie would be around 2020, which is quite far off I would say. Who even knows if comic book movies will still be a big seller by then?

It's funny how Marvel has made 20+ successful movies in the last decade, whereas DC has only made two (soon to be three), and yes I realize Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and a couple others were moderate successes, but they are different types of movies obviously.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #46
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Yeah, I don't know why everyone keeps hiding spoilers. If you haven't seen the movie yet (and really who hasn't?) then you probably shouldn't check out a discussion thread based on this one movie. In other threads maybe hide spoilers, but in this one I wouldn't bother hiding anything.

As for my take on the movie, I agree with all of the above sentiments. The movie was a fun ride, filled with excitement. My only issue is with the no-name "alien menace" villains, but they were in tough to introduce a bigger name with the time constraints of having to form the group. And yes I realize they were sort of in the comics, but they are not well known to say the least.

Whedon was a great choice as director as he handled all the roles and characters flawlessly. It seemed to me like each of the characters had almost the same amount of screen time, and not one dominated the movie as I had feared with Downey Jr. being the lead. No matter which hero you're a fan of, you should have no quarrels with how they handled your characters. I felt that they were even able to improve upon Captain American and The Hulk from their previous movies.

I can't wait to see where they go from this, it would be a shame if we were forced to wait until 2016 until the second movie, and then 2020 for the third (hoping for a Civil War type movie).

Be sure to pick up the three hour DVD release when it comes out as apparently Whedon was forced to cut many scenes.

Great stuff!
It's funny you mention you feared RDJ would be the lead.

The widespread fear before Avengers was released is that he'd basically only have a cameo part because his filming availability was super low because of other commitments like Sherlock.

Luckily Whedon seems to have found Downey enough screen time but I imagine it helps that a fair amount is VoiceOver when he's in the iron man suit.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #47
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just came back and LOVED it.

I liked that they didn't reveal Banner's control over the Hulk until later. It gave the team a reason to be legitimately afraid of him which helped build the tension for scenes where Banner was involved in arguments.

Everything about this movie was awesome.

And I don't mind the idea of waiting for The Avengers 2. These movies start to suck when you churn them out too quickly. You want a lasting franchise? Don't throw it in the audiences face. I think it would be awesome for a Civil War story to take place, but it would require the coordination of all the heroes subsequent sequels. A daunting task for separate directors and production teams, but with Marvel in charge of their own property I have little doubt they'll be doing it properly.

Last edited by Coach; 05-05-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #48
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ But they don't have control of such key players like Spider-Man, Wolverine (and the X-Men), The Fantastic Four (Reed Richards in particular), and then secondary guys like Punisher and Daredevil. While some of those can be substituted, they would be in tough to make such a movie without Spider-Man and Wolverine in particular (Marvel's two biggest properties).

They were lucky to get the rights back to Hulk, but I don't see Sony or Fox screwing up their rights to the other characters.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #49
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope producers are taking notice at just how great a comic book movie can be when you don't throw in a pointless love story and a bunch of goofy sidekicks.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #50
Jagermeister
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGA View Post
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

I have to give this a 10/10. Was too good.

Last edited by Jagermeister; 05-06-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Jagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:12 AM   #51
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Spoiler!

I have to give this a 10/10. Was too good.
Galactus was already used in FF2.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:14 AM   #52
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spoiler alert!

on the way home from Avengers you will hit a pot hole and eff up your wheel

i thought fury was a real dick, but overall a great movie. i think it would have been better served as a 2 part movie tho. too much story too tell in the 1st bit made it all very clunky to me for the 1st 30 or 40 mins.

to be the movies best characters writing and acting were ironman/stark and banner/hulk. great lines from both. captain america was good but underused.

oh and wow. SJ has such crazy sexy lips. nom.

edit : ok i guess no ones using spoiler tags

Last edited by Notorious Honey Badger; 05-06-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:30 AM   #53
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Wow where to start.

First a couple things about what people have posted. Banner couldn't control it the whole time. He obviously couldn't when he almost killed Black Widow.

Also re: the idea of more characters from other franchises, I believe Daredevil is back at Marvel. I could be wrong but if it has the same terms as Wolvie and Spidey then the company who had it has had their time lapse. An why would anyone want civil war? Didn't it suck big time?

The movie was amazing. There were a few parts that seemed to wonder in the first 45 but it really got going after that.

Nerd question was that Orb from astonishing Xmen that played the space villain? Whedon did write that. Another Ned question and maybe I didn't notice it during Cap but why don't they call it the Cosmic Cube? Never heard it called a tesseract before in the comics.

I almost creamed my pants (only one of several o faces) when we got to see the hellicarrier. Never thought I'd see that on film. One of a bunch of things of that nature in this movie.

A directors cut about 45 mins longer would be great. Show more background and character development. They usually only touched Cap's alienation to the modern world as humor.

From about the hellicarrier onwards it was non stop. There was a sequence just after they did the camera pan around all the avengers back to back, in what seemed like one camera movement we got to go character to character in a fluid motion. It would just seemlessly flow from hero kicking ass to hero kicking ass. I could help but smile. Again, never thought I'd see superheroes especially the avengers in such an amazing adaptation o the feel of a well paced superhero comic book.

Like others the Hulk/banner was great. So many funny moments all around and there were so many goosebumps inducing moments.

Whedon truly brought a comic to screen in a way we've never seen before. Even the way that Sin City was as almost frame for frame adaptation Avengers is a notch above. Making a superhero movie feel that epic without resulting to Fantastic Four style cheese is a real accomplishment.

It wasn't quite as serious as TDk obviously but this is truly the best comic adaptation yet. I haven't left a theatre, at 120am no less, and felt like I could walk back in and watch it all over again in a long time. So much fun.

The after credits scene made me giggle I'm not gonna lie. It was a fanboy giddy squeal. Thanos. Wow. Words can't describe the awesomeness.

Oh and I saw it in a regular 2d theatre. Loved it.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-06-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #54
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Wow where to start.

First a couple things about what people have posted. Banner couldn't control it the whole time. He obviously couldn't when he almost killed Black Widow.

Also re: the idea of more characters from other franchises, I believe Daredevil is back at Marvel. I could be wrong but if it has the same terms as Wolvie and Spidey then the company who had it has had their time lapse.

The movie was amazing. There were a few parts that seemed to wonder in the first 45 but it really got going after that.

Nerd question was that Orb from astonishing Xmen that played the space villain? Whedon did write that.

I almost creamed my pants (only one of several o faces) when we got to see the hellicarrier. Never thought I'd see that on film. One of a bunch of things of that nature in this movie.

A directors cut about 45 mins longer would be great. Show more background and character development. They usually only touched Cap's alienation to the modern world as humor.

From about the hellicarrier onwards it was non stop. There was a sequence just after they did the camera pan around all the avengers back to back, in what seemed like one camera movement we got to go character to character in a fluid motion. It would just seemlessly flow from hero kicking ass to hero kicking ass. I could help but smile. Again, never thought I'd see superheroes especially the avengers in such an amazing adaptation o the feel of a well paced superhero comic book.

Like others the Hulk/banner was great. So many funny moments all around and there were so many goosebumps inducing moments.

Whedon truly brought a comic to screen in a way we've never seen before. Even the way that Sin City was as almost frame for frame adaptation Avengers is a notch above. Making a superhero movie feel that epic without resulting to Fantastic Four style cheese is a real accomplishment.

It wasn't quite as serious as TDk obviously but this is truly the best comic adaptation yet. I haven't left a theatre, at 120am no less, and felt like I could walk back in and watch it all over again in a long time. So much fun.

The after credits scene made me giggle I'm not gonna lie. It was a fanboy giddy squeal. Thanos. Wow. Words can't describe the awesomeness.

Oh and I saw it in a regular 2d theatre. Loved it.
I know what scene you're talking about, I told my friend the same thing. It was insane, no cuts at all just one long take (all CGI obviously, but still). Was amazing.

I wanted to check it out again tomorrow, but I think it will be too busy with all the families so I'll go on Monday.

For me the movie really took off when Thor came and stole Loki. From there on everything was amazing, before that wasn't weak, just not as strong. Thor battling Iron Man had me gushing.

Of all the three films coming up (I assume there'll be a Hulk 2 though) I am looking forward to them in this order:
1. Thor 2 --> Personally Thor is my favorite as the mythology really intrigues me and I really like Hemsworth as Thor
2. Iron Man 3 --> Though I think Downey is perfect as Tony Stark, after Iron Man 2 it's hard to be as excited. Shane Black writing and directing it though gives me hope.
3. Captain America 2 --> Chris Evans does a good job as Captain America, but he is the least appealing of the three to me.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #55
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

How could I forget RDJ calling Thor Point Break and Hawkeye Legolas.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #56
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I missed the Legolas line both times.

Good resource for which studio has what: http://screenrant.com/marvel-comics-...ers-carl-6766/

Basically, 20th Century Fox has Daredevil, Elektra, and the X-Men universe. Sony has Ghost Rider and Spider-Man. Marvel/Disney has everything else.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #57
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kswiss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 09:39 AM   #58
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

They did show the Infinity Gauntlet in Odin's hall of goodies during Thor...

And to answer my own question about Ord of the Breakworld, from Astonishing Xmen, that was indeed him. Wiki claims they were Skrulls but that is clearly BS. Those were not Skrulls.

EDIT: Hmmm. I may be the only one who cares but after checking online I can't seem to find a definitive answer. They seem to be called the Chitauri which are the Ultimate version of the Kree/Skrulls. Regardless the character design was not Skrull. From the opening scene I thought it looked like Ord.

Edit 2: They're from the Ultimates. And I've read the Ultimates. How did I not remember that? Anyway, that guy looks like Ord.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-06-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #59
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kswiss View Post
Downloaded and read through this 6-parter last night. Pretty enjoyable.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #60
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

LA Times is reporting that The Avengers has broken HP 7 part 2's record for all time domestic box office opening weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: