Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #2701
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Let’s see how Ferland does over 82 games. There are always a few people on pace for over 100 points after a couple of games

Still love the trade for Calgary.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #2702
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way he goes out of his way to say he didn't respect the people telling him to change, I wonder if he's getting at the rumours surrounding the lockerroom over the years as being a bit to "party-friendly." I mean, it would be hard if you were an intellectual, soft-spoken type and the people telling you to change we're the people mad at you for not going out and getting wasted with the boys.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #2703
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
It is an odd situation.
I think one needs to be careful to be too critical of Hamilton.
It seems to me that he is simply not a typical hockey player. He was blessed with tremendous skill, but in terms of personality type, he isn’t like most players.
Therefore he could struggle to fit in.
And that’s something you see all the time, no matter the organization. Smart, hard working people that flame out because they aren’t a cultural fit.
That phrase is a bit dangerous, as ultimately I think organizations should ask themselves how can they be the type of place where not just a narrow type of person can excel.
Anytime you use talent, because of lack of fit, it isn’t the outcome you want.

But at the same time there are basic commitments team mates (againt in and out of sports) need to be able to make to each other. And if indeed, Dougie was missing team gatherings, and what not – that is problematic.

Ultimately it seems like it was good for everyone to move on. I hope Dougie finds a fit somewhere, but it seems like he’s just not your typical NHLer.
Missing team gatherings is an issue ... the suggestion he couldn't take criticism is an issue if true.

I think someone from TSN did a count on the number of times Giordano went back for the puck in X number of games and came in with a high 80s percentage or something. If true that's an issue too.

Then I just can't get past the fact that it's two organizations that essentially had whispers of the same problems.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #2704
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Athletes on any team know who is good, who is struggling, who deserves to be sent down, who deserves to play up in the lineup, etc...

The need to keep Hamilton's non NHL caliber brother as a "practice player" on the roster is a huge factor in his relationship (or lack thereof) with his teammates that gets overshadowed by the museum narrative.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #2705
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
It is an odd situation.
I think one needs to be careful to be too critical of Hamilton.
It seems to me that he is simply not a typical hockey player. He was blessed with tremendous skill, but in terms of personality type, he isn’t like most players.
Therefore he could struggle to fit in.
And that’s something you see all the time, no matter the organization. Smart, hard working people that flame out because they aren’t a cultural fit.
That phrase is a bit dangerous, as ultimately I think organizations should ask themselves how can they be the type of place where not just a narrow type of person can excel.
Anytime you use talent, because of lack of fit, it isn’t the outcome you want.

But at the same time there are basic commitments team mates (againt in and out of sports) need to be able to make to each other. And if indeed, Dougie was missing team gatherings, and what not – that is problematic.

Ultimately it seems like it was good for everyone to move on. I hope Dougie finds a fit somewhere, but it seems like he’s just not your typical NHLer.
I agree with you to a point. I think this type of situation reflects more negatively on mob mentality in team sports than on Dougie. It's not just hockey. Someone can be a complete over the top aggressive ######bag and still fit in with the guys but someone who wants some time to himself to go to a museum or read a book instead of playing video games or watching bad action movies is a loner and not a team guy.

But you're right, wrong or right, you do have to make an effort to fit in to a certain degree and there are certain situations where you can't opt out. Easy to misread where those lines are if you've unwittingly placed yourself outside the group.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #2706
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole thing with his brother probably didn't help the situation either. A part of the locker room was already feeling like they don't get along that well with Dougie already as is because of the personality clash. I would imagine seeing a teammate that deserved to be in the NHL get sent down because they needed to keep Freddie on the team to keep Dougie happy would have exacerbated the situation.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #2707
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think the issues with taking criticisms is over whether or not he went to Moxie's with guys but about his attitude towards his game. Management doesn't trade a guy over not hanging with the boys but would definitely trade him over whining about deployments, usage and criticisms. If he can't take direction from any one he doesn't respect he's not going to last long.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #2708
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I feel better with Lindholm and Hanafin.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #2709
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully ferland lights it up all year and gets a good deal when he becomes a free agent he has been through a lot and deserves it.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:41 AM   #2710
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
He better hope that he happens to respect dunden as a person.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #2711
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Imagine the coach or GM or a teammate trying to give advice to Dougie, but he shrugs them off because he doesn't "respect [them] as humans"?
Then again, image Dave Cameron trying to give PP advice to Dougie...

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #2712
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Hopefully ferland lights it up all year and gets a good deal when he becomes a free agent he has been through a lot and deserves it.
Yep and if Carolina is concerned about re-signing him. they could get a very nice return for dealing him at the deadline if he is indeed having a big year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #2713
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's an interesting situation surrounding these rumours. I'm curious about all the "dougie bombs" and him goofing around with the guys during media interviews. To me that shows someone fitting in not someone being isolated

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Temporary_User For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #2714
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't say I paid a lot of attention to the exhibition games, but on Saturday I did notice Dougie's absence and was not blown away by Hanifin, that's for sure.

Running a guy out of town because he's got a 3.8 GPA and likes museums, if true, is crap.
Manhattanboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #2715
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

The museum thing is odd, but the real red flag is the suggestion from many that he skipped his exit meeting with Treliving.

Pretty much the nail in the coffin right there.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #2716
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Can't say I paid a lot of attention to the exhibition games, but on Saturday I did notice Dougie's absence and was not blown away by Hanifin, that's for sure.

Running a guy out of town because he's got a 3.8 GPA and likes museums, if true, is crap.
He was not run out of town. As the team's most valuable trade chip (excluding the untouchable trio of Gaudreau, Monahan, and Tkachuk) following a career season, he was the logical piece to trade from an area of organizational strength (defence) to improve on an area of organizational weakness (right wing). The team traded older players with less remaining team control for younger players that fit the age range of their core, while addressing its dire need for right hand shots. It was a hockey trade, pure and simple.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #2717
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
The museum thing is odd, but the real red flag is the suggestion from many that he skipped his exit meeting with Treliving.

Pretty much the nail in the coffin right there.
Missing a private meeting with the GM that all players are expected to attend would be a very unprofessional move, and a bit of a passive-aggressive way to try to get traded.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:28 PM   #2718
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
It's an interesting situation surrounding these rumours. I'm curious about all the "dougie bombs" and him goofing around with the guys during media interviews. To me that shows someone fitting in not someone being isolated
I recall players giving the interview were pretty much rolling their eyes when Dougie did that. I saw that as an example where he was awkward and not fitting in. Fans liked it but I think that was it.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #2719
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Ferland lighting it up in Carolina though. Wonder how he will make out in free agency this summer.
If he can prove he's a consistent threat then he should rack in a decent payday this summer.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #2720
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder how Bennett would be doing in Carolina had we traded him and kept Ferland
Love is offline   Reply With Quote