Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2018, 11:18 AM   #41
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think if Bennett doesn't immediately show something offensively this year hell be gone by Christmas.

No passengers on the roster this year.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #42
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I think if Bennett doesn't immediately show something offensively this year hell be gone by Christmas.

No passengers on the roster this year.

Although Bennett isn’t living up to the hype, he has never been a passenger IMO. At his AAV, he contributes enough, and I don’t really see why he would be gone... unless he wants a change of scenery and a fresh start.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Although Bennett isn’t living up to the hype, he has never been a passenger IMO. At his AAV, he contributes enough, and I don’t really see why he would be gone... unless he wants a change of scenery and a fresh start.
I hate to be negative, but Bennett's lack of progression has really been the 'death knell' of this rebuild.

If Bennett had panned out as he was predicted this team would be a force in the West.

Thats our highest draft pick ever. He needs to be going out on a daily basis and kicking asses and taking names while putting points on the board.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #44
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fair enough, and I agree somewhat. But if you simply look at Bennett for what he is, and what he earns, there is no reason to get rid of him.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, and I agree somewhat. But if you simply look at Bennett for what he is, and what he earns, there is no reason to get rid of him.
And I dont think we should. I do believe that the player we thought was there is there, he just needs a real chance.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #46
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Death Knell of the rebuild? Talk about over dramatic.

Rebuild went great. The Flames have enough great young talent that Bennett turning the corner is not a make or break event.

He’s one of many young Flames who still has high potential. We don’t need them all to turn into their highest potential. If only a couple of Jankowski, Czarnik, Lindholm, Bennett, Mangiapane, Foo take a big step forward the Flames will be a serious competitor.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 11:48 AM   #47
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
In my opinion, last year, his contributions we're a net negative to team success. It wasnt as noticeable because of all the detritus around him, but it will definitely be noticeable this year.

A guy who takes a million penalties and doesn't score isn't going to get the same type of opportunity this year as he had last year.

Last October he was a -3, no points, 14 pims in 12 games. If he has that type of start this season he won't be on the team long. Too many other players on the roster now that would benefit from those minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #48
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nm. Duplicate post
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #49
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think the pressure is primarily on Peters and the players. Obviously if the season doesn't go well BT will be on the hot seat, but in the NHL now, most of the work gets done in the summer. He's delivered and improved roster - now the roster has to deliver. The pressure shifts from the GM in the off-season to the coach and roster in-season.
The pressure is certainly on BT if the goaltending falters again this season, which in my mind is really the teams only area of concern right now. Last year it was great for the first half of the year before the wheels started to fall off and Smith finally got hurt.

There is a strong chance Smith will miss time again, as he always does. If Rittich and/or Gillies can't cover those gaps effectively it could be disastrous to the team's playoff hopes.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:01 PM   #50
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this will be Bennett's last season as a Flame. Adding Neal and Lindholm there is no chance for him on top 6. Not that he had much hope anyways before adding them.

For 3rd line he now has Ryan and Czarnik added for depth to compete with and Mangiapane, Dube ready soon for a top 9 spot. He'll be the odd man out.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #51
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
I think this will be Bennett's last season as a Flame. Adding Neal and Lindholm there is no chance for him on top 6. Not that he had much hope anyways before adding them.

For 3rd line he now has Ryan and Czarnik added for depth to compete with and Mangiapane, Dube ready soon for a top 9 spot. He'll be the odd man out.
Sam Bennett could be the odd-man out, but I think this is really premature, especially after Treliving's last interview on SN960 from Monday where he spoke at length about Bennett and his place on the team.

Moreover, I also think setting an arbitrary divide between "top six" and "bottom six" fails to grasp what Treliving is trying to build in Calgary. It seems to me the plan for this team is to build a strong enough forward group that the Flames can roll three scoring lines—not just two. The TB Lightning last year had eight forwards who scored +35-points, and I think this is the sort of depth that Treliving envisions here. Bennett could very realistically continue to be an important part of seeing that plan through, so I wouldn't count him out yet at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 01:40 PM   #52
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we should wait and see if the new coach isn't a daft fool before giving up on Sam Bennett.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I think we should wait and see if the new coach isn't a daft fool before giving up on Sam Bennett.
I dont think anyone really wants to give up on Sam Bennett. I sure dont. I still think he has all the tools but just hasnt put them together and I really do want to see what he can do outside of the useless 'Gulutzan' system.

But man....if Bennett was a ~70 point centre right now this team would be laughing!

Old 09-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #54
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that Bennett could find a permanent home here as a 3rd line winger, on a team that rolls three scoring lines. However, he hasn't even established himself as a 3rd line winger yet. He's been given a lot of rope the last two seasons, but this season he's going to have to show he's better now than the alternatives, or he'll be gone. Peters doesn't owe Bennett anything, and if he keeps taking penalties without bringing offence, he'll start sitting in the press box. And I expect his camp will request a trade if that happens.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #55
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things could break a lot of different ways for Bennett this season. I could certainly see a change of scenery in his future as one path, but one thing to keep in mind; the Flames certainly improved their forward depth this year but there are still very few forward prospects looking to be on the cusp. Dube is one guy who could shake things up, but I suspect he plays the whole year in the AHL.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #56
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont think anyone really wants to give up on Sam Bennett. I sure dont. I still think he has all the tools but just hasnt put them together and I really do want to see what he can do outside of the useless 'Gulutzan' system.

But man....if Bennett was a ~70 point centre right now this team would be laughing!
Definitely, but if Bennett were a 70 point guy, he would be making $6M+ and we don't sign Neal, and possibly Ryan as well.

In a cap world, it really is a juggling act.

I think everything is fine and, like Textcritic said, there is room for a more successful Bennett in the top 9
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:43 PM   #57
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Definitely, but if Bennett were a 70 point guy, he would be making $6M+ and we don't sign Neal, and possibly Ryan as well.

In a cap world, it really is a juggling act.

I think everything is fine and, like Textcritic said, there is room for a more successful Bennett in the top 9
I am interested to know what people would consider a successful season for Bennett this year. For me personally it is an important consistent, positive contribution to the depth scoring in the middle-six and powerplay, a BIG reduction on offensive-zone penalty infractions, and in the range of 15G/35pts.

Are these projections too optimistic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #58
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am interested to know what people would consider a successful season for Bennett this year. For me personally it is an important consistent, positive contribution to the depth scoring in the middle-six and powerplay, a BIG reduction on offensive-zone penalty infractions, and in the range of 15G/35pts.

That is about exactly what I am looking for. Being on the 3rd line, and likely with little PP time, any more than that is probably asking too much.

I think 40 points would be a very successful season for him.

And it isn't just about points. More consistent play, and fewer dumb penalties - those are the things that are going to buy him the time to grow.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2018, 03:17 PM   #59
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

40 points and less than 40 pims.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #60
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No linemate excuses this year for Bennett.

If he's not playing with talented players, it's because he's on the 4th line after losing out on a top 9 spot to someone else.