Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #2801
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
A huge factor for me is also control of the player. Fox does nothing for Carolina if he goes UFA. Likewise if Ferland goes the ufa route, although that may be less likely based on the cap room Carolina has. Altough you never know with that owner.
Ferland is quite valuable for them. He could return quite a haul at the deadline if they decide to move him.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #2802
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

To me, this trade seems to have worked well for both teams. I’ve loved Hanifin and Lindholm’s contributions to the Flames.

Ferland’s doing really well.

Hamilton is killing it in Carolina on that extremely impressive blue line, which is not surprising at all. It looks like he’s their top RHD 5v5, although he’s second for ice time amongst RH for all situations. His numbers are impressive across board, just as they were in Boston and Calgary.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:42 AM   #2803
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Ferland is quite valuable for them. He could return quite a haul at the deadline if they decide to move him.
While this is true, Calgary traded 3 years of Hamilton and 1 year of Ferland for 6 years of each of Lindholm and Hanafin. And at RFA prices.

Now Hamilton and/or Ferland might be extended, but at UFA prices.

That's asset management to a T.

I really don't care how well Ferland or Hamilton do with Carolina, it doesn't affect what Calgary got in this deal. Same for Fox, who made it very clear he wasn't signing for Calgary.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #2804
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I think over time it'll prove we got the two best players in the deal. Hanifin is already superior to Hamilton in nearly every way outside of his shot
110% BULL.

I’ve grown to like the trade more but this is total bs. I hope Hanifin comes along but he is not superior to Hamilton in almost any facet of the game right now. Total crap.

Just noticed this is the Monahan guy. Makes sense now.
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #2805
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
110% BULL.

I’ve grown to like the trade more but this is total bs. I hope Hanifin comes along but he is not superior to Hamilton in almost any facet of the game right now. Total crap...
Hanifin skates better than Hamilton, so there is at least one facet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #2806
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin right now isn't as good, but I don't think the gap is as big as some make it out to be. I have little doubt that at 25 he'll be better/more balanced than Dougie is now.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #2807
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

And he’s better defensively.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #2808
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Hanifin right now isn't as good, but I don't think the gap is as big as some make it out to be. I have little doubt that at 25 he'll be better/more balanced than Dougie is now.
That's the thing about this trade. Hamilton's value with the Flames was really all about how he drove possession and offence. While Hanifin is presently—and likely always will be—a shadow of Hamilton's scoring prowess he looks MUCH better without the puck and in his own zone. If that is the only tradeoff it's still a big win for Calgary.

Quote:
Old 10-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #2809
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
For sure.

But how likely is that if they're in playoff contention, which seems pretty likely given their start.

Fox can walk
Ferland can walk
Hamilton less than 3 year from UFA
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #2810
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Hamilton is killing it in Carolina on that extremely impressive blue line, which is not surprising at all. It looks like he’s their top RHD 5v5, although he’s second for ice time amongst RH for all situations. His numbers are impressive across board, just as they were in Boston and Calgary.
Hamilton's usage in Carolina is weird to me.

He's playing top pairing minutes with Slavin at ES but he isn't their top PP option for RH shot (Faulk), and he isn't used at all on the PK (Pesce gets most of the RH minutes).

Just seems so rare to have a top pairing d-man that isn't really being utilized heavily on special teams. Guess that is part of Carolina having such a stacked blue line this season though.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #2811
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
To me, this trade seems to have worked well for both teams.
It's definitely not one-sided, but I think it's been going considerably better for Carolina so far... they may have (finally) lost a game last night thanks to Laurent Brossoit of all people standing on his head, but they just put up a hundred shots on goal in back to back road games against playoff teams.

As always, everything depends on goaltending holding up, but whether it was the trade or replacing their coach, they're already a noticeably better team than last year from the net out. And neither answer is particularly great news for the Flames.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #2812
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well they also signed De Haan, drafted Svechnikov and have guys like Necas and Foegele coming through the ranks. You can't just point to this trade when it comes to their early success.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #2813
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed, Ferland and Neal were not connected. I was using Neal as an example of the Flames being willing to pay for an offensive player to counter the narrative others have of ‘needing’ to trade Ferland because he was in line for a big raise. If he gets a big raise it will be because he proved something (+UFA premium)

There were other reasons to trade him - first and foremost for the hockey trade with Carolina (which looks like a homerun) and potentially culture issues (never substantiated). I just don’t see his salary as a big driver.

