Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #21
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another Audi recommendation.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions and help everyone. I am hoping this week I can get out there and test drive some of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I love the A3, it's one of my favorite cars out there. Sadly, the AWD versions only come in automatic....how lame is that?

If you want an AWD wagon with a manual, the WRX is pretty much the only option you can buy these days. Too bad the interior's are so cheap feeling compared to the competition.

That R is definitely a great option too, it just might be a while to wait for it.
I forgot about the A3. I like that car too. I really like the look of the white ones with the black roof. To be honest I am not too hung up on getting an automatic or manual. Although an automatic seems silly on a car like a WRX. The only advantage for me with getting an automatic is that the girlfriend will be able to drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Call your insurance company and get a quote for coverage. You may suddenly decide not to get a hot hatchback.... Rates are stupid on these types of cars (Depending on your age and history of course).

Which is how I ended up with something else in the Subaru lineup. Good thing I did, I need the extra room now.
Good suggestion. I'll probably phone around some more, but after getting a quote from my insrurance company the WRX is the highest out of all the cars I am looking at.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #23
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
From what I've heard from Lancer Ralliart/Evo owners, the transmissions are flaky as hell. They spend a lot of time in the shop, and Mitsubishi expects 50% of new transmissions to fail. I've never heard a complaint from Subaru owners.
That's good to know and insane if the number of failures are even near that. Like I said in the post above, the only advantage for me with an auto is that the girlfriend can drive it. I suppose I should teach her and I should do it on the Mazda 3 as I doubt something like a WRX is a good car to learn on. Plus I would like to get a hatchback and I can't stand the look of the ralliart sportback.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #24
John Doe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought a Nissan Juke recently. Like some of the other vehicles mentioned, the AWD only comes with an auto transmission. So far so good as the Juke has been a blast to drive, and it comes in well below your $35000 budget.
John Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #25
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
The only advantage for me with getting an automatic is that the girlfriend will be able to drive it.
Or if you're like me and have a girlfriend that is not the best driver to begin with, a stick is great way of making sure you are the only one driving it.

I've tried the the A3 in manual and auto, and there was no comparison....the fun factor was 5x as high. So sure, if you hate fun, get the auto.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #26
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
I bought a Nissan Juke recently. Like some of the other vehicles mentioned, the AWD only comes with an auto transmission. So far so good as the Juke has been a blast to drive, and it comes in well below your $35000 budget.
I have no idea why, but I'm really starting to like the way that thing looks. And from what I hear it actually drives pretty well too.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #27
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

You can get an A4 Avant (wagon) with a manual (unless it changed really recently). You'd have to go used obviously.

Better yet, get an S4 wagon.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #28
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was looking for a car a few months back, I think the newest manual A4 AWD wagon I found was 09. Definitely not available new anymore.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #29
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Lame. At least the DSG has performance/fuel economy advantages over a manual. It's still just not the same.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #30
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I own a 2009 Ralliart. Tranny is fine... no problems at all in 26,000K

Tranny woes are from neutral dropping idiots and people trying to be 1/4 mile heros loading up the tranny to eliminate turbo lag on launch.

Modded with full turbo back UR exhaust Cobb stage II tuned it goes like hell.

In winter with snow tires it makes snow storms fun!

Cons... Mitsu has crap paint jobs (like most new cars) paint chips and scratches very easy.
Recarro's are great and comfy however not very adjustable but not needed IMO

PM me if you want more info.

Cheers
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #31
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think you can't really go too wrong with the WRX or the ralliart. one thing to watch on the newer subaru's is they have a tendency to rust around the glass on the hatch.
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #32
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to the Subaru dealership last night and test drove the Impreza and the WRX.

Impreza
The drive train felt very solid compared to my Mazda. It handled bumps very well and even though the horsepower and torque is close to my Mazda, it felt much more powerful. I think it's the low end torque that makes the difference. Would like to get it on the highway and see how well it passes. Interior was ok. Really didn't like the material the seats were made out of. Otherwise the interior was fine, nothing bad, nothing great. Road and engine noise were close to my Mazda, nothing to brag about there. Solid car all around if I get the higher trim levels.

WRX
It is basically the same car, but with the addition of performance things...different exterior styling, turbo, suspension and brakes. Nicer interior and nicer seats (although this can be matched with the higher trim levels of the Impreza). Ride was a bit harsher, but tighter in turns. Engine and road noise was a bit more than the Impreza, but nothing bad. The power was pretty awesome. I've never driven a turbo car before. Both cars were the same up to 3000rpm, but when the turbo kicks in it feels like a second later you are suddenly going 30kph faster. After owning two cars with horsepower under 150 it's pretty wild driving something with a hundred more. Very solid car and I especially like the aggressive styling that matches the STi of the 11.

I like the pricing of the Impreza as it is less (who wouldn't). But to be honest I thought it was going to be a little gutless as an AWD car thus making the WRX choice a no brainier, but it wasn't. The Impreza would definitely fit the bill, but I do like the WRX better. I would not be disappointed if I owned the WRX, I just don't know if it's worth the extra money. I guess it will depend on what kind of deal I can get and how much I can sell my current car for.

Also the dealership talked lots about low stock of the Impreza and the WRX. Not sure how much they are telling the truth and how much they are pushing a sale.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #33
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have an older impreza and really wish i had the turbo. if it fits in the budget, i'd highly recommend jsut getting the wrx (or ralliart, which ever you prefer). One thing i have to say about the subaru is it does feel a little tinny (see: cheap'ish) but not sure about the new ones.

As far as inventory being low, it is truly the case since the earthquake/tsnunami in japan. pretty much for 2011, what's on the lots is all that there is for the year until. They can probably dealer trade if they don't have a colour and config you want but you might have to wait or yield on an option or two.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #34
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do you wish you had the turbo? Need more power? More fun?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #35
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Why do you wish you had the turbo? Need more power? More fun?
Pretty much. i did most notice the lack of power when passing in the passing lanes on the highway.

the non turbo is definitely usable, gear-head in me just prefers the bigger horsepower.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #36
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I vote for an x-drive 3 series BMW, I have an 08 335xi, the best car I have ever driven. Great in the winter, and solid on the road.

I have driven a 328xi as well and that is nice cheaper compromise, you could pick up a 07 for probably 25k. Maintenance on BMW's is not cheap though, same with an Audi though.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #37
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Like others have mentioned, the Audi Quattro does owns in the winter and all conditions. You cant go wrong with the A4's 2 liters in-line4 turbo and a manual transmission. That's what I have, a 2007 A4 and I roll with all season tires in the winter. May i mention, I live in Springbank where the roads aren't plowed.
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #38
Miniac
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
I vote for an x-drive 3 series BMW, I have an 08 335xi, the best car I have ever driven. Great in the winter, and solid on the road.

I have driven a 328xi as well and that is nice cheaper compromise, you could pick up a 07 for probably 25k. Maintenance on BMW's is not cheap though, same with an Audi though.
That's a great car too driven it and fell in love. If i were to buy a new car I would by a 335xi coupe.
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #39
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post
Audi A4, may have to get a year old one, but can then get the extra CPO warranty, I have an 08 and LOVE mine. Quattro owns in the winter.
This is what I have been thinking of recently...

What's the best way to find a used car, autotrader.ca and kijiji?

Last edited by worth; 10-31-2011 at 09:07 PM.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #40
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniac View Post
I roll with all season tires in the winter.
That'll help you stop...

I've got AWD with winter tires and sometimes I get a little surprised stopping because I didn't realize it was slippery because taking off was no problem at all.

AWD DOES NOT compensate for crappy tires.

[/Winter Tire Facism]

Tags
awd , car , mitsubishi , subaru