Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #2281
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Yeah Iggy never had the puck control/possession skills of Jagr (few do). Iggy is best utilized as a 3rd man in looking for onetimers from the slot. Jagr is the one that feeds those. And we already have Monahan for that.

I want Iggy back for nostalgia and that's it. And it's admittedly not a good reason, but this is sports and emotion plays a factor.
I think Iggy brings an element of toughness that can't be discounted. He fought Maroon one night the. Engellend the next and did great in both scraps. Iggy could survive playing bottom 6 winger minutes, put him on the PP for his shot and have him mix it up with opposing tough guys.

Fans at the Dome always love a good fight but the crowd always had a bigger "pop" when it was Iggy dropping the gloves
Old 08-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #2282
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
No. Many of the people who I've seen wanting Jagr are those who believe this team needs another forward. I'd be fine with Jagr, but I'd also be fine with Iginla, Stafford, (unpopular opinion) Vanek, or even Gionta.
I'd take Vanek. When he's playing well he's a first line forward. When he's bad we can bench him. Serious, not serious lol
Old 08-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #2283
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I think Iggy brings an element of toughness that can't be discounted. He fought Maroon one night the. Engellend the next and did great in both scraps. Iggy could survive playing bottom 6 winger minutes, put him on the PP for his shot and have him mix it up with opposing tough guys.

Fans at the Dome always love a good fight but the crowd always had a bigger "pop" when it was Iggy dropping the gloves
I think if we could unload Brouwer it would make sense to add Iginla. I just don't see both of them fitting in the lineup
Old 08-10-2017, 12:40 PM   #2284
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
I think if we could unload Brouwer it would make sense to add Iginla. I just don't see both of them fitting in the lineup
That is certainly a fair point. Brouwer is absolutely unmovable right now with a full NTC and no desire to leave
Old 08-10-2017, 01:13 PM   #2285
---Hatrick---
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Maybe Brouwer will bounce back this year and can be what we would expect out of Iginla. Wishful hoping
Old 08-10-2017, 01:21 PM   #2286
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Maybe Brouwer just needs a shot in the arm. Iginla can be that guy to do it. Or Brouwer can watch from press box.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #2287
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Maybe Brouwer just needs a shot in the arm. Iginla can be that guy to do it. Or Brouwer can watch from press box.
Stop. Just stop.

Iginla is gone. Its over.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:52 PM   #2288
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or then we just have 2 older, slower, RWs that don't contribute that much anymore in the lineup.

Last Year:

Brouwer: GP-74 G-13 P-25 Corsi%-45%
Iginla: GP-80 G-14 P-27 Corsi% - 49%

I don't get why people want to add another Brouwer into this lineup, if we didn't already have Brouwer then Iginla makes sense. But there is no good reason to bring back Iginla, and "nostalga" doesn't count if it hurts the team on the ice.

At least with Jagr you are getting a guy that still produces, and tends to drive possession still.

Jagr: GP-82 G-16 P-46 Corsi%-55%

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-10-2017 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #2289
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The best thing that could happen to the quality of hockey talk on this message board is Iginla retiring.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #2290
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post
Stop. Just stop.

Iginla is gone. Its over.
Lol at you and all the people who thanked you.

We all know it's likely not going to happen. But this is a better convo than talking about the mighty ducks movies.

So you just stop.. get a grip and try and laugh a little..
The Following User Says Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #2291
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The best thing that could happen to the quality of hockey talk on this message board is Iginla retiring.
"Iginla retires - should he coach or move into management with the Flames?"
TheScorpion
Par
hockey.modern
etc etc
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 03:31 PM   #2292
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Lol at you and all the people who thanked you.

We all know it's likely not going to happen. But this is a better convo than talking about the mighty ducks movies.

So you just stop.. get a grip and try and laugh a little..
Well the idea is painful to some of us. It's like your mom asking you why you don't get back together with your ex-girlfriend. Some of us have put the Iginla era behind us and moved on. Some of us don't have the fondest memories of the latter part of Iginla's time here and wished ownership had allowed Iginla to be traded earlier and the rebuild started with real assets back for him instead of the joke of a trade that Feaster made. Some of us wish the GM at the time had the balls to be intellectually honest when he clearly wasn't. Personally I resent Iginla for the way he handled the trade, the list of 4 which became only PIT. Refusing to be traded to BOS and then signing there the summer after. Tricking our idiot GM into thinking he could actually trade you somewhere other than PIT. That was a very dark time with a borderline incompetent GM at the helm. Luckily for us we sucked right when there was some deep drafts. Some of us are over Iginla completely. When I think of him I don't think of 2004. I think of all the failed attempts to build around him, the complete lack of intellectual honesty about the team as we floundered near the end of his time here, the way his trade went down and the fact we got a late 1st and two nothing prospects. Painful memories. The good times with Iginla are ancient memories now. Iginla is a shell of his former self. Some people would be happy to see him here? I think it would be sad to see him here, being ineffective 5 on 5, struggling to stay in the lineup.

I'm a huge Flames fan. Watched Iginla's entire tenure here. I have zero interest in having him back. I don't think he'd contribute much at all to the on ice product and I think he'd be a huge distraction off the ice. LOL at people like me all you want. We're sick of hearing the pining for him. I wish it would stay in the Iginla destination thread personally.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #2293
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Iggy is coming back??
Old 08-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #2294
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So for me personally, the discussion of a first ballot HHOFer returning to the Flames for his final season is atleast as worthwhile a topic, if not more, than debating:

the organization's 29th best prospect
the Oilers salary cap situation
why Hamilton isn't rated higher by some random website.

I'm not disparaging these topics, It's just summer. There is only so much hockey to talk about.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #2295
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Let's discuss bringing back Iginla and Tanguay, I mean we all know it won't likely happen but hopefully it spreads some laughter throughout this thread and anything to get away from the mighty ducks movie talk and references.

So who plays C with Tanguay and Iginla? Bennett? Janko? Stajan? or Olli Jokinen?

*laughter*

Old 08-10-2017, 03:51 PM   #2296
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
Let's discuss bringing back Iginla and Tanguay, I mean we all know it won't likely happen but hopefully it spreads some laughter throughout this thread and anything to get away from the mighty ducks movie talk and references.

So who plays C with Tanguay and Iginla? Bennett? Janko? Stajan? or Olli Jokinen?

*laughter*
Andrew Cassels.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #2297
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just think, only 29 days until the Young Stars tournament starts!

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #2298
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

It blows my mind that some people are so easily able to reduce Iginla's incredible career to a bad trade and poor management. I, for one, have many incredible memories of this amazing player and his time with the Flames.

If you choose focus on the negatives, have at it, but don't go crapping on those who still have positive feelings about and nostalgia for Iginla. He's a future HOFer for damned good reasons.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #2299
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
"Iginla retires - should he coach or move into management with the Flames?"
TheScorpion
Par
hockey.modern
etc etc
I see my name but I don't recognize why it's there.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:21 PM   #2300
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I see my name but I don't recognize why it's there.
Par makes terrible thread, hockey.modern made terrible threads and, oops well your name must be a mistake, my sincere apologies.
Closed Thread