My other comment about preferring to pay for Ferland vs Neal obviously doesn’t make sense in light of the trade since it’s not clear the trade could have happened without him.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:20 AM   #2814
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's definitely not one-sided, but I think it's been going considerably better for Carolina so far... they may have (finally) lost a game last night thanks to Laurent Brossoit of all people standing on his head, but they just put up a hundred shots on goal in back to back road games against playoff teams.

As always, everything depends on goaltending holding up, but whether it was the trade or replacing their coach, they're already a noticeably better team than last year from the net out. And neither answer is particularly great news for the Flames.
Or goaltending?
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #2815
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

I don't get it. Why would the Flames care at all about how well or poorly the Hurricanes are doing if they are themselves very happy with the outcome of this trade? I see no reason to believe that the Flames are anything but thrilled by the early returns, and probably don't care a lick about how things are going for a team on the other side of the country that they play only twice a season, and will never meet in the playoffs outside of the Stanley Cup Final.

Quote:
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #2816
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Carolina looks for real so far no doubt, but as someone else said that's not all on the trade.

A team that has been called fancy stat darlings for years seemed to be doing a lot right and not getting rewarded for it. Seems like maybe bounces and execution is going their way.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #2817
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to say Carolina is doing it on goaltending. McBackup is 3-0 with .900 save%.

Ferland and Hamilton have worked so far. But Ferland is really streaky - I bet you could find a similar six game performance last year, plus Aho is really on fire.

At the end of the day, I'm still really comfortable with the trade. Hanifin will be fine and Lindholm looks to be taking a step forward.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #2818
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Carolina looks for real so far no doubt, but as someone else said that's not all on the trade.

A team that has been called fancy stat darlings for years seemed to be doing a lot right and not getting rewarded for it. Seems like maybe bounces and execution is going their way.
And goaltending cannot be discounted for how it helps to contribute to other individual players performances. When your goalie cannot stop a beach ball, it puts a tonne of pressure on you and your mates to score. When that pressure is on I believe it is collectively a lot harder for players to play.

Quote:
Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #2819
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Will be interesting to see how the trade looks like at the end of the year. Lots of time for guys to cool down or improve
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #2820
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trades are allowed to benefit both teams and I am happy thenearly returns are working out well for both franchises. I have a soft spot for the Canes for the solid they did for us in 06. The Canes were able to get the best player in the deal right away and a top prospect. They also wanted to add some bite to their lineup and get a one year look at Ferland before deciding if they want to extend him. Players sent out where 25 (3 years left) 26 (one year left) and 20 (2 more years before he could test free agent market). I get why the Canes made the deal.

The Flames wanted to shake up their room and it was clear to me at least that Hamilton was not fitting in. Ferland also while inconsistent has the tools that will get him paid next summer. Fox made it clear he would wait out the Flames and test feee agency so he was bound to be moved at some point. Calgary was able to get 2 players that were needed. First we got a top 6, versatile right shot C/W that has been a steady 2 way player with more offensive upside. Losing Hamilton was creating a hole on the back end so landing a player with the upside of Hanifin is a great add. The Flames gave up a 2015 first to acquire Hamilton initially and were able to recoup that with Hanifin who went 5th overall that year (I would have traded the 1st and 2 2nds to move from 15 to 5 anyway and would have drafted Hanifin in that spot as well).

The key for me in this deal was the contracts Treliving was able to do for both Lindholm and Hanifin. We added a 23 and 21 year old and got both signed for 6 years under $5M each. Hamilton needs likely a 8-9M per deal in 3 seasons and Ferland needs to get paid next summer. The Flames now have cost certainty and 2 players that fit a little better in the age range of our core.

Great deal for both teams but I really love it for the Flames.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post: