Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #121
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beastmode engaged...52 points, new franchise record
Old 01-01-2018, 08:19 PM   #122
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a game.

Phenomenal performance by DeRozan. Not a good offensive game for Ibaka overall, but he came up big to stuff Giannis' dunk attempt at a critical moment. Bulldog Lowry doing his thing again, and FVV has got major guts.

Last edited by Karl; 01-01-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #123
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrence Ross being the other Raptor besides Vince and DeMar with 50+ is definitely one of the best Raptor trivia questions.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:15 PM   #124
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I want to get excited for the Raps. I really do, but every time I see them play a decent oppponent like Milwaukee tonight I see nothing but a mediocre team who would be .500 in the Western Conference at best. These guys can’t win big games. They beat up on a garbage conference. That’s about it.
They are 11-6 against the west with all of those losses coming on the road. I'm guessing that doesn't really fit your narrative though.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #125
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
They are 11-6 against the west with all of those losses coming on the road. I'm guessing that doesn't really fit your narrative though.
The Raptors are 3-5 against teams with a record of greater than .500 in the West. Of those 3 wins, two were against Portland and Denver who are the bottom teams in the Western playoffs race.

So yeah.... it fits my narrative perfectly, you just don’t like it. The Raptors can’t beat actual competitive teams and beat up on bottoms feeders. Beating the Phoenix Suns/Sacramento Kings/LA Lakers is not impressive. Here are the teams the Raptors have played against this season in upper echelon of the league.

Spurs - Lost
Golden State - Lost
Washington - Lost
Boston - Lost
Houston - Won
Washington - Won
Thunder - Lost

They’ve basically played 7 meaningful games this year and are 2-5 in those games. They’ve had a cake schedule this year and we’ll see in the second half of they are actually a threat or not, but early signs don’t look good. January is a really hard schedule for them so we’ll start to see sooner rather than later. They’ve got The Warriors, the Cavs, the Spurs and Minnesota (x2) all on deck.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:25 PM   #126
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Raptors are 3-5 against teams with a record of greater than .500 in the West. Of those 3 wins, two were against Portland and Denver who are the bottom teams in the Western playoffs race.

So yeah.... it fits my narrative perfectly, you just don’t like it. The Raptors can’t beat actual competitive teams and beat up on bottoms feeders. Beating the Phoenix Suns/Sacramento Kings/LA Lakers is not impressive. Here are the teams the Raptors have played against this season in upper echelon of the league.

Spurs - Lost

Golden State - Lost

Washington - Lost

Boston - Lost

Houston - Won

Washington - Won

Thunder - Lost

They’ve basically played 7 meaningful games this year and are 2-5 in those games. They’ve had a cake schedule this year and we’ll see in the second half of they are actually a threat or not, but early signs don’t look good. January is a really hard schedule for them so we’ll start to see sooner rather than later. They’ve got The Warriors, the Cavs, the Spurs and Minnesota (x2) all on deck.

Road games are always tough in the NBA. They are a good team. They are not in the elite, not suggesting they are but they don't have the roster to be elite. Welcome to the modern NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2018, 08:57 AM   #127
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

They have always had an issue beating (or at least putting away, cause the games always seem close) the best teams.

It is probably because our best player, DD, isn't a true superstar. All the teams mentioned have a top 10 (or top 7) player.

Casey also tends to go straight ISO at the end of these game, which is mind blowing
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #128
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raptors had one of the tougher schedules through the first month and a half of the season, a light December, and overall one of the easier schedules in the EC going forward. For east teams, the biggest measure of difficulty is long western conference road swings. The Raptors only have one WC road game left, and have no road trips longer than 3 games remaining (2 of those, including one starting now). They don't even leave the eastern time zone after the all-star break, and have only 6 games on the road against EC playoff teams after the break.

Cleveland, by comparison, is 1-5 on the road against the west, including 0-3 on their just-concluded road trip, and have a six game road trip out west later in the season. They've also got a 5 game mostly EC road trip this month which has 4 games against playoff teams.
Boston hasn't even had a road trip with more than 1 game out west, but will have two 4 game western trips and a 3 game trip still this season.

Right now any of those three teams could win the conference, but Boston and Cleveland definitely have the toughest stretches of their season still ahead on the calendar.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #129
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I’ve bagged on Derozan for years, but he’s an absolute animal this year. Just dominating.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #130
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I’ve bagged on Derozan for years, but he’s an absolute animal this year. Just dominating.
Added the 3-pointer to his arsenal. Scary good.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:15 PM   #131
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Added the 3-pointer to his arsenal. Scary good.
He’s also better on D. Not saying he’s a shut down defender but he used to be a pylon. He’s a decent defender this year.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:00 PM   #132
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
He’s also better on D. Not saying he’s a shut down defender but he used to be a pylon. He’s a decent defender this year.
I think the improvement on the 3 point shot and better D go hand in hand. The 3 takes so much less energy then working for a tough layup, leaves a little extra in the tank for D.

Huge game tonight from Wright as well. Would love to see him take his game to the next level.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #133
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always maintained if he could shoot 40% from three he can be a no doubt top 10 player. I'm still tempering things about his shooting from deep right now, it is still only 10 games for a career 28% guy. But it is still exciting to think what if he can keep it up, because to me that is the missing piece to this team taking the next step. It doesn't only make him better, but it opens up space for everyone else since teams can't crowd the middle against him if they have to respect the three.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #134
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

JV with probably the best single quarter of his career, 20-9 in the third quarter against the Bucks, just feasting on Henson and then Maker.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #135
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blake Griffin took an elbow to the forehead from JaVale McGee. Looked like he was out cold for an instant, body trembling uncontrollably after he hit the floor. That was ugly.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #136
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavs tonight, Warriors on Saturday, best home record in the league. Let's see what they got.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #137
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Cavs tonight, Warriors on Saturday, best home record in the league. Let's see what they got.
Well its safe to say they've passed the first test!
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 08:38 PM   #138
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fred Van Vleet!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #139
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Fred Van Vleet!
I'm extremely impressed with the player he's becoming. I didn't think he was ever going to more then a 3rd point guard, but he's already showing to be much more then that. He's been a great addition to this team.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 08:56 PM   #140
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally!

What a great sports night!
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire them all , i'm better than ibaka , kawhi so serious? , lebronto , time to go nuclear