Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #1481
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
KLM international is great. The Italy flight will probably be a bit tighter seating from what I remember.
I've flown KLM AMS-BCN and AMS-LIS and seats were tighter - I thought it was a 737 for one flight, but I could be wrong. You'll get a snack at the very least, and perhaps a sandwich - I really like flying KLM. (there weren't any TV's on the AMS-LIS plane, I can't recall the other one). I suspect Italy will be similar.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:02 PM   #1482
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, AMS-LIS and AMS-BCN are the flights I took, and AMS-uhh... Berlin. All tighter than the international.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:00 PM   #1483
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schiphol airport is great. It runs with European efficiency and even if you have a tight connection you can zip through. Since you're going EU to EU country you'll breeze through fine. I always find it's worth checking out the airport map ahead of time and getting an idea where the flight typically lands vs where the Italian flight typically takes off from. Understanding the customs procedure and the ins and out of the airport make it a simpler experience especially if tired after your first international flight.

We had one weird experience there with customs where the officer asked both our friends and us how much money we were carrying. When we said 400 euros or whatever he quizzed us further "that isn't a lot of money for three weeks!" We said we had cards too and then he wanted to know what our limit was on our debit cards. He calmed down after that and stamped us. I understand the need to make sure you have enough money to afford to "live" in the country during your stay but the way he asked the question and reaction to our answer was a bit odd.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice

Last edited by FurnaceFace; 07-19-2017 at 02:02 PM.
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:37 PM   #1484
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 hour layover so I'm not worried about missing my connection to Pisa.

I have Euros and a few credit cards.

Its a work trip so hopefully customs wont get excited.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #1485
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
I am taking a KLM flight to Amsterdam - Italy on Saturday.

I have never flown overseas before.

Anything different to expect than a normal 3-4 hour commuter flight in NA ?
KLM? On a flight to AMS once we had waffles, hot towels, tv's with attached video game controllers, good quality meals, blankets & pillows, and great service.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #1486
Guest1

As some of you may know, I'm off to Africa in 2 weeks. After flying to San Fran on Westjet, we fly on an Emirates A380 for 15 hours and 40 minutes (yuk) and then have a 14 hour layover in Dubai (double yuk) and then an 8.5 hour flight on an Emirates 777 to Durban. Seeing as this has turned into an all around flying experience question thread:
a) How do you deal with one of the top ten longest flights in the world? I bought compression socks, a good neck pillow, have a book, ipad, my kids Nintendo DS and melatonin. I can't pre-select an exit row with Emirates.. the boarding agents are the ones that make that call is what I heard?
b)jet lag? I looked at Jet lag rooster and I'm not sure how I can prep my sleep cycles. Do I just set my goal as Dubai because it's only an hour time zone difference from Durban. Do I sleep in Durban on my layover? I get there at 7:30 pm. I heard there are night tours you can do in Dubai with all the connecting flights that go through there.... do I try and stay awake all the way through?
c)Any other hints/tips? I have Nexus, so it will (kind of) help me through the new terminal, but is useless everywhere else, right?
Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #1487
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
I have Nexus, so it will (kind of) help me through the new terminal, but is useless everywhere else, right?
I can't really comment on the other stuff, whenever I fly long haul, I don't have a lot of trouble adjusting...

Nexus on the other hand, helps you skip lines in YYC, but in SFO, you should get TSA pre-check with Emirates which should make things go faster if you have to change terminals (WS could park at Terminal A or G and Emirates fly out of A)

You will also get global entry coming back into the US as well if you're coming back the same way.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #1488
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
KLM? On a flight to AMS once we had waffles, hot towels, tv's with attached video game controllers, good quality meals, blankets & pillows, and great service.
They only had vodka and gin for spirits last summer to Amsterdam AND back.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #1489
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
As some of you may know, I'm off to Africa in 2 weeks. After flying to San Fran on Westjet, we fly on an Emirates A380 for 15 hours and 40 minutes (yuk) and then have a 14 hour layover in Dubai (double yuk) and then an 8.5 hour flight on an Emirates 777 to Durban. Seeing as this has turned into an all around flying experience question thread:
a) How do you deal with one of the top ten longest flights in the world? I bought compression socks, a good neck pillow, have a book, ipad, my kids Nintendo DS and melatonin. I can't pre-select an exit row with Emirates.. the boarding agents are the ones that make that call is what I heard?
b)jet lag? I looked at Jet lag rooster and I'm not sure how I can prep my sleep cycles. Do I just set my goal as Dubai because it's only an hour time zone difference from Durban. Do I sleep in Durban on my layover? I get there at 7:30 pm. I heard there are night tours you can do in Dubai with all the connecting flights that go through there.... do I try and stay awake all the way through?
c)Any other hints/tips? I have Nexus, so it will (kind of) help me through the new terminal, but is useless everywhere else, right?
Fly Emirates Business Class

longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #1490
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That sounds like an awful itinerary. How did you end up with that?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #1491
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Fly Emirates Business Class

I would prefer first class, but it would cost me $22K for just the SAN Fran-Dubai leg. That's four times the cost of what my whole trip costs! ("pay-to-play" sport,
remember?)

Our team manager booked the flight. I think he wanted to break it up a bit instead of go all out for 30+ hours? No clue. I thought they would have booked LHR-JNB-DUR. They booked us the Best Western in Dubai for the overnight.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:55 PM   #1492
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I would prefer first class, but it would cost me $22K for just the SAN Fran-Dubai leg. That's four times the cost of what my whole trip costs! ("pay-to-play" sport,
remember?)

Our team manager booked the flight. I think he wanted to break it up a bit instead of go all out for 30+ hours? No clue. I thought they would have booked LHR-JNB-DUR. They booked us the Best Western in Dubai for the overnight.
Dubai is an interesting place to visit. Lots to see. Great shopping if that's your thing. A night tour would be worthwhile.

It's going to be HOT though.

Never been to Durban.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:54 AM   #1493
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I live in the UAE and fly Emirates all the time. For a while I had my gold status which was fantastic. They definitely have the best rewards program!

Anyway, you seem to have the coping strategies covered. Just make sure you dress warm because it gets cold in there. Bring water, lip balm, maybe even some nasal spray to combat the dry air and I always bring antacid tablets because of the food. Emirates has pretty good food compared to most airlines though.

For choosing seats, they don't really have "exit rows", rather, they have bulkhead rows which have no seats in front of them. Usually those seats go to families with babies so there's room for a basinette. Choose an aisle seat for a long flight so you can get up at your own leisure instead of climbing over others or having to wake them up. You can also use the aisle to stretch your legs out.

I've flown Emirates Business a few times and it's simply awesome. Especially on the A380... the whole upper deck is business (and first) and includes a little bar at the back so you can get up and go hang out and have a few drinks. I've done the 16 hours from DXB to LAX in there and I was actually disappointed when landing time came. I didn't have enough time for everything I wanted to do haha.

But for economy, it's going to suck and just be prepared for that. But no matter how much it sucks during those 15 hours, it will be a distant memory once you land. It's always that way for me. I try to remind myself that over and over. Anyway Emirates entertainment system is the best out there so you can literally watch movies for the whole time. Personally I can't handle that much movie watching. But it's a great option.

Usually the flights aren't full and you'll see the musical chairs game start to get played before you even take off. Watch how the seasoned travelers start to eyeball certain seats and rows.

As for Dubai, a night tour sounds interesting. You should definitely get out and see the city. In the middle of the night it could seem pretty dead though... all the buildings' lights go out before midnight or so. It'll be hot, sure, but not so much at night. it goes down to the low 30's and can be pretty pleasant at night.

Nexus will do nothing for you in Dubai or elsewhere in the Eastern hemisphere. If you're flying business, you'll get to cut all sorts of lines, but it sounds like you won't have that benefit. Fortunately, DXB is pretty organized and efficient, especially the Emirates terminal (Terminal 3).

And he booked the Best Western in Dubai? Best Westerns in the UAE are basically budget hotels. Clearly he's trying to save some money, and understandably so since it's only a few hours. If it's the middle of the night, you might be feeling wide awake so go out exploring. Maybe you'll want the hotel room so you can regain your bearings and shower and brush your teeth.

For the jetlag thing, it depends on a lot of factors and I've tried a lot of different things to avoid it, I have yet to really succeed. One thing's for sure, I feel jetlag 10x worse going back west than I do coming this way. If you're like me, you won't feel too bad on this side. But when you go back home, it'll be brutal. It usually takes me about 10 days to recover from it. I've heard about a day for every hour of time zone differential... that seems to correlate.

Anyway if you have any questions about all that feel free to PM me! I know Dubai and the UAE very well.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:56 AM   #1494
StupidFlanders
Draft Pick

Quote:
A- I've done LAX-SYD / LAX-AKL / YVR-HKG & YYC-LHR with the longest at 15 hours and the shortest being just over 8 hours.
Compression socks are a great idea especially if you're planning on sleeping/resting for any periods of time. Another thing you can so is look up Emirates in flight entertainment for the month that you're flying in and you could even plan out what you'd like to watch before flying. I could have paid extra for a seat request with Qantas for the exit row but but seems each airline has it's own policies.

B- Its slightly different flying east but the best tip I have is to stay awake as long as possible until the usual bedtime at the destination. All my long haul flights have been evening departures and morning arrivals so it's a little tougher flying 15 hours (sleeping about 6 of it) and landing at 7am.
I wouldn't worry about the jetlag too much in Dubai because that 8 hour flight down will most likely still mess with you. Plan your cycles for Durban so whenever you land try to stay up til say 11pm and set an alarm for the morning. Try not to nap until the jetlag has worn off. My average is 2-3 days going but takes 7-10 coming home.
StupidFlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:56 AM   #1495
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When flying to and from the Middle East or Europe, I've always tried to book a flight that lands at night. I won't sleep much on the plane and then pass out as soon as I get to my final destination.

Usually the jet lag is very minimal when I do that.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:46 PM   #1496
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Personally I'd make sure I get an aisle seat. I did a 15.5 hr YYZ-HKG (thanks Aeroplan...) flight and if I didn't have the ability to get up and walk whenever I wanted I would have lost it. Compression socks definitely helped - I had this weird bubble in the knee feeling if I din't.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:37 AM   #1497
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Personally I'd make sure I get an aisle seat. I did a 15.5 hr YYZ-HKG (thanks Aeroplan...) flight and if I didn't have the ability to get up and walk whenever I wanted I would have lost it. Compression socks definitely helped - I had this weird bubble in the knee feeling if I din't.
I always do aisle seats as well for long flights (most flights really). Partly because I'm a little claustrophobic, but mostly for the reasons you listed.

The negative of the aisle seat is sleeping. It's so much easier to sleep when you can lean against the wall where your window is. I can never really get any sleep on planes because whenever I start to pass out, my body feels like it's falling and I wake up in a panic.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:10 PM   #1498
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I can never really get any sleep on planes because whenever I start to pass out, my body feels like it's falling and I wake up in a panic.
Yeah I do that too. I guess it's good to get the heart rate up during those flights!
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #1499
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I always do aisle seats as well for long flights (most flights really). Partly because I'm a little claustrophobic, but mostly for the reasons you listed.

The negative of the aisle seat is sleeping. It's so much easier to sleep when you can lean against the wall where your window is. I can never really get any sleep on planes because whenever I start to pass out, my body feels like it's falling and I wake up in a panic.
I've had the odd time where I fell asleep and my mouth fell open and drool woke me up. More often than not, I start to doze, then my first half-snore wakes me up. Annoying, but also saves the embarrassment of being THAT guy who is snoring up a storm with everyone wishing they could strangle you.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:34 PM   #1500
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

WestJet announces 1x weekly YYC-Belize this coming winter.

Calgary – Belize City eff 03NOV17 1 weekly
WS2216 YYC0915 – 1551BZE 73W 5
WS2217 BZE1645 – 2206YYC 73W 5

They are also dumping a whole bunch of increased capacity on flights from YYC:

• Calgary-Vancouver, from 90 to 97 times weekly (15 times each business day), more than any other carrier.
  • Calgary-Toronto, from 58 to 68 times weekly, (10 times each business day), more than any other carrier.
  • Calgary-Fort McMurray, from four to five times each business day.
  • Calgary-Kelowna, from six to seven times each business day, more than any other carrier.
  • Calgary-Brandon, from 10 to 12 times weekly.
  • Calgary-Grande Prairie, 19 to 26 times weekly.
  • Calgary-Kitchener, from five to seven times weekly.
  • Calgary-Los Angeles, from 11 to 14 times weekly.
  • Calgary-Phoenix, from 19 to 20 times weekly.
  • Calgary-Palm Springs, from 18 to 20 times weekly.
  • Calgary-Cancun, from 14 to 16 times weekly.
  • Calgary-Cabo San Lucas, from seven to eight times weekly.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc