Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #321
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
The effect is awareness and education. The world becomes a little better each time someone new starts to understand what we are fighting for and start supporting it.
100% true. It needs to start when children are very young. If you don’t believe it check out some of people’s comments, on CP, rendered in this thread. Too dumb and too stubborn to re-evaluate.

Literally, some are incorrigible , stuck in their ignorance and false doctrines.

Very very sad!

Last edited by timbit; 08-27-2020 at 09:28 PM.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 09:27 PM   #322
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I understand why they're doing this. A two day or three day stand is a good first step. I mentioned before that if they suddenly boycotted the entire season, that would be very damaging to their employers, who are not the initiators of this problem. If the playe4rs boycott the rest of the season, they have to be prepared to never play again.

However, what I'm fearful of is that this movement, if we can call that, might be triggered by single incidents. We all know there's a overall problem of police brutality and we all know it's going to happen again. So do these sports just continue on until the next incident? What if that incident is tomorrow? What if it's 3 weeks from now? What if it's in the off-season when the players are no longer in the bubble. Do they not start the new season?

Even with all the good that's happening, even with police chiefs and mayors saying the right things, even if there was new legislation, there will be another incident, there's has to be. A police officer with the best intentions could make a mistake a shoot a black man. It cannot be perfect. Then what?

Last edited by GirlySports; 08-27-2020 at 09:31 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:36 PM   #323
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Crown Royal and Pepsi is fantastic.
No. Crown & ginger.
It’s like candy.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 09:45 PM   #324
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Can I just have the Pepsi? All mixed drinks with Cola are garbage.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:45 PM   #325
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I understand why they're doing this. A two day or three day stand is a good first step. I mentioned before that if they suddenly boycotted the entire season, that would be very damaging to their employers, who are not the initiators of this problem. If the playe4rs boycott the rest of the season, they have to be prepared to never play again.

However, what I'm fearful of is that this movement, if we can call that, might be triggered by single incidents. We all know there's a overall problem of police brutality and we all know it's going to happen again. So do these sports just continue on until the next incident? What if that incident is tomorrow? What if it's 3 weeks from now? What if it's in the off-season when the players are no longer in the bubble. Do they not start the new season?

Even with all the good that's happening, even with police chiefs and mayors saying the right things, even if there was no legislation, there will be another incident, there's has to be. A police officer with the best intentions could make a mistake a shoot a black man. It cannot be perfect. Then what?
It won’t be perfect but it sure as hell can be miles better.

Police officers need much better training. Teachers in the USA ( not knowledgeable on Canada salaries) make about 50-60percent of what police officers make, annually, in the USA. Police officers also have far less formal education than teachers.

You cannot excuse killing a person(s) because of “mistakes“.

Pay the teachers more and educate kids early and often on racial equality.
Higher education standards and better training for police offIcers.

IMO, these are the long term solutions. Priorities!
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:51 PM   #326
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Can I just have the Pepsi?
We’re not there yet.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #327
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

Even with all the good that's happening, even with police chiefs and mayors saying the right things, even if there was new legislation, there will be another incident, there's has to be. A police officer with the best intentions could make a mistake a shoot a black man. It cannot be perfect. Then what?
Sometimes a single incident can bring about change, ie: Port Arthur, AU or the Nova Scotia shooting. What that looks like here is still unknown, but there is enough traction that it may lead to something good.

