Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #21
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
If you don't tip your server they end of losing money - since the total of your bill is included in their ring out and they have to tip out the bar, bussers, kitchen ect a percentage of that ring out.
depends on the restaurant (although most do this), but i still don't think that should be a reason why you have to tip, if anything it should motivate the server to provide better service to get above the tip out.

Not to mention most servers work half as hard as the dishwasher and make twice as much in a night despite the tip out.

As far as take out, because of the tip out, I'll generally leave something, but it usually ends up with me rounding it out to the nearest convenient dollar figure. I'll gauge service there anyways based on if the food is ready to go when I show up, or if I'm standing around a long time. (although one time they offered me a drink since I had to wait so long)
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #22
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

My general rule of thumb:

10% as a minimum (ie: the order was correct, got drinks somewhat punctually)
About 15% if the service is good.
20% or more if it's outstanding.
0% if the service is atrocious. But usually has to be pretty bad for that.

I've always been of the mindset of 'don't go out to eat if you can't afford an extra 10%'.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #23
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If you don't tip your server they end of losing money - since the total of your bill is included in their ring out and they have to tip out the bar, bussers, kitchen ect a percentage of that ring out.
What percentage of the total ring out do they have to pay to everyone else?
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #24
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-skis.com View Post
depends on the restaurant (although most do this), but i still don't think that should be a reason why you have to tip, if anything it should motivate the server to provide better service to get above the tip out.

TIP: To Insure Prompt Service.

It exists precisely to motivate a server. A server is not entitled to a tip nor is a patron expected to give one.

If the patron wishes to get better service then par, then you tip your server (waiter, bartender, valet, etc). It's really meant for long standing relationships between servers and patrons - if you tip well, you will get a reputation at the venues you frequent and will receive better service as a result.

Sadly, the d-bag restaurant industry decided to capitalize on the social expectation of tipping prevalent in our society and dropped the wages of servers to the point where they literally HAVE to make tips in order to make any money at all.

Don't like tipping and hate that you're expected to anyways? Blame the jackass restaurant "manager" driving the BMW outside.

I tip GST * 3, rounded up to the nearest dollar. I make quite a bit more then minimum wage and I treat my servers like human beings so I almost never receive bad service. When I do, I still tip - because I assume the servers need the money more then I do. I have never been treated rudely by a server, ever. I suspect the people who do get that treatment earned it in some regard, or have ridiculous expectations.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to llama64 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #25
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkidding View Post
Depends on the place and it`s been so long that i am not sure my numbers are correct - but is usally 4.5% +
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma-skis.com View Post
Not to mention most servers work half as hard as the dishwasher and make twice as much in a night despite the tip out.
I somewhat disagree - I don`t think you can compare those two jobs ( i have done both) - most dishwashers are some 16 year old kid still living with mommy and daddy and the odd hipster who has no social skills. A dishwasher may `work` but the stress level of a server can be much greater at times - considering they are slaving for your extra pennies to pay off their student loans.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #27
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Don't like tipping and hate that you're expected to anyways? Blame the jackass restaurant "manager" driving the BMW outside.
^

Go to McDonalds?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #28
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
^

Go to McDonalds?
Or don't tip?
Old 04-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #29
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tend to tip pretty nicely. It's not hard for a server to get 15-20% out of me. I understand that the food quality is not under their control (though the few times I've had an issue, they've gone above and beyond to fix it, really earning a good tip.)

I keep a couple pennies on hand for bad service. I use the '2 glass' method of determining how bad service is. I've only given out a couple, but I have given out pennies as a 'tip'.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #30
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkidding View Post
Quote:
Depends on the place and it`s been so long that i am not sure my numbers are correct - but is usally 4.5% +
I've got a friend who tips 3% if the service is bad, and writes a note to go with it. He explains that the service was terrible and this 3% is because the kitchen and busboy have to be tipped out. Seems fair to me.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #31
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

The server has to tip 3% to the kitchen regardless how much tips they make from a table. So if you receive bad service, you shouldn't even have to gve the 3%.

I serve PT on weekends. I wish people would tip 0% more often if they get bad service. I work with so many lazy servers, and they still make decent tips.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #32
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I somewhat disagree - I don`t think you can compare those two jobs ( i have done both) - most dishwashers are some 16 year old kid still living with mommy and daddy and the odd hipster who has no social skills. A dishwasher may `work` but the stress level of a server can be much greater at times - considering they are slaving for your extra pennies to pay off their student loans.
Having done all of the restaurant jobs, dish pig, cook, waiter, bus boy and bartender. The list of jobs in terms of easiest to worst goes bartender, waiter, cook, bus boy, dish pig. The level of pay is opposite. Although in fancier restaurants cooks will be reasonably paid but really in most reastaurants beyond the head cook the rest are paid like crap relative to the front of the house (note this is based on 10 yars ago)

The other thing to add is that if you arent tipping because of bad service you have an obligtion to talk to the manager to discuss the problem. They will appreciate it. If the service wasnt bad enough to talk to management then at least tip 6% to cover tip out. But even then if you are less than your base line tip you should tell someoe why. Also if you tip more than normal for good service you should tell the manager as well because giving positive feedback is nice in a very negative feedback based industry.

A tip, unless you are a regular customer, is not a method of feedback.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #33
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
The server has to tip 3% to the kitchen regardless how much tips they make from a table. So if you receive bad service, you shouldn't even have to gve the 3%.

I serve PT on weekends. I wish people would tip 0% more often if they get bad service. I work with so many lazy servers, and they still make decent tips.
But...but...we've had it pounded into our heads that these poor people make mere peanuts (I've heard someone tell me they make as low as $3/hr before...) and depend on our tips for the basic stuff we take for granted, like being able to go out... So we must tip, and tip well, regardless of the service...
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:03 AM   #34
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.
Aren't things done differently in Australia? As in server staff for example, are paid more than here? I know you probably live here now, but perhaps that's where this opinion is coming from.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #35
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

$3/hr is probably true in the states. Here, hey get. Minimum wage which I think is $9.05.

There's always the same servers I work with that complain when a table under tips. It stopped being coincidence and is now a trend. They still don't get it.

We finally fired a server last week after dozens of complaints of bad service. Even with providing bad service, she was consistently making $150 a day in cash tips which I don't think she deserved
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #36
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

People should tip if they get takeout. It doesn't have to be compared to how much you'd tip for sit down service, but the kitchen has put just as much work into preparing the meal and the restaurant as a whole. Throw a little money the way of the person who got your takeout ready, it goes a long way, especially if you plan on coming back time to time.

Yes, there are arrogant servers who don't do anything to better your experience and expect a 20% minimum tip. I can see how that would be frustrating to many. There's also a lot of servers who work their asses off and get treated like absolute crap by the clientele. When this discussion comes up, it's so easy to tell the people who have worked in the industry, from the people who have never stepped close to it.

To get tipped 0% or to try and make a statement with leaving a penny, the service in my mind has to be absolutely atrocious and to the point where you're never going back to that establishment again.

15% if the service is as average as can be and so is the food. I'll usually tip 18-20% for most service and then if it's a place I go to a lot or know the people working it's usually around 25%
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #37
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_1987 View Post
People should tip if they get takeout. It doesn't have to be compared to how much you'd tip for sit down service, but the kitchen has put just as much work into preparing the meal and the restaurant as a whole. Throw a little money the way of the person who got your takeout ready, it goes a long way, especially if you plan on coming back time to time.

Yes, there are arrogant servers who don't do anything to better your experience and expect a 20% minimum tip. I can see how that would be frustrating to many. There's also a lot of servers who work their asses off and get treated like absolute crap by the clientele. When this discussion comes up, it's so easy to tell the people who have worked in the industry, from the people who have never stepped close to it.

To get tipped 0% or to try and make a statement with leaving a penny, the service in my mind has to be absolutely atrocious and to the point where you're never going back to that establishment again.

15% if the service is as average as can be and so is the food. I'll usually tip 18-20% for most service and then if it's a place I go to a lot or know the people working it's usually around 25%
I refuse to tip when I get take out. Wtf am I tipping? I paid for my food. I'm coming to get it.
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Notorious Honey Badger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #38
tenyardrambo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
I refuse to tip when I get take out. Wtf am I tipping? I paid for my food. I'm coming to get it.

very true

I will tip servers for going up and beyond the call of duty.
1. Making sure my pop/water is topped off
2. If I order an appetizer, the main course should not come while we are still eating the appetizer.
3. If service is busy, great communication is being used.

To me the server gets paid to work by the employer, if the server treats me/us with exceptional service then I will definately will tip.

If the refills and communication is lacking...no tip.
tenyardrambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #39
BlackRedGold25
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_1987 View Post
Do you also tip at McDonald's, grocery stores, clothing stores, electronics stores and basically every other business you purchase goods and products at? If not, then maybe you should. Otherwise, I think your advice is ridiculous.
BlackRedGold25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #40
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tipping in entirely dependant on how the server looks. If it's a male, I'll tip him lightly. If she is hot, she gets a nicer tip. If she is large and plump, she gets the biggest tip of all.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post: