Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #181
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
You just circled yourself into a corner here- do you not believe what is going on in the US is wrong?
See this to me is part of the problem trying to discuss what needs to be done to accomplish what the african american community is trying to accomplish. LeBron James had a big talk about what happened in Kenosha, then veered off into reading the mind of the cop "today is the day I am going to kill a guy". There is no need for that in any discussion, sorry if you disagree.

What Azure is asking, is when players such as LeBron make a large portion of his money from things in China he is connected to what is happening there also, but when questioned about it he got mad and defensive. All he had to say was the CCP has no right to cause the Genocide of the people there and move on. Nobody has said that they do not believe what is going on in the US is wrong.

A question for you as you seem to be on top of all this, do the people the other night who attacked a woman in a restaurant have the right to physically force a person to get on board with their protest (and the people doing it were a bunch of white teen agers)? This is what I mean about constructive discussion, we all know that the cops killing people has to stop but so does the crowd attacking innocent people for no reason.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 03:43 PM   #182
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
They just want tonight off to watch Trump's convention.
What the hell is wrong with you?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #183
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
But of course not second to how China treats the Uyghur's.

Or how Nike, who has multi billion dollar endorsement deals with many of the NBA players boycotting, including Lebron James, the most outspoken NBA player, has the Uyghur's making their apparel and shoes.

Sorry, but all this stuff about picking sides, and giving up what you love, lets not kid ourselves.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e25_story.html

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyg...020174533.html
CalgaryFan1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #184
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

He trolls on the razor thing edge of a ban hammer. And pretty decent at it too since he's still posting.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #185
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
See this to me is part of the problem trying to discuss what needs to be done to accomplish what the african american community is trying to accomplish. LeBron James had a big talk about what happened in Kenosha, then veered off into reading the mind of the cop "today is the day I am going to kill a guy". There is no need for that in any discussion, sorry if you disagree.

What Azure is asking, is when players such as LeBron make a large portion of his money from things in China he is connected to what is happening there also, but when questioned about it he got mad and defensive. All he had to say was the CCP has no right to cause the Genocide of the people there and move on. Nobody has said that they do not believe what is going on in the US is wrong.

A question for you as you seem to be on top of all this, do the people the other night who attacked a woman in a restaurant have the right to physically force a person to get on board with their protest (and the people doing it were a bunch of white teen agers)? This is what I mean about constructive discussion, we all know that the cops killing people has to stop but so does the crowd attacking innocent people for no reason.
This is a difficult one. Again, I think that we have to separate Lebron James the black man with shared black community experiences, from Lebron James the superstar athlete who makes money off of endorsement deals from a multinational corporation that profits off of slavery. That's difficult, but someone can be hypocritical but still right about something. I am one of the first to tear into Lebron for his silence on China, but it has NOTHING to do with how he or other black people feel about the current situation in the United States. Period.

In the case of Lebron trying to "read the mind of the cop"- I think it is justifiable for a Black man in the United States to feel that this is in the mind of every police officer they encounter on any given day, given the ongoing experience that people of color are facing in the United States. There's been open protests against this exact form of police brutality for months, and yet here we are as it keeps on happening.
Is that speculation part of an informed discussion on the matter at hand? No probably not. Is it perfectly reasonable as an emotional response from someone who feels targeted and marginalized for the color of their skin, and has ample evidence enough to prove that case over and over again? Yes, I think so.

I am not familiar with the incident you mentioned, and I couldn't find anything recent on google (though probably because of ####ty google-fu), but without having read more into it I agree with you. There is no cause to use violence against non-aggressors in the pursuit of an end to your own violence, in my opinion.
That being said, the situation I am aware of that happened last night involved a white teenager, 17, who was an attendee of police training camp in a neighboring state, coming to "aid" the police in quelling the riots. He was illegally open carrying a high powered rifle. He shot three protestors, killing two. There are videos of the cops "thanking him" for coming and assisting them during a curfew, against the protests, before the shooting.

To me it sounds like many white people are certainly acting not as non-aggressors, but are aggressively taking the side of fascism. Does this not give you pause?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #186
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
You just circled yourself into a corner here- do you not believe what is going on in the US is wrong?
Of course it is wrong. Of course it needs to be dealt with. Of course we need reform on the local, state and federal level.

But I'm also under no illusion that a bunch of millionares issuing social justice statements is what real change is.

Real change is generational. Real change is almost ALWAYS done on the local community level. Standing on a pedestal and boycotting a rich man's sport is not enacting real change.

If the NBA (or NHL) really wants to enact change, they should have have outreach programs to help those in need.

Oh wait, the NHL also does. I'm sure the NBA does as well. But despite the fact that these leagues have literally changed the lives of millions of kids, we ignore that part, and accuse them for not doing 'enough.'
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #187
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Of course it is wrong. Of course it needs to be dealt with. Of course we need reform on the local, state and federal level.

But I'm also under no illusion that a bunch of millionares issuing social justice statements is what real change is.

Real change is generational. Real change is almost ALWAYS done on the local community level. Standing on a pedestal and boycotting a rich man's sport is not enacting real change.

If the NBA (or NHL) really wants to enact change, they should have have outreach programs to help those in need.

Oh wait, the NHL also does. I'm sure the NBA does as well. But despite the fact that these leagues have literally changed the lives of millions of kids, we ignore that part, and accuse them for not doing 'enough.'
I'm still totally enraged by your previous comment.

Do you think Mohammed Ali giving up his titles to not go to war was not a stance? That was a black man boycotting a rich man's sport.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:02 PM   #188
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I appreciate everything about the black athletes in the NHL and their stand, and I agree with them on anything. The only thing that takes anything away from it is having Evander Kane being any sort of public figure in it. I just can't look at him or listen to him without thinking about all the crap he's done on and off the ice in his career.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:02 PM   #189
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #190
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Solidarity is powerful.

Standing in solidarity isn't so much about what is happening to you or how it may affect your life, but rather to recognize and have a conversation about how it affects the lives of others and the society we share as people.

While it's late - I am happy the NHL will stand in solidarity with this cause.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #191
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
Because of their track record when it comes to tackling important issues like this. They are always last to the party.
Really? Because they are in Canada and not playing today...meanwhile baseball

No bubble, in US, playing games today
Old 08-27-2020, 04:04 PM   #192
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
I appreciate everything about the black athletes in the NHL and their stand, and I agree with them on anything. The only thing that takes anything away from it is having Evander Kane being any sort of public figure in it. I just can't look at him or listen to him without thinking about all the crap he's done on and off the ice in his career.

It’s not about his actions, it’s about the colour of his skin. And politics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnhitbox For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #193
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegCityFlamesFan View Post
I know what you are saying, but I think this is the same as the Lebron James is a hypocrite argument.
Evander Kane is arguably a garbage individual for many other reasons, but he has every right to stand up against systemic racism, and good on him for doing so while in a public facing position where he could theoretically receive backlash (reduced jersey sales/ obtuse hate mail/ etc.) for it.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #194
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Yes, now when the spotlight is on them they are acting and telling everyone they are doing something.

But Nike is only doing this because we are finally starting to see some actual reporting from China that is bringing light to this issue.

Do you honestly believe Nike wasn't aware of this? Do you honestly believe Lebron was not aware of this? Billions of dollars on the line, and they don't know that labor camps are being used to make their apparel?

You don't run billion dollar enterprises and not be aware of who you deal with.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:07 PM   #195
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Really? Because they are in Canada and not playing today...meanwhile baseball

No bubble, in US, playing games today
The “what about” arguments are out in full force today.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #196
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm still totally enraged by your previous comment.

Do you think Mohammed Ali giving up his titles to not go to war was not a stance? That was a black man boycotting a rich man's sport.
Perhaps you should be more enraged with the NBA and all its cohorts who have stood by and supported what has happened in Hong Kong to your family instead of being enraged at someone on the internet that you don't know who strangely enough probably agrees with 95% of what you are saying.

Is Lebron give up titles? Is Lebron giving up anything? Has Lebron ever given up anything? Ever taken a stance that would have resulted in him losing something? Losing his titles, his endorsement deals, his contract, his money?

No. So why would you compare him to Ali? Why even bring Ali up?

Colin Kaepernick gave up a lot. More than Lebron ever did, or ever will.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #197
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
I know what you are saying, but I think this is the same as the Lebron James is a hypocrite argument.
Evander Kane is arguably a garbage individual for many other reasons, but he has every right to stand up against systemic racism, and good on him for doing so while in a public facing position where he could theoretically receive backlash (reduced jersey sales/ obtuse hate mail/ etc.) for it.
Actually, that is not a fair argument at all.

Evander Kane definitely has a sketchy history, but it has been a long time since he has done anything stupid. Not only does he have the right to stand up for what he believes (Lebron does too), but unlike Lebron he isn't a hypocrite in doing so.
Old 08-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #198
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There was an Australian player trying to make the Heat, i wish I could remember his name. He was on the Rome show and told a story how he was on the court early practicing his shot and when LeBron came out of the dressing he yelled "get this white boy off my court".
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #199
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Just got the Reuter’s buzz on my phone. Two days of games postponed. Good.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #200
Zamboniman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can't say I'm surprised by the game postponement decision by the diversity committee. In fact, I kinda expected it, which was one of the reasons I wanted to start this discussion.

Reading the comments is *fascinating* to me. Lots of folks seem to think such decisions don't actually have an effect in these kind of things. When, of course, we *know* they do (thanks to wealthy folks' bottom lines getting affected) and often are the *only* things that have enough of an effect to enact actual change.
Zamboniman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black lives matter , boycott , politics