Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-25-2017, 06:26 AM   #101
Phil1111
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Hah. That lasted long.

I wonder at what point there became such an attitude towards games with high amounts of penalties being unbearable to watch?

In 1987-88, teams averaged 5.5 PP's per game. That means in many games teams would have had 7-8-9 or ten PP's.

I'm a little young, but did fans moan about too may PP's back then when it was common to see 6-7 PP's per team?

I really don't mind it. I think more PP's in a game generally means that the better players get more icetime at ES than they would in a game with less special teams.

You always hear coaches talk about how they need to stay out of the box so they can "roll four lines". While I don't mind watching bottom sixers slog away out there, (They have their moments), I'd rather see the top six go at it.
Penalties are a drag until the coach lays down the law with a couple benchings and players change their styles.

Ref's keep your whistles in your mouths.
Phil1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #102
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Perfection.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 07:31 AM   #103
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Proof again that there's a Simpsons quote for everything.
And if there isn't, there's a Seinfeld one.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 08:32 AM   #104
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
@FriedgeHNIC
Further to @JSportsnet report, understand refs told not to worry w/slashes to pants/legs...focus hands/wrists, don't back down on those
When they said they were going to crack down on slashes this was what I thought the intent was. Confused the hell out of me when any and everything was being called.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #105
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

A slash is a slash, is a slash. So essentially it's ok to whack a players legs?

I guess we'll see if it makes a difference at all. I predict by Xmas, we'll be back to the status quo of not knowing what's a penalty is and having the refs manage games based on the player, score and time left in the game.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #106
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

I guess we'll see if it makes a difference at all. I predict by Xmas, we'll be back to the status quo of not knowing what's a penalty is and having the refs manage games based on the player, score and time left in the game.
I'm not going to get hung up on that because slashes to the pants or shin guards generally don't injure players or take away scoring chances. I'm sure they'll still call the two-hander to the back of the leg.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #107
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
I'm not going to get hung up on that because slashes to the pants or shin guards generally don't injure players or take away scoring chances. I'm sure they'll still call the two-hander to the back of the leg.
Plus, since hitting a stick near the ice with your stick is legal, I imagine they take into account that a hit to the legs in that area could just be a miss. Whereas, there's no legit hockey reason to have your stick near the other guy's hands.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #108
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

If you take a swipe at someone's legs/pants, you are generally out of position or behind the play. The move offers zero defence benefit outside causing pain. They should all be called.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheFlamesVan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2017, 12:12 PM   #109
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
If you take a swipe at someone's legs/pants, you are generally out of position or behind the play. The move offers zero defence benefit outside causing pain. They should all be called.
if anything bad happens with it a trip is called anyways
Old 09-25-2017, 12:27 PM   #110
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I yell "hack the bone" literally every time I play hockey.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #111
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah the issue becomes that the first two months there will be a lot of penalties and the media will write articles that the game is unwatchable, blah, blah, blah especially if teams in markets like Toronto get off to slow starts. As the season progresses the officials will ever so slowly start relaxing things and come playoff time will be exactly as you said in bold. Maybe people have short memories but the 2016 playoffs will go down as one of the worst officiated playoffs I have ever seen. Pure trash most nights and I don't have a lot of faith there's enough talent in the ranks to pull this crackdown on slashing off long term. IMO there are serious issues with the officiating in this league. I get that nobody is perfect and officials take abuse in all leagues but the NHL has come really close to CFL quality officiating.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-25-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 06:38 AM   #112
Phil1111
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah the issue becomes that the first two months there will be a lot of penalties and the media will write articles that the game is unwatchable, blah, blah, blah especially if teams in markets like Toronto get off to slow starts. As the season progresses the officials will ever so slowly start relaxing things and come playoff time will be exactly as you said in bold. Maybe people have short memories but the 2016 playoffs will go down as one of the worst officiated playoffs I have ever seen. Pure trash most nights and I don't have a lot of faith there's enough talent in the ranks to pull this crackdown on slashing off long term. IMO there are serious issues with the officiating in this league. I get that nobody is perfect and officials take abuse in all leagues but the NHL has come really close to CFL quality officiating.
Well if last nights game was any indication. Power play goals against may turn Flames games into a night of heavy drinking.
Phil1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:07 AM   #113
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1111 View Post
Well if last nights game was any indication. Power play goals against may turn Flames games into a night of heavy drinking.
Ha ha ha. I would hold off the drinking as I have a feeling the team will do a little better with the top pairings dressed.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:24 AM   #114
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or any of the main PK guys.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #115
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #116
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-adds-penalty-f...lenge-1.868068

So looks like they added a delay of game penalty for failed challenges. Should definitely cut down on the “what the hell” challenges.

Also, no longer allowed timeouts after an icing.

And as mentioned before, crackdown on slashing and face off violations.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:07 PM   #117
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

we are gonna take like ten slashing penalties against McDavid opening night...

New rule/golden boy

I just know it
Old 09-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #118
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-adds-penalty-f...lenge-1.868068

So looks like they added a delay of game penalty for failed challenges. Should definitely cut down on the “what the hell” challenges.

Also, no longer allowed timeouts after an icing.

And as mentioned before, crackdown on slashing and face off violations.
I like the idea of decreasing unnecessary challenges. And offside tends to be less debatable than goaltender interference (I'm not sure anyone really know what goaltender interference is).

However, there are still debatable offsides, particularly when camera angle isn't perfect / obscured, but you can assume one way or another. It will suck to see a debatable call turn into a penalty.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #119
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
I like the idea of decreasing unnecessary challenges. And offside tends to be less debatable than goaltender interference (I'm not sure anyone really know what goaltender interference is).

However, there are still debatable offsides, particularly when camera angle isn't perfect / obscured, but you can assume one way or another. It will suck to see a debatable call turn into a penalty.
They should just let the linesman make the call on the fly and live with it...its not like anyone stops playing. Worst is when the play goes on for 30 seconds and they bring it back after a team has turned over the puck 3 times in their own zone or something.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:23 PM   #120
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They should just let the linesman make the call on the fly and live with it...its not like anyone stops playing. Worst is when the play goes on for 30 seconds and they bring it back after a team has turned over the puck 3 times in their own zone or something.
Yeah. There's got to be a statute of limitations on when an offside is no longer actually contributing to the play
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote