Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #361
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Would you first answer the question of why you’ve done your best to justify the shooting of Blake, and the killings of both Floyd and Brooks, by talking about their criminal past or what they did in the moment to earn a potential death sentence, but Kyle Rittenhouse was barely worth a mention to you?

Do you believe Rittenhouse deserves to die, too? I don’t, but what do you think?
Sure I will (try to) answer these questions. But first, I really do not remeber personally justifying the murder of George Floyd or the shooting of Rayshad Brooks as I personally do not belive Floyd deserved to be suffocated or Brooks deserve to be shot. My posts are predominantly based on how a court could rule based on the videos we've all seen, the information and reports available at the time and what the jurisdiction police training is. A persons past behaviour has a huge impact on how the police handle their arrest, so like it not a suspect with criminal background is treated differently then anyone with no prior arrest, a criminal past is relevant to any situation as an arresting officer.

I don't believe any of these men deserved to die. I don't think I've seen a singel person who defends the cop who killed George Floyd. Did Rayshad Brooks deserve to be shot? No. Did I point out that he fought with police, took one of their weapons ("ITS JUST HIS TASER") and ran off, yes. Did I state how an officer could deam Brooks a threat? yes. Did I argue how the officer will get of on the charges? yes. Is that right? No. If I did personally defend this shooting initially, I don't upon reflection.

I've barley followed the Rittenhouse shootings, and arrest. Based on what I know it looks like he is a total nut job who is lucky to be alive. Never saw video of his arrest, did he have his hands up and was he following orders from the police? Was he fighting the police while they we're trying to arrest has him? I hope these reasons, not his skin colour is why he was arrested anot not shot by police.

Being arrested is pretty simple, listen, do as your told, keep you hands visible.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 08-28-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #362
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
Never saw video of his arrest, did he have his hands up and was he following orders from the police? Was he fighting the police while they we're trying to arrest has him? I hope these reasons, not his skin colour is why he was arrested anot not shot by police.

Being arrested is pretty simple, listen, do as your told, keep you hands visible.
You really, really, really need to get up to date on events before posting...the video of him and how police handled him will shock you.

You will understand the boycotts.

Hint: he was not arrested the night of the shooting, in fact quite the opposite

Last edited by Firebot; 08-28-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #363
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
You really, really, really need to get up to date on events before posting...the video of him and how police handled him will shock you.

You will understand the boycotts.
I will go watch it.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #364
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those wanting to "keep politics out of sports" or to "stop making things political," you may not like what that would mean for the new arena. The current one too, for that matter.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #365
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m proud (by association as a fan) that the players and the NHL have taken this action. It is a peaceful action that in itself won’t change things in the short term. But like a wave of goodness, it is another contribution to the erosion of the foundations of racism.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 08-28-2020, 10:16 AM   #366
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am also troubled by the question that Derek Sutton is asking.

Before, I was clearly in the camp of obeying the police, keeping your mouth shut and dealing with the arrest after the fact. However, I am coming to realize that is my white, middle-aged, lawyer response and not the lived reality of so many people that interact with the police. I have watched a lot of videos in the last few months and have seen a lot of contrasting orders being shouted at people being arrested. Part of this may be a mis-communication between the police in a tense situation but I am starting to think (as it was mentioned elsewhere) that it is a tactic to get the person to act contrary to what you ordered so you can beat him for "resisting arrest". This reality for a black person getting stopped is that it very well could be a life or death situation for them. In that situation, a fight or flight response is normal. The result is often a dead "suspect". I have seen a number of videos where I wonder what the #### the person was thinking when they pulled out a gun and started shooting when they were in very minimal trouble, smoking pot in public for example. Then you consider things like the three strike rules and maybe such a small crime means they go to jail for a very long time.

I think the above is part of the problem but I would like to hear what others think about this as well. Why do 'suspects' fight or flee from the police when there is such a small chance of it going well?
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 10:32 AM   #367
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
For those wanting to "keep politics out of sports" or to "stop making things political," you may not like what that would mean for the new arena. The current one too, for that matter.
Cancel it. Don't care. I probably won't be watching professional sports anymore. The longer this goes on the more it seems being a sports fan is akin to being a child.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #368
LeatherFace
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This guy gives a pretty comprehensive breakdown of the whole Kyle Rittenhouse incident with a step by step timeline, slowmos of all the shootings and alot of other details hightlighted that some might've missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbsO...ctr=1598631305
LeatherFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #369
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Cancel it. Don't care. I probably won't be watching professional sports anymore. The longer this goes on the more it seems being a sports fan is akin to being a child.
I don't understand what any of this has to do with sports fans being akin to children?
Old 08-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #370
Darth Tkachuk
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder how many people on here that support BLM being in sports have actually gone to the website, and read the section "What we believe"? I disagree with their politics, and the subsequent injection of BLM into places it has no place being (like the NHL, NBA, and NFL). I'm betting next to nobody here has done that, and they're just blindly following the mindless masses, like good little sheep. Or are they afraid they're going to be labeled as a racist if they dare disagree with the ideas of people who happen to have black skin?
Darth Tkachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darth Tkachuk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 10:52 AM   #371
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Why does BLM have no place in the nhl, nba and nfl?

I think there could be some of the finer points lost when someone says they disagree with BLM politics but honestly I’ve not read many arguments that oppose BLM that aren’t just straight up racist. Or racists pretending to not be racist by using the same BS euphemisms and double speak that we’ve seen time and time again
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #372
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Tkachuk View Post
I wonder how many people on here that support BLM being in sports have actually gone to the website, and read the section "What we believe"? I disagree with their politics, and the subsequent injection of BLM into places it has no place being (like the NHL, NBA, and NFL). I'm betting next to nobody here has done that, and they're just blindly following the mindless masses, like good little sheep. Or are they afraid they're going to be labeled as a racist if they dare disagree with the ideas of people who happen to have black skin?
Well I haven't heard this deplorable argument before...

Wake up sheeple!
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:54 AM   #373
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Dp
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:55 AM   #374
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Or racists pretending to not be racist by using the same BS euphemisms and double speak that we’ve seen time and time again
This is it right here. It's the same talking points over and over again for these racists. They are literally too closed minded to understand.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #375
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I read thru the section. Nothing seems out of place to me, but maybe I'm just your run of the mill Marxist-Leninist.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #376
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #377
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I’m sure lots have. Especially those who read the OT thread. It’s been discussed at length.

Here’s the link: https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/

Here’s what it says:
Quote:
Every day, we recommit to healing ourselves and each other, and to co-creating alongside comrades, allies, and family a culture where each person feels seen, heard, and supported.

We acknowledge, respect, and celebrate differences and commonalities.

We work vigorously for freedom and justice for Black people and, by extension, all people.

We intentionally build and nurture a beloved community that is bonded together through a beautiful struggle that is restorative, not depleting.

We are unapologetically Black in our positioning. In affirming that Black Lives Matter, we need not qualify our position. To love and desire freedom and justice for ourselves is a prerequisite for wanting the same for others.

We see ourselves as part of the global Black family, and we are aware of the different ways we are impacted or privileged as Black people who exist in different parts of the world.

We are guided by the fact that all Black lives matter, regardless of actual or perceived sexual identity, gender identity, gender expression, economic status, ability, disability, religious beliefs or disbeliefs, immigration status, or location.

We make space for transgender brothers and sisters to participate and lead.

We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.

We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.

We practice empathy. We engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts.

We make our spaces family-friendly and enable parents to fully participate with their children. We dismantle the patriarchal practice that requires mothers to work “double shifts” so that they can mother in private even as they participate in public justice work.

We disrupt the Western-prescribed nuclear family structure requirement by supporting each other as extended families and “villages” that collectively care for one another, especially our children, to the degree that mothers, parents, and children are comfortable.

We foster a queer‐affirming network. When we gather, we do so with the intention of freeing ourselves from the tight grip of heteronormative thinking, or rather, the belief that all in the world are heterosexual (unless s/he or they disclose otherwise).

We cultivate an intergenerational and communal network free from ageism. We believe that all people, regardless of age, show up with the capacity to lead and learn.

We embody and practice justice, liberation, and peace in our engagements with one another.
What do you have an issue with in particular?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:57 AM   #378
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Don’t get caught up in the BLM is a “terrorist group” or what is in the web site. The NBA and NFL are currently the two biggest platforms for a voice for people of color in the USA. They have to be a voice for their communities and their people. It’s not about what the BLM website says, to the players it’s truly about black lives mattering.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 08-28-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #379
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherFace View Post
This guy gives a pretty comprehensive breakdown of the whole Kyle Rittenhouse incident with a step by step timeline, slowmos of all the shootings and alot of other details hightlighted that some might've missed.

The timeline is informative, but the "other details highlighted that some might've missed" are irrelevant discussions about possible criminal records belonging to the victims, and a lot of hand-waving at Ritterhouse's actions in justifying the murders as self-defense.

What is the most ####ed up part of what happened is the fact that several men were emboldened enough to show up and counter-protest an angry mob with assault rifles and pistols. The reason two people are dead and another seriosly wounded is that people with guns were there in the first place. I remain absolutely stupefied that this continues to be acceptable—and even lauditory—behaviour in American society. If one is carrying a gun into an unstable social situation, it is negligent or idiotic of him to fail to recognize that someone else is likely to get killed. This is why "protecting businesses" looks like nothing more than a smokescreen, because I cannot accept that any adult is actually that naive.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 08-28-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #380
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherFace View Post

Lmao this video is embarrassing.

Could have been a tight timeline and factbased but there's so much editorializing and handwaving that it's effectively useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black lives matter , boycott , politics