Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #421
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm I've been thinking of selling a mixed crate of legos (mostly old space stuff from the 80's and 90's). Is there a general estimate on how it should be priced, keeping in mind it's all mixed up? Measured by the cubic foot or something?
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #422
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
So how long is it going to take to sort through all of the parts?

Presumably the bags are numbered and correlate to specific parts of the build, but still---there are going to be a lot of gray parts and sorting them all for building is probably going to take a while.
There's a fellow he's built it already. He said it took him around 34 hours. It comes in a lot of sorted bags already (Lego's good for that).

WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:13 PM   #423
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Hmm I've been thinking of selling a mixed crate of legos (mostly old space stuff from the 80's and 90's). Is there a general estimate on how it should be priced, keeping in mind it's all mixed up? Measured by the cubic foot or something?
Lego generally prices out, mixed, around 10c/block.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 04:12 PM   #424
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
How think are the building instructions? My technic mobile crane manual was about an inch thick.
I was curious (I don't intend to build it for a while) so I checked. It's a 500 page book. It's their standard 'big book' size of 16.5in long, 11.75in wide and was 7/8th in thick.

Twice as thick as the Super Star Destroyer book I have.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #425
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
You'll get a better price if you can sort out and sell it in sets. $10 a pound for bulk is a pretty typical price.

PM me. I love the old space stuff.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2017, 04:49 PM   #426
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like DowninFlames mentioned, it is usually best to sell the sets but if it is just bulk blocks price it per pound. My kid could always use some extra Lego if you are ready to sell.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #427
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyIlliterate View Post
So how long is it going to take to sort through all of the parts?

Presumably the bags are numbered and correlate to specific parts of the build, but still---there are going to be a lot of gray parts and sorting them all for building is probably going to take a while.
Thinking more about this question. I have had to hand sort (after cat-involved accidents) before rebuilding both my Imperial Star Destroyer and my Super Star Destroyer (My cats are harder on the Imperial fleet than the Rebel Alliance...).

The ISD has 3104 pieces

The SSD has 3152 pieces.

Both took me between 5 or 6 hours to sort out.

Given the piece difference (The MF has 7541), it'd be about 2 1/2 times that, if I work at my usual sorting pace.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #428
LanceUppercut
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Aliexpress?
I ordered a few sets of these pieces https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5PCS...793465364.html

They just arrived today a month after I ordered them, and they are almost indistinguishable from Lego tracks. It is cheaper too. Thanks!

The curved ones aren't as good as the straight tracks, they don't quite lie flat when put together.

Uh... Lance Uppercut.

Last edited by LanceUppercut; 09-15-2017 at 08:45 PM.
LanceUppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #429
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 12:59 PM   #430
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm working on the Imperial Star Destroyer that my brother got me, and this is one tough/annoying build. It's not difficult...but getting those 4 bloody panels, especially the bottom two, to stay on is proving quite difficult. I've had to resort to "The Kragle", which I've never had to do, and even that is only 'kind of' working.

No wonder I've heard about folks hiring other folks to completely re-design and re-engineer that particular model. What a clusterfata. Way more annoying than it should be.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:01 PM   #431
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Here's a cheeky kind of post (but if you don't ask, you'll never know)

My son and I are big Lego fans, but can never justify spending so much on the bigger sets. I think $200 has been my top out. We like building and don't necessarily need to own it to display, so I've often wondered if there is a place that just rents sets out. Today I actually got around to searching and came across https://www.toytopia.ca/ Their deal (as far as I can tell) is that you pay a monthly subscription and you get one larger set a month. Looking at their sets and they've only really got two sets that we'd be interested in (the old Millennium Falcon and the Minecraft Fortress) so doesn't seem worthwhile to pay $60+ just for that. We're more interested in building the large Creator, Technic, Expert type stuff.

So here's the cheeky part... would anyone here consider renting out Lego sets to me? We could iron out details later via PM, but for example, let's say I borrow your Big Ben set for a week or two and give you $20 and bring it back to you in the same condition I got it without any pieces missing (I'm a neat freak, so can guarantee that) You get some beer money for loaning out stuff that's probably sitting in a box right now doing nothing.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:42 AM   #432
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I'm working on the Imperial Star Destroyer that my brother got me, and this is one tough/annoying build. It's not difficult...but getting those 4 bloody panels, especially the bottom two, to stay on is proving quite difficult. I've had to resort to "The Kragle", which I've never had to do, and even that is only 'kind of' working.

No wonder I've heard about folks hiring other folks to completely re-design and re-engineer that particular model. What a clusterfata. Way more annoying than it should be.
One of the biggest complaints about the Star Destroyer one, not the fun one with the little action figures, but the for real serious one is that its too flimsy. One of the things that Lego talks about is that you can play with your sets. But that Star Destroyer one was more along the lines of a traditional model set and you might as well Kragle it together.

I know its not lego, but this thing is georgeous

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #433
Discoste
Backup Goalie

Exp:

LEGOŽ NASA Apollo Saturn V
Available now (again)

https://shop.lego.com/en-CA/LEGO-NAS...Saturn-V-21309
Discoste is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Discoste For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #434
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Managed to finally get one before they are sold out again!
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #435
Allos
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks Discoste! Got one last night. Sold out this morning LOL!
Allos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:42 PM   #436
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Goddammit, missed it again!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #437
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone tried the Boost or Mindstorms sets? Are they fun and worth the money as an introduction to programming for kids?
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 AM   #438
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got my Falcon today, it's ridiculously heavy.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #439
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished building my ISD. It's the first LEGO set I've built that I'm just going to turn around and take apart again. It's clear to me that it's only going to work if I rebuild it and kragle the entire bottom half of the interior structure, and possibly the entire interior structure. Gravity and kragle is helping hold the top together, and the superstructure on top looks good...but without those two bottom panels, it just looks stupid.

Kinda sad, really. I'd had high hopes for this model. It does look good...but it just won't stay together.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 10-11-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:37 PM   #440
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

On vacation now, so tackling building my Falcon. 4 hours in, and I'm at the end of the second stage. This thing already feels quite solid.

Definitely a much better 'feeling' build (both physically and ethically) than the my last build, the Lepin ISD.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:

Tags
ahhh_my_foot , ifyoubuildittheywillcome , legorules