Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 AM   #5801
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I'm planning on doing a solo overnight bikepacking trip out to powderface trail and back this upcoming weekend. Anyone done anything like that?

Plan is to cycle out to Bragg Creek, get to powderface trail somehow, cycle north on it for a bit and find a spot to camp. Then on Sunday continue north until highway 68 and head back to the trans Canada and head back into Calgary.

Spoiler!
Maybe touch base with Sean and his wife from BikeBike, I think they have done a few of these trips this year.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #5802
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Get a trainer. You don't want to lose any fitness/progress you've made over the summer. It makes getting back on the bike in the spring that much harder.

Dedicating a lot of time to kids is great but you should still take time to do the things you enjoy.

I hear ya, but, I invested my spare cash into a fat bike last year and I just ordered a dropper post - so my wife would hit the roof if I bought a trainer. I likely have to settle for riding 1 or two times per week for the balance of the season, then squeezing in weekend rides on my fattie.

i'll likely have to start joining my wife for mid-week 5 am workouts.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #5803
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

another alternative to flat pedals is getting winter cycling shoes. That way you can still use your clipless pedals.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #5804
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

With the road bike on the trainer, I moved to my cross bike for when I commute. I have the dual platform pedal on it so I have the option of clipping in or riding with normal shoes/boots.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #5805
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know lots of guy ride clipless in the winter, but I would never want to.

Those wolvenhammer boots look really sweet for winter riding, but the cost - yikes!!!!

Under the category of winter riding gear, I saw those heated rechargeable liner gloves on the weekend - $235. They looked sweet, but I have pogies that work fine for me.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #5806
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I moved my road bike to the trainer so I can participate in Zwift Academy.
I may have missed it; but which trainer do you have?
Old 09-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #5807
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I have the Wahoo Kickr Snap. A little pricier than I probably would have spent normally but I wanted to make sure I had a sturdy/heavy trainer.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #5808
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I have the Wahoo Kickr Snap. A little pricier than I probably would have spent normally but I wanted to make sure I had a sturdy/heavy trainer.
worth it? I'm doing a bit of research now and I'm brand new to the world of bike trainers.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 PM   #5809
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's the only smart trainer I've known. I had a CycleOps magneto trainer for a while but it always felt like work and wasn't fun.

I really like the smart trainer for replicating that feeling of being on the road and automatically adding resistance when I'm going up hills on Zwift. It's very subtle in some cases but I get a much better workout than I did at spin classes.

I love commuting to work but at a certain point the fitness gains plateau. You can go out and do hill repeats or sprints but that feels like a chore when I'm just out for ride. If you're looking for improving strength, speed, climbing, etc. a smart trainer is a great way to see gains through focused workouts.

If anyone wants to test out Zwift and the Wahoo smart trainer I'm more than willing to let you come by the house to try it out. Just shoot me a PM and we can set something up.

Some bike shops have them set up for testing as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #5810
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking to swap out my front chainring from a 32t to a 30, possibly a 28. I'm assuming I'll need to take links out of the chain as well?

Haven't done much for maintenance/upgrades, so any help is appreciated.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:30 PM   #5811
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went from 32t to 28oval and took out two links, it works, but in hindsight I should have taken out one.

I'd try the chain first, and if it is sloppy shifting, then take out two links and try it. If it is still sloppy, then take out one link at a time
Old 09-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #5812
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread

Did my first Zwift race tonight. Ended up 7th out of 23 riders in the D group. It was a lot harder than I thought it’d be. Racing through London and up Box Hill twice made for a rough hour and a half on the trainer.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:55 PM   #5813
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice job! Next spring there's no way i am going to be able to keep pace at all with you.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #5814
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I had a CycleOps magneto trainer for a while but it always felt like work and wasn't fun.
Haha I think I bought that one off you.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 04:05 AM   #5815
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Haha I think I bought that one off you.

Yes you did. That thing was essentially brand new. I hope you put many more kms on it than I did.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:11 AM   #5816
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes you did. That thing was essentially brand new. I hope you put many more kms on it than I did.
Lol likely not. The bike I was planning on using didn't work with it, bringing my total kms on it to zero.

However I just picked up a new XC bike so I'm going to see if my hardtail fits on it this winter.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #5817
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Saw some great wildlife on the ride in along the Bow River today.
2 deer, a coyote and a bald eagle!

We commonly see animals in our area but seeing all 3 of these on the commute this morning was a huge bonus.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #5818
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Out of curiosity, do you mind sharing the cost of the Zwift setup? Does it just cater to road? Or MTB as well?
Old 09-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #5819
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Zwift caters to road bikes as all the tracks are on the road but you could use a MTB with it as long as it'll fit on the smart trainer. Most will but I'd suggest getting a slick tire for the back because you'll beat the hell out of a knobby tire on a trainer.

Zwift also introduced running last year so you can use a treadmill with it. Which is kind of fun to see people running along the same routes as you when to ride by. If you have a smart treadmill too and like to switch up your activities this would be great for training.

You can run Zwift through your phone, iPad or computer. I run it through my computer so I have the larger screen but I link the computer to my phone so I can send messages, turn if I want to go a different route or use power ups (30 sec benefits you sometimes get in the game). You can also see the entire list of all the people riding around you and send them "Ride Ons" (like kudos) or see how fast their going, their wattage or their profiles.

Zwift is $10 US/month ($12.73 CAN last month)

These are the three most popular smart trainers for people on Zwift. These prices are from The Bike Shop website so you might be able to find a better deal elsewhere:
  • Wahoo Kickr Snap: $899
  • Tacx Vortex: $699
  • Kurt Kinetic Trainers Rock And Roll: $650

You can spend more if you want to remove the back wheel and connect directly to the bike. It saves your tire and cassette but, in my opinion, isn't worth the extra $600-$1000 for most people. Those trainers run in the $1600 range.

Other expenses that aren't necessary:
  • Heart rate monitor - I use the Wahoo one because I have their trainer and their computer on my bike
  • Fan - this is actually necessary unless your workout room/basement is a cooler
  • Laptop stand - I just use a bar stool but a stand would be nice to bring the laptop up to eye level
  • Workout mat - I put a towel under the bike because I'm a pig and don't want to ruin my basement laminate. A mat might be better.

Last edited by KTrain; 09-27-2017 at 01:56 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #5820
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain
Did my first Zwift race tonight. Ended up 7th out of 23 riders in the D group. It was a lot harder than I thought it’d be. Racing through London and up Box Hill twice made for a rough hour and a half on the trainer.
For your next race, make sure you lie about your weight and height in your profile so your watts/kg ratio goes way up. Instant performance boost.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread