Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:53 PM   #4321
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t disagree. I can certainly see the Flames exploring a trade like that this summer.

For some reason I envision a Hamilton-Marner type deal over the summer. The Leafs will absolutely want to add a top blue liner and the Flames could acquire a skilled forward who could rekindle his chemistry with Tkachuk.

The worst part is the blueline is playing no where near their potential. I read an article showing Gio-Dougie were a dominating top pair but the eye test doesn’t show me that. Gio is still elite and Dougie has some games where he is incredible and others where he is awful.

Hamonic has been brutal outside of 2-3 games and has come no where near the cost paid to acquire him
I would be more inclined to trade Brodie over Hamilton, but Brodie's play over the last year and a half is probably known by every team. I truly believe this team will not be able to make the next step without going out and trading for another legit top 6 player. Bennett has stagnated big time and thinking he will have a backlund like development curve may be fools gold. I really don't want to see another season flushed down the toilet, a season where Johnny and Monahan are playing their best ever hockey.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 04:34 AM   #4322
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Posts like this just make me shake my head.

At least do some minimal research before making such a post.

Just because the Coyotes' GM is an analytics guy doesn't automatically mean the Coyotes are gonna have great analytics. If fact, they have among the worst analytics in the NHL and as such, they're predictably at the bottom of the standings.

Gio-Hamilton have been a dominant pairing all season long and all the evidence proves it. There is no evidence to suggest otherwise unless you're just making stuff up, like here.
Like last night, they were lights out.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:16 AM   #4323
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I would be more inclined to trade Brodie over Hamilton, but Brodie's play over the last year and a half is probably known by every team. I truly believe this team will not be able to make the next step without going out and trading for another legit top 6 player. Bennett has stagnated big time and thinking he will have a backlund like development curve may be fools gold. I really don't want to see another season flushed down the toilet, a season where Johnny and Monahan are playing their best ever hockey.
The reason I think Hamilton could be moved is because he brings the most value in a trade. The way Brodie is going I am not sure he would return the asset the Flames would want.

If Gulutzan is still around and his left-right shot system stays in place then moving Brodie opens up a huge hole on the left side. Gio is 35 next year and Kulak sucks. Either they bring in a top 4 LHD or Valimaki/Kylington/Kulak are playing in a top 4 role. At least on the right side Stone could move into the top 4 and Anderson is our most nhl ready D prospect.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:25 AM   #4324
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

last night was the perfect example of how the team plays when the top line can't score. IMO they have to look at bringing in someone to put pucks on the net, and I think Kane would be a perfect fit. The kid can score, hit and I think he's matured a lot recently (and the team would likely help with that aspect). I would put him with Backlund and Tkachuck. I don't know what it would cost to get him or what kind of contract he would be looking for but if he's willing to sign a reasonable contract with the Flames I would give up quite a bit to get him.

And as for everyone's list of core players that they'd never trade, I think that list needs to shorten up. The current team is good but I don't think they're good enough. I'm a lot more open to trading Bennett and Brodie to maximize on their value, I just don't think Bennett is good and I've pretty much given up on him. Brodie is good but seems to be in a funk and he's going to need a new contract soon, I don't think the Flames will keep him unless he takes less than market value plus they have good young prospects that need to make the jump soon.

If they're not going to make a coaching change soon, they need to make a trade to find players that fit the "system" dynamic GG is trying to implement.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:39 AM   #4325
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Poe: I made a similar suggestion and was laughed at but I do agree. If you're keeping the coach, and that's likely, and the player's aren't or can't execute then you have to find players who can. I'm just not sure a big ticket player is coming. Not only because they don't have the assets to do it but also because there isn't room in the top 6.

Bottom 6 is easiest to fix, and most in need of a change. You can bring up players from the Heat and see what you have without doing any damage considering the bottom 6 isn't producing anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #4326
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's room in the top 6, I think there's no room in the top 3 right now but that's about it. I think Kane would be a better fit on the second line and Frolik could move down (especially if Bennett is dealt). If anyone is foolish enough to trade for Stajan, Brouwer or even Versteeg, you make the deal and ship them off.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:39 AM   #4327
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

We don't need to upgrade the top 6, everything has been good there especially Ferland who has developed into a legit PF. I hate to say it but the biggest thing ailing this team is TJ Brodie. He is a good puck mover but he is a nightmare in his own end, especially when pressured. If the problem is the side he is playing we need to bring in a guy who plays LD that is comfortable there. If BT wants to tweak the D if he can I think he should try and hit a home run with a guy he is familiar with, OEL. Offer them Brodie+ and see if there is a deal there. They could use a top end goalie prospect so add Gillies and whatever else it takes within reason. This team would instantly be significantly better.

Gio/Hamilton
OEL/Hamonic
Kulak/Stone

That is drool worthy.

Last edited by dissentowner; 11-29-2017 at 09:04 AM. Reason: I am not awake.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #4328
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
We don't need to upgrade the top 6, everything has been good there especially Ferland who has developed into a legit PF. I hate to say it but the biggest thing ailing this team is TJ Brodie. He is a good puck mover but he is a nightmare in his own end, especially when pressured. If the problem is the side he is playing we need to bring in a guy who plays LD that is comfortable there. If BT wants to tweak the D if he can I think he should try and hit a home run with a guy he is familiar with, OEL. Offer them Brodie+ and see if there is a deal there. They could use a top end goalie prospect so add Gillies and whatever else it takes within reason. This team would instantly be significantly better.

Gio/Brodie
OEL/Hamonic
Kulak/Stone

That is drool worthy.
Hamilton must have played hero and took the bullet for Brodie.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #4329
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trading Hamilton seems crazy to me

Giordano is 34, he realistically might only have another year or two as a top pairing guy, there's not a long history of d men being able to be that horse in their late 30s

So then at that point if you don't have Hamilton, who is a legit number 1 and could be for a decade, suddenly the d goes from a strength to average. Brodie at this point is a number 3/4 and maybe he turns it around and regains the form he had a few years ago but as time passes that becomes less likely

Hamonic is at best a 4

I know there are some young players in the ahl and prospects the team is high in but none of those are sure things, and even if they do pan out 2nd pairing level seems the most likely ceiling

The team does need more scoring help and Hamilton is a huge trade piece, but there's a reason he's a huge trade piece, how often does the team moving out a mid 20s #1 d man end up liking the deal a few years late? I know Boston doesn't....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 09:05 AM   #4330
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Hamilton must have played hero and took the bullet for Brodie.
Yeah, not awake yet and totally messed that up. Thanks for pointing out and fixed.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #4331
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the should try to mix it up a bit.

Try out Giordano - Hamonic, and Brodie - Hamilton.

Gio and Hamonic get teh tough minutes, and the other two get more offensive minutes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #4332
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Trading Hamilton seems crazy to me

Giordano is 34, he realistically might only have another year or two as a top pairing guy, there's not a long history of d men being able to be that horse in their late 30s

So then at that point if you don't have Hamilton, who is a legit number 1 and could be for a decade, suddenly the d goes from a strength to average. Brodie at this point is a number 3/4 and maybe he turns it around and regains the form he had a few years ago but as time passes that becomes less likely

Hamonic is at best a 4

I know there are some young players in the ahl and prospects the team is high in but none of those are sure things, and even if they do pan out 2nd pairing level seems the most likely ceiling

The team does need more scoring help and Hamilton is a huge trade piece, but there's a reason he's a huge trade piece, how often does the team moving out a mid 20s #1 d man end up liking the deal a few years late? I know Boston doesn't....
The Flames absolutely fleeced Boston on that trade so no doubt they regret it.

I don’t believe Dougie is a number 1 guy and not sure he has the potential to get there. He might get there so that’s the risk in trading him.

Flames lack a first in 2018 and if they make the playoffs they do not have a second until 2021. The team also faces a cap ceunch in 2 years where they need to make decisions on Tkachuk, Smith, Ferland, and Bennett. There is not a ton of money there and Brouwer will still have his boat anchor on the team for another year. That is why I don’t see how Evander Kane makes any sense since he is a rental and will cost too Minch to acquire and too much money to retain him.

There are a few pieces that I would have interest if we moved Hamilton. Marner is one of them as he would add another dynamic forward to the top 6. I also would be very interested in moving him for the Brady Tkachuk pick. That move would free up some cap space and add another Tkachuk to our team.

The reason I would consider Hamilton being the guy moved is the strength of the asset and the strength of the right side. I don’t think we have a Dman that would bring back near the return of Dougie.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #4333
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going back to trade rumours for a sec...

Eklund indicating there is some smoke regarding a move between the oilers and the flyers involving rnh and one of the flyers young d.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #4334
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that Dougie has more trade value but IMO he has more value to the team. I honestly think he's the best D on the team (but that's just me).

When talking about Kane, I guess a lot depends on what he's asking for on his next contract. He's getting 5.25 now and I don't think he deserves more than "around" 6. If he's asking for too much then he's not an option. Trading for Marner is a risk because you hope he turns into a skilled player who is worth a lot but then you have to pay him just like you'd have to pay Kane...and there's no guarantee he becomes a star.

As for the cap situation in 2 years, Tkachuck and Ferland are the only ones you need to worry about. I doubt Smith will be around and if he is, he won't even be making the 4 he is now. At this point, I think Bennett will be traded away (again, that's just me) so that opens up some options. Stajan and Versteeg will be off the books and I think BT will either find a way to trade Brouwer or buy him out, he hasn't been afraid to admit he makes mistakes and I think he'll fix that situation soon. Brodie will also need a new contract in a couple of years and I don't think the Flames will be able to keep him anyway, plus they have to make room for some of the prospects.

if they can't get a decent return on Brodie, I still wouldn't trade Hamilton unless the offer is too good to refuse.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #4335
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Gio/Hamilton
OEL/Hamonic
Kulak/Stone

That is drool worthy.
I think Hockey Central At Noon is reading my posts.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #4336
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think Hockey Central At Noon is reading my posts.
what are they saying? I'm at work and can't watch/listen
Old 11-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #4337
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
what are they saying? I'm at work and can't watch/listen
Just suggested Calgary will go after OEL with Brodie+ going the other way. Bennett in the package as well. They are spitballing though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #4338
Knut

Exp:

OEL is not really an upgrade on Brodie Defensively. I am not sure it would be that great of an improvement.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:18 AM   #4339
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

That sort of jives with the Dreger/McKenzie talk of wanting to tweak the d core.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #4340
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
OEL is not really an upgrade on Brodie Defensively. I am not sure it would be that great of an improvement.
Do you watch OEL play? I highly disagree with what you are saying, OEL is a complete stud D man at both ends of the ice.
Closed Thread