The best thing that can come from this a repeal of the 2nd Amendment, but that's a really heavy lift.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:57 PM   #328
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Unless the USA has a full on revolution and second civil war, in which the constitution gets rewritten from scratch because the Dems finally won something, I’d put the odds of the second amendment being repealed on level with my chances of becoming President in November.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 09:57 PM   #329
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
We’re not there yet.
I'm more of a neat type of guy but id drink Pepsi for the both of ya
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:00 PM   #330
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Can I just have the Pepsi? All mixed drinks with Cola are garbage.

codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #331
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Unless the USA has a full on revolution and second civil war, in which the constitution gets rewritten from scratch because the Dems finally won something, I’d put the odds of the second amendment being repealed on level with my chances of becoming President in November.
living in America I was always blown away how broad second amendment "support" was. Most people you speak will never openly say anything against it.
When the second amendment was written most people in America lived far from civilization, there were no real police or systems of justice, and the guns were like muskets. It has no place in current society.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:05 PM   #332
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
Regardless of race, most civilians from 2013 to 2017 who were involved in police use of force cases were unarmed (67%) at the time of their encounter with the TPS. Overall, a higher proportion of White people had a weapon in police use of force cases. While a higher proportion of Black people had a gun (8.3% of Black people vs. 3.6% of White people) or a knife (16.7% of Black people vs. 14.7% of White people) in police use of force cases, a higher proportion of White people had a gun (20% of White people vs. 11.1% of Black people) in police shootings.

Although there were more allegations of Black people (41.7%) resisting arrest than White people (25.5%), White people were more likely to have a criminal record (54.5%) and to have allegedly threatened or attacked police (61.8%) than Black people (44.4% – criminal record; 44.4% – threatened or attacked police).

From 2013-2017, according to SIU reports, most civilians (70.4%) were not exhibiting mental health issues at the time of their encounter with the TPS that involved use of force. However, a large proportion of use of force cases involved people exhibiting mental health issues (29.6%).

Dr. Wortley’s analysis suggests that White people are “most often exposed to police use of force when experiencing a mental health crisis.” White people are over-represented in use of force cases where the civilian was exhibiting mental health issues

What exactly is hard to find here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 11:00 PM   #333
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I said MIXED drinks! A belt of scotch hardly counts.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:02 PM   #334
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If some of you are disappointed in some of the responses here at CP, I highly suggest you avoid the official Flames Facebook page supporting BLM. Lost a lot of respect for this fanbase as a whole reading through that filth.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:16 PM   #335
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
If some of you are disappointed in some of the responses here at CP, I highly suggest you avoid the official Flames Facebook page supporting BLM. Lost a lot of respect for this fanbase as a whole reading through that filth.
I’m sure the ownership wouldn’t do this but it would be great to see the players say something like if you hold these disgusting views then we don’t want you as fans. GTFO.

Won’t happen but sometimes the right aims supersede materialistic ones.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:21 PM   #336
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
living in America I was always blown away how broad second amendment "support" was. Most people you speak will never openly say anything against it.
When the second amendment was written most people in America lived far from civilization, there were no real police or systems of justice, and the guns were like muskets. It has no place in current society.
That is not my experience but I can't deny there are many who obviously support it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:00 AM   #337
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was it wise to cancel all sports on the night of Trumps acceptance speech? Probably improved his ratings. Honestly ALL efforts should be focused on getting him out of office. It may not fix all the problems but it is the ONLY first step.

If he wins again she's all over
Old 08-28-2020, 12:24 AM   #338
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For those who say this boycotting won't amount to much... My 8 year-old son asked me why there aren't any NHL or NBA games today and I had to explain to him why the players decided not to play. It at least forced me to start the conversation with him and explain what racism means and how it isn't fair.

I'm proud of the players for doing this because I'm sure it generated conversations similar to one I had in other households. There are bigger things to talk about than sports.

Racism won't end overnight, but at least future generations will be more open-minded at such an impressionable age to effect change when their time comes.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stud_McCool For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 12:33 AM   #339
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post

Made the mistake of glancing at that as well, and there are some truly reprehensible people on there. WTF is wrong with these arseholes?
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:46 AM   #340
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Facebook comments are always the worst of the worst I wouldn't let it get to you

I was reading another hockey board today and that made me proud of CP (for the most part)

Last edited by dino7c; 08-28-2020 at 12:48 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black lives matter , boycott , politics