Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2018, 12:34 AM   #621
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
Completely agree with this. Which is why I only watched the last half of the period and the ot/shootout. Had it not been the day Olympics I wouldn't have watched it at all. It's improved for sure from previous years. But just not too slow overall for me to get into on tv.

Big ice really compounds the problem. No way Women’s hockey should take place on the big ice.

Into the Sun.
theinfinitejar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theinfinitejar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:34 AM   #622
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Anyone who enjoyed this game should check out an Inferno game. It’s high level hockey and a fun atmosphere! Our city is lucky to have so many elite hockey players representing us.
When you take the Nationalism out of the women’s game, I’m sorry but it’s very boring and a extremely poor caliber of hockey. If I had a daughter I would take her to see some hockey role models, but outside of that there’s no way I’d pay to watch that. I’d much rather go to an AJHL game.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 AM   #623
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A few thoughts:

- This is very disappointing but ultimately we all knew that it would come down to a Canada/ US gold medal game and so it's essentially a coin flip.
- Canada played a sloppy 1st, a great 2nd, a very forgettable 3rd, and a misguided OT. The Americans were overall the better team.
- 4 on 4 on big ice (especially with ((smaller)) women) is terrible.
- That said, 4 on 4 on big ice, you MUST play a possession game and you MUST play your entire bench who are all totally jacked up.
- The shoot-out is a horrible way to decide a hockey game.
- I hope this rivalry will continue for years because it makes for damn good sports TV.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 AM   #624
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
When you take the Nationalism out of the women’s game, I’m sorry but it’s very boring and a extremely poor caliber of hockey. If I had a daughter I would take her to see some hockey role models, but outside of that there’s no way I’d pay to watch that. I’d much rather go to an AJHL game.
Absolutely agree to this. I'd rather watch Midget A hockey to be honest. I'm not even patriotic so I didn't care who won which is why i only watched latter half of it.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:37 AM   #625
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The Canadian zone was an absolute pizzeria in overtime, if I was coaching that game I would have died of shame.

Really hard to watch.

Into the Sun.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:37 AM   #626
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/966575761543987201
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:39 AM   #627
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The Finnish team looks too happy.

What's the saying? You win Bronze and lose Silver.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:40 AM   #628
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisleflamesfan View Post
A few thoughts:

- This is very disappointing but ultimately we all knew that it would come down to a Canada/ US gold medal game and so it's essentially a coin flip.
- Canada played a sloppy 1st, a great 2nd, a very forgettable 3rd, and a misguided OT. The Americans were overall the better team.
- 4 on 4 on big ice (especially with ((smaller)) women) is terrible.
- That said, 4 on 4 on big ice, you MUST play a possession game and you MUST play your entire bench who are all totally jacked up.
- The shoot-out is a horrible way to decide a hockey game.
- I hope this rivalry will continue for years because it makes for damn good sports TV.
I kind of hope it doesn’t continue for years. It’s a bit ridiculous that I know that every four years on or around 21 February It’s pretty much a lock that Canada and the US are going to play for the gold. For years we’ve waited For the other countries to catch up it just hasn’t happened. It’s hard to take this seriously as a winter Olympic event. I’d rather Canada and the US just played a beat of seven series. I didn’t even bother to watch the first game because I knew that the two would meet each other again for the gold.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:41 AM   #629
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah that was some odd player management towards the end there. Typically Canada has just had 3 lines roll through pretty evenly (men and women) but this one was all over the place.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:44 AM   #630
vanisleflamesfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisleflamesfan View Post
Ugh. Terrible time for that to happen.
Quote:
I kind of hope it doesn’t continue for years. It’s a bit ridiculous that I know that every four years on or around 21 February It’s pretty much a lock that Canada and the US are going to play for the gold. For years we’ve waited For the other countries to catch up it just hasn’t happened. It’s hard to take this seriously as a winter Olympic event. I’d rather Canada and the US just played a beat of seven series. I didn’t even bother to watch the first game because I knew that the two would meet each other again for the gold.
Actually, this is a very fair point. It would be nice to see the rest of the hockey world 'catch up' when it comes to women's hockey. I have great hope for the Finns and I think that these games might have a very positive effect on hockey among the Asian nations.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:45 AM   #631
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
I used to be a harsh critic of the women’s game. It used to be hilariously bad hockey. These women now though, and the progression of the game is pretty outstanding over 20 years. Like it’s as dramatic as when you watch one of those old classic 70’s games and compare it to today’s.

I’m actually pretty impressed with the quality. But I’d still never pay to watch it when you can watch an AJHL game with actual hockey rules for 10 bucks.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 12:45 AM   #632
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Just remove it from the Olympics for now. Def don't take it seriously.

As you said, save for nationalism or if you happen to have friends/family in the event.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 AM   #633
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Badly outplayed in the 3rd and OT. The prevent defense once again prevented a win. I put that one on the coach. Bench was too short, players were gassed, had no pressure on the forecheck in the 3rd because we only sent one player.

It's tough when you play 1 meaningful game a year.

I don't think the shootout was the problem though as we were going to lose at some point in overtime
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 AM   #634
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

in lightening the mood around here, Anna Gasser won gold at the women's big air!

if you dont know who she is, google her... particularly images of her
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:48 AM   #635
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I don't think this is sour grapes but I hate international sized ice. It doesn't increase chances like the media would like us to believe...it just spreads everything out and slows down the game.
Yep, North American ice is so much better and the best Olympic hockey ever was played in Vancouver. The big ice results in play being forced to the outside to low scoring areas while the small ice keeps play closer to the net with more hitting, more turnovers, and more scoring chances.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:50 AM   #636
theinfinitejar
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Yep, North American ice is so much better and the best Olympic hockey ever was played in Vancouver. The big ice results in play being forced to the outside to low scoring areas while the small ice keeps play closer to the net with more hitting, more turnovers, and more scoring chances.

Yeah, the 2014 men’s Canada games were the dominant performance I’ve ever seen. But those Team Canada games were not exciting. Just dull hockey.

Into the Sun.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:50 AM   #637
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/966555130093957120
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 AM   #638
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don't think the shootout was the problem though as we were going to lose at some point in overtime
There was a good chance but it wasn't definite. We see teams that get outplayed and win in OT all the time. It just takes one mistake or bounce.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 AM   #639
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I used to be a harsh critic of the women’s game. It used to be hilariously bad hockey. These women now though, and the progression of the game is pretty outstanding over 20 years. Like it’s as dramatic as when you watch one of those old classic 70’s games and compare it to today’s.

I’m actually pretty impressed with the quality. But I’d still never pay to watch it when you can watch an AJHL game with actual hockey rules for 10 bucks.
It may have come a long way, but I don’t agree it’s of a good quality. The Canadians couldn’t even execute an odd-man rush properly once despite having about ten opportunities, and while the US were much better puck movers than Canada, none of them could get a shot through and I’ve seen better Bantam AAA goalies than what they had in their tonight. If Canada had anyone that could have got a shot on net from the point they may have hit double digits their tonight despite being handidly outplayed.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:52 AM   #640
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Excellent tweet

Was also a great game. Not sure what some were (or weren't) watching.
Better team won, unfortunately
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote