Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2014, 03:12 AM   #1201
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

So my cousin works for BioWare. He started as a level designer working on Taris in KotOR, and moved up from there. He went on to work on the Mass Effect series, but has had a lot of contact with the fellows in the SW department.

I got talking with him this afternoon regarding SWtoR, and future x-pac's came up. It was pure speculation on both our parts, but we agreed that it would be cool if Bio introduced a neutral class (ala Panderan from WoW) that allowed you to chose your faction. We agreed that a Mandalorian would be fitting, and would possibly have an excellent class story.

We also discussed the possibility of a faction switch quest. It would be a quest you purchase from the GTN and allows you to switch your entire class over to the opposite faction. For example, a Republic Smuggler could undertake the quest and switch to Imperial, all the while remaining a Smuggler.

He said he would discuss these ideas with his fellow employees and if there was any news he would bring it to me. He also said if anyone I knew (you guys and gals) had any ideas to tell me and I would bring them up to him.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #1202
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So my cousin works for BioWare. He started as a level designer working on Taris in KotOR, and moved up from there. He went on to work on the Mass Effect series, but has had a lot of contact with the fellows in the SW department.
Can you ask him what the team working on the game thought about the ending of ME3? I've always been curious if anyone voiced objections about it internally.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #1203
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know if mechanics wise switching factions ability would be able to happen,

I do like the idea of a neutral mercenary class, but the mechanics of that in terms of planetary stories would be mind boggling.

I'd just at one point like to see them finish the class stories, I mean the Emperor is still alive. The empire rallied from a lot of losing at Makeb, but there's still a war to fight.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #1204
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry, but I don't think they will ever come out with another class (and so story line)... They have stated that although it made the game unique and awesome it was way too much work, way to costly, time consuming and they have even stated several times in public forums that while the new future expansions will have class arcs in the sense that the dialog may be skewed to each class slightly they will never be adding completely new class specific story lines (or finishing the existing ones - unless its a shared arc by all). This is why Makeb was the way it was, oricon as well and that will be the status quo go forward sadly. Don't shoot the messenger... I'd love to see this happen and think they are forgetting about what made the game click for many of us.

The faction change idea is possible but still has many complications... its already possible to unlock any species for any faction, since they are mirrored classes it would not be hard to simply flick the switch... but the storly lines could present a problem... unless they unimersfully stated - if you do this you will not understand where your story line came from, how it got there and why its going where its going (if it goes anywhere)... Then they'd have to turn off all the class missions on low planets... companions would have to just magically switch, datacrons specific to faction (incl. planets like hutta - imp only) would have to be removed... there are a lot of little things to think about with that (achievements, space combat) - that said, although possible I am against this... hated it in WOW and don't like here even more... World PVP is already watered down... now I see a jedi walking around fleet and I'm like "hey dude." - not for me... if you have a jugg and want a knight, roll a new toon... enjoy the story.

Personally I'd just like them to focus on building more end game, keep it going... I was really dissapointed to find out the new flashpoint doesn't count for the weekly quest that is "do 3 HM FP's" quest for elite coms... the fact they spent time on a flashpoint no one at end game needs or will see unless they are leveling an alt is a bit dissapointing. For me I already have completed all 8 stories... and I have all my "main" 55 toons that I want (my healing sorc, my jug tank, sniper DPS and Pyro PVP toons)... I *might* level another toon someday... but right now I have lots of stuff to do with those 4... I have one of everyhthing if I want to switch it up... and since I have seen all the stories... I may never step foot in this new flashpoint... unless I do it just to see it... but I'll never *need* it... to design 3 new end bosses (ending has 3 possibilities) and I'm not sure but possibly several different mid level bosses... to me they could have made it all a little tougher and created a new operation for end game. I'm not sure why a new leveling dungeon was needed or wanted - I seemed to always be eligable for a FP when leveling.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:59 PM   #1205
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just a note, they are going to be running a double xp point on the Feb 14th weekend. I'm going to start my last toon jedi knight that weekend.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #1206
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Can you ask him what the team working on the game thought about the ending of ME3? I've always been curious if anyone voiced objections about it internally.
We talked about it a lot actually, but he can't really voice his full opinion. He said they were rushed to finish the game, lest legal action be taken. Just from talking to him, I've discerned that he, and many people on the team, were disappointed with the ending, but he's made no comment on what direction the ending would have taken.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #1207
Luder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Just a note, they are going to be running a double xp point on the Feb 14th weekend. I'm going to start my last toon jedi knight that weekend.
It's not until March 14th
Luder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #1208
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Crap, reading comprehension failure
Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #1209
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaN_26 View Post
Personally I'd just like them to focus on building more end game, keep it going... I was really dissapointed to find out the new flashpoint doesn't count for the weekly quest that is "do 3 HM FP's" quest for elite coms... the fact they spent time on a flashpoint no one at end game needs or will see unless they are leveling an alt is a bit dissapointing. For me I already have completed all 8 stories... and I have all my "main" 55 toons that I want (my healing sorc, my jug tank, sniper DPS and Pyro PVP toons)... I *might* level another toon someday... but right now I have lots of stuff to do with those 4... I have one of everyhthing if I want to switch it up... and since I have seen all the stories... I may never step foot in this new flashpoint... unless I do it just to see it... but I'll never *need* it... to design 3 new end bosses (ending has 3 possibilities) and I'm not sure but possibly several different mid level bosses... to me they could have made it all a little tougher and created a new operation for end game. I'm not sure why a new leveling dungeon was needed or wanted - I seemed to always be eligable for a FP when leveling.
Seriously? Um, how about because, aside from the class stories, grinding a toon through the leveling process is boring, and it's nice for them to add new things for the new players or 'young' toons once in a while? The entire game doesn't revolve around the end game. You have said it yourself, you have a LOT of things already to do on any toon you would want to...and you are seriously begrudging some new leveling content?

Wow.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #1210
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Seriously? Um, how about because, aside from the class stories, grinding a toon through the leveling process is boring, and it's nice for them to add new things for the new players or 'young' toons once in a while? The entire game doesn't revolve around the end game. You have said it yourself, you have a LOT of things already to do on any toon you would want to...and you are seriously begrudging some new leveling content?

Wow.
... ok I'd prefer to see some more end game content... I think your taking my preference a little harsher than I meant it... specifically because my biggest gripe is it's a FP that bolsters everyone to a level 55 equivalent but it doesn't offer credit to 55's that need to run 3 HM FP's every week for their weekly quest and elite coms... you want to talk boring... lets talk athis or hammer station again... and once your midly geared there is zero challenge... so why this other place doesn't count is stupid.

I never said the entire game revolves around the end game but that said last month I leveled my sniper from scratch to 55... given I have several other 55's and some crafters to keep me in decent mods and orange gear I was able to level purely by purchasing the class mission XP boost from the legacy window, buy some 3 hour XP boosts off the GTN and only doing my class missions and the odd planet quest line when I was starting to get a little too far behind the planet level 3-4 levels. maybe every second planet... I ran almost no fp's but could have been in a q for one all the time... I could have run PVP or space or the old space missions for an xp boost... I didn't do any of that... Seriously if you think leveling in this game is a grind your doing it wrong. There are already tons of options and different ways to get XP to mix it up... If you don't have a level 55 or you only have 1 then I hardly think the leveling experience is grind... its enjoyable, great sstory and fun quests... by the time you have done it enough to bored of it the above applies... either way your doing it wrong.

one more flashpoint that you might get over and over instead of doing the ones that come as you level and have some great story themselves that fit your progress and help out with at level gear... it just seems like a waste to me... levleing toons already had flashpoint and this scaling one does nothing for level 55 toons. So given that option I'd prefer the time be spent building more actual end game content or at the very least if you're going to build something that scales to every level let it at least count toward end game dailies so its not completely useless to a person that doesn't require any more toons or doesn't use alts.

Last edited by MaDMaN_26; 02-07-2014 at 04:44 PM.
MaDMaN_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:12 AM   #1211
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaN_26 View Post
Words
I dont have anything to add, or any comments on what you said. I just have to say that your random use of ellipsis, and intermittent capitalization of letters, really makes for a difficult read.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #1212
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
I dont have anything to add, or any comments on what you said. I just have to say that your random use of ellipsis, and intermittent capitalization of letters, really makes for a difficult read.
Is that a serious comment... ? It's a wonder I post here at all... with the elitist bull#### I get. Anything else I haven't done to some magic ####ing code that doesn't live up to some ####ing standard you have picked... #### you. I'm a good guy and my friends in my guild are good people.

Piss off. You're not welcome.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:57 AM   #1213
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wasn't intending to offend. I was merely pointing out that your post was difficult to read. I really don't think that is elitist.

No where did I imply you weren't a good person. I have no idea where that came from. I assume there have been previous incidents, but none have involved me. I really don't think it is fair that you take out all your aggression on me for one comment.

I'm sorry for saying your post was hard to read. I thought, this being a message board on the internet, that a post about a bit of grammar wouldn't be taken to heart so much. I tend to take stuff like that as constructive criticism and build off it, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited by Trailer Fire; 02-08-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Trailer Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #1214
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

So that was a pretty reasonable reaction...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #1215
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just downloaded and started a Jedi Sentinel. Not bad so far. Game is really glitchy but not terrible enough to not play. Glad its easy to solo so far.

EDIT: Just discovered I maybe rushing the story line a bit. A little out matched going into the Jedi Temple at level 12.

Last edited by dammage79; 02-08-2014 at 03:03 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #1216
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, wtf is with having to subscribe to get a storage locker? That's kind of crap. I have all these pilot uni's and nowhere to put them.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #1217
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Also, wtf is with having to subscribe to get a storage locker? That's kind of crap. I have all these pilot uni's and nowhere to put them.
Are you in the guild?

If not, send Fergia a messsage. I'll be on shortly for a bit.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #1218
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did one quest on Nar Shaada and can't do it. I'm level 23, so I figure I can get away with skipping the planet, save for the Class missions.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #1219
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry I haven't been on folks. I'm away on vacation until Wednesday
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #1220
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I, for one, am glad our Komskie Overlord is AFK. It lets us say mean things behind his back with little fear of internment in the Gulags.

Last edited by Trailer Fire; 02-08-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Trailer Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trailer Fire For This Useful Post: