Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
icon57 Francis: Why Valimaki is unlikely to return this summer

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...return-summer/

Quote:
Even if he’s given a clean bill of health by doctors following 10 months of rehab on his surgically repaired knee, his participation could come at a steep price.

Should the Flames’ prized 21-year-old defenceman step onto the ice for a single play-in or playoff game, it could ultimately cost the club the services of its captain, Mark Giordano.

Here’s how:

The Seattle expansion draft goes next summer and the Flames will be allowed to protect three defencemen, seven forwards and a netminder.

At this point Noah Hanifin and Rasmus Andersson are locks at the back end, given their age, skill and long-term deals.

Valimaki would be a cinch too, but by missing an entire season this year he wouldn’t have enough NHL service to be eligible. Thus, he wouldn’t have to be protected, and the Flames could theoretically protect Giordano instead.

“It’s pretty cut and dried that the eligibility rules on the expansion draft say that to be eligible you have to have played three years pro,” said GM Brad Treliving. “Basically, if you play an NHL game that counts as a year pro. By the letter of the law if he doesn’t play a year of pro – and not that we’re sitting him out – he doesn’t qualify for the expansion.”
Quote:
Valimaki’s rehab was progressing nicely up until the season was paused, and he was even allowed to continue skating under the guidance of team medical staff for a few weeks after NHL play stopped. He returned to Finland soon thereafter, and although he’s since returned to skate in groups of 12 with teammates at the Saddledome, his participation to date has been informal, meaning he has yet to undergo official testing by team doctors.

“The time frame is almost a year for this injury – 10 months if all goes well, so you can be healed, but you haven’t played in a year,” said Treliving, noting the team’s first-round pick in 2017 had ACL surgery late last August.

“I don’t know if he’s healthy [enough] to play.”
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hasn't a year of service time always been based on a 10 game segment? Meaning that 10 games yes, nine games no?
Old 07-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the smart move to leave him out, especially with the depth of D the Flames currently have, but at the same time the guy has hardly played in the last two years. I worry how it will effect his development. Most of us believe we have a sure fire top 4 Dman in the waiting with Vali, but with so much time off, do we really know that?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Hasn't a year of service time always been based on a 10 game segment? Meaning that 10 games yes, nine games no?
That's to kick in their ELC when it's a slide rule and they get sent back to junior.

For example, if next season Pelletier has a great camp and the Flames keep him on the main roster to start the season, if he plays 9 games and then they send him to junior he still has 3 years left on his ELC. If they play him the 10th game then a year of his ELC is burned even if they send him back to junior after that.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I still believe it is entirely unlikely Seattle would choose a (will be by the time they play) 38 year old dman when younger guys will be available from this very team.

Makes little sense.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I still believe it is entirely unlikely Seattle would choose a (will be by the time they play) 38 year old dman when younger guys will be available from this very team.

Makes little sense.
I agree, and it's not just a 38 year old Dman, but a 38 year old Dman with just one year left on his contract. That's not exactly long term planning. Even if he's still playing great they only have him one season probably.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
It's the smart move to leave him out, especially with the depth of D the Flames currently have, but at the same time the guy has hardly played in the last two years. I worry how it will effect his development. Most of us believe we have a sure fire top 4 Dman in the waiting with Vali, but with so much time off, do we really know that?
yeah, that is a very real concern.

Thing is though, dropping him in now could do even more damage to his development as its going to be insanely high pressure from the first puck drop with no room to hide (or really even shelter anyone).

Then you add in how improbable that next season happens anytime before the calendar turns again and its more like 19-20 months of no real on ice training for him as he hasnt played or practiced since what...last April?
Old 07-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #8
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Makes little sense.

Except Gio would have the most value to them, by far. He could easily be flipped at the trade deadline for a 1st +. Gio could make any contending team so much deeper come playoff time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
yeah, that is a very real concern.

Thing is though, dropping him in now could do even more damage to his development as its going to be insanely high pressure from the first puck drop with no room to hide (or really even shelter anyone).

Then you add in how improbable that next season happens anytime before the calendar turns again and its more like 19-20 months of no real on ice training for him as he hasnt played or practiced since what...last April?
I tend to think that the cancellation of next season will significantly level the playing-field for Valimaki, since every player will essentially be in the same predicament by that point.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #10
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

How the heck do they hang onto Gio when they will have to have a top-4 d-man replacing Brodie/Hamonic/Gustaffson/Forbort who are all UFAs

Right now the Flames have 5 d-men NHL level signed for next year.. Gio, Andersen, Hanifin, Valimaki and Kylington. There are no teams that would pencil in Kylington as a top-4 and a lot that would have him in the AHL.

They have 3 guys that will be happy with a strong AHL season with 10 NHL games thrown in.. Mackey, Poolman and Valisev.

Something has to give.

The Flames are not going into next season with a Journeyman player as a top-4 D or just default the spot to Valimaki and hope for the best.

The Flames are pretty much paper-thin on defense until they trade for or sign a top 4 d-man and likely one more solid NHL guy.

If Brodie re-signed for 6M x 4 would they be willing to let him go in the expansion draft?

Even signing 29 yr old Hamonic to a sweet 3.5M x 4 ...

Say they sign De Melo for 4 x 4. The cheapest guy in the potential top-4 d-men Think they want to lose him to Seattle?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #11
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I tend to think that the cancellation of next season will significantly level the playing-field for Valimaki, since every player will essentially be in the same predicament by that point.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
So they go through and play this season out and then they shut down until Oct 2021

What would the improved conditions be that they would be able to start up again in 2021?
Old 07-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #12
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Kylington (Kylington can play the right, and after a year as a rookie, I think that many of the 'jitters' will be out of his game. He's an NHL player. Giving Hanifin more responsibility will be good for his game. He deferred to Hamonic too much.)
Valimaki - Veteran (babysitting and learning)

The biggest problem that Calgary has is that Kylington shows that he needs to be protected. If that happens, and Gio is lost to Seattle, that's why the #1 unsigned NCAA prospect, Conor Mackie is ready with a year of AHL under his belt, to take over the #6 spot.

I have no worries on the back end concerning the defense. Valimaki gets protected from expansion this year, which is why Gustofsson and Forbert were acquired.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #13
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
After he doesn't play will Valimaki have 2 ELC years left or just 1?

If 2019-20 doesn't count as a ELC year for him and he was able to play either conditioning in the AHL or in this years playoffs, he has a legit grievance. His RFA pay off is moved out 2 years compared to Tkachuk and the Flames seem to be taking extraordinary steps to keep his earnings down

With their hardball treatment of Mangiapane (taking a salary cut to play this year) and now Valimaki the Flames are showing the hard side of the hockey business.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #14
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
So they go through and play this season out and then they shut down until Oct 2021

What would the improved conditions be that they would be able to start up again in 2021?
I remain unconvinced that the NHL will get through playing the 2019–20 season. My personal feelings are that there will be no hockey until Autumn 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #15
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not playing Valimaki is just good asset management. Let him practice with the team, get the knee strong, and get an idea if he's going to be what he was on track to be before he got hurt. Save that slot on the blueline and look to fill it through a trade. Have four quality young blueliners come out of expansion. The team will be better in the long run.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2020, 03:47 PM   #16
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I remain unconvinced that the NHL will get through playing the 2019–20 season. My personal feelings are that there will be no hockey until Autumn 2021.
Are schools going to remained closed? Teachers and Profs and support staff furloughed?

Right now most everything is at least partially back except for schools and sports. 80% of small businesses have re-opened to a greater or lesser degree.

It sounds like vaccines and treatments are being approved for use prior to year end. If the vaccine and recovery from Covid with immunity work it is back to normal.... If they don't then it is the end of the world as we know it.... no hockey ever.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:56 PM   #17
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Not playing Valimaki is just good asset management. Let him practice with the team, get the knee strong, and get an idea if he's going to be what he was on track to be before he got hurt. Save that slot on the blueline and look to fill it through a trade. Have four quality young blueliners come out of expansion. The team will be better in the long run.
Are there any examples of players coming back after 12 months?

Ted Green was out for less than a year after being paralyzed and came back with a metal plate in his head.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:56 PM   #18
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Francis is on the mark with the smart decision being to keep Valimaki out so as to not lose an asset to expansion, but really surprised how far off the mark he is on what that loss would be.

Mark Giordano was starting to show major cracks this season before a 5 month lay off, and that regression will likely hasten going forward. He will then be 38 when Seattle picks their team. What part of Vegas' success in expansion would lead anyone to believe they would pick up a 38 year old D-man in the twlight of his career at $6.75mil?

It follows no logic for where the NHL has been headed in terms of speed and youth, or what Vegas was lauded for. It would be a baffling pick that would have execs and pundits scratching their heads in confusion.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #19
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I will be surprised if his development hasn't been seriously impacted by this injury. It's a downer to think about, but I don't think we can pencil him in anymore.

I would love to be wrong of course.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #20
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Are there any examples of players coming back after 12 months?
Sure, lots. There have been lots of knee surgeries that have taken place where the recovery time is the better part of a year. Plus, these circumstances are unique as well. Valikmaki likely would have been back on the ice by now, but COVID-19 has has put a halt to that. Now it is a matter of deciding whether to put him into the lineup for an abbreviated run or sit him out until November and not lose a year of contract. Decision seems pretty simple to me. Enjoy practice and the pop corn Juuso.

Quote:
Ted Green was out for less than a year after being paralyzed and came back with a metal plate in his head.
Why am I not surprised that you all about metal plates in people's heads?

Come on, recognize circumstances and that these are very different from any time in the past. This actually probably works out best for Valimaki. Extra time to rehab the knee and get back to 100%. Also gives him plenty of time to get confidence in the knee and get accustomed to whatever brace they him use. This is all a good thing for him and the team.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote