Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 PM   #61
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just moving out to Cochrane, and it looks like Tek Savvy, Lightspeed and Can Com are all supported, but it one better than the others?

The price is significantly lower than Shaw or Telus.

I worry a little bit about the fact that a Shaw or Telus tech is going to likely come out to do the installation, and it's a coin flip between getting someone that knows they are getting paid the same regardless of the work they are doing, or someone who has drunk too much coolaid.

Out of the three posts above, Can Com got the most 'thanks'. Any meaning to that?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #62
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

This doesn’t really have much to do with the thread but I’m out in Kelowna and my parents have Telus high-speed and they get 250Mbps download and upload. Even my Telus fibre in Calgary is only 175 most days. Both numbers are for wifi on a newish iPad.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #63
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This doesn’t really have much to do with the thread but I’m out in Kelowna and my parents have Telus high-speed and they get 250Mbps download and upload. Even my Telus fibre in Calgary is only 175 most days. Both numbers are for wifi on a newish iPad.
Telus is slowly rolling out 250/250 on fibre
Old 04-15-2018, 11:35 PM   #64
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I'm just moving out to Cochrane, and it looks like Tek Savvy, Lightspeed and Can Com are all supported, but it one better than the others?

The price is significantly lower than Shaw or Telus.

I worry a little bit about the fact that a Shaw or Telus tech is going to likely come out to do the installation, and it's a coin flip between getting someone that knows they are getting paid the same regardless of the work they are doing, or someone who has drunk too much coolaid.

Out of the three posts above, Can Com got the most 'thanks'. Any meaning to that?
I would imagine that you'd get the same quality of Internet service with all of them. Shaw and Telus wholesale their bits to all these companies, and I doubt there is any difference between one another.

My girlfriend recently got on Can Com, and it was a self installation. She got sent a modem in the mail and we did the install ourselves. No tech needed to come out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iceman90 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #65
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just left Shaw due to customer service and trying to get a modem that was faulty replaced. They wanted more tech involvement despite numerous attempts at the same. I paid an early cancellation fee of $80, and signed up with Telus. I was on the original wide open 150 promotion with Shaw, and was currently paying $150 a month with cable.

I opted out of cable with Telus, and was $90 for pure fibre (but on a promo, so $55 for 6 months, $200 bill credit). 3 days after Telus install, and a day after I returned my Shaw equipment I got a call from Shaw retentions. I explained it wasn't cost and I didn't care who I was with but my concerns re: the hardware were not addressed. In the end I got lured back at $62/month for 2 years of 150, $150 bill credit, and refund of my $80 ETF, and they would cancel my telus account with a guarantee of no ETF or it would be covered. Stipulation was that I would get the new modem this time (Arris XB6), and my satisfaction window be extended to 30 days. I figured that could not be beat at all, and now that I've cut cable I need unlimited data which is what the top bandwidth plans have.

Observations in the week I had Telus: Telus wasn't noticeably any different than Shaw in browsing, and in streaming. Ping times have been as low as 6ms with this new shaw modem, and both have similar ramp on downloads (actually, I noticed Telus ramped a bit slower when downloading 1+GB files). I really missed Shaw Open networks, yes Telus has #telus but the coverage is significantly less. Notably, at the Airport when I'm working out of there has Shaw Open and I use it to stream TV and everything. As so far the week back with Shaw has been flawless, no drops, no hiccups. Also of note, the XB6 is a much less capable router than the Hitron was, only 2 LAN ports, no USB. I'm bridged anyhow so its no concern to me, but it might be if its your primary.

I also want to plug my Netgear Orbi Mesh router. That thing is badass (and was purchased after the Shaw dropouts issues which was on the Hitron, when I went to Telus because the Actiontec was brutal for coverage)
Old 04-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #66
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Telus fiber coming to Okotoks this summer. Going to have to give
this a serious look.
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #67
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Im in the process of moving into my new place in Auburn Bay soon, and checking Telus to see if Fibre is available. Unfortunately its not... but its available in single family house down the street. I have a townhouse, so is it normal that its only available to detached homes?

If this is the case, is there much of a noticeable difference from Telus 50 and Shaw 150? From what I hear, Telus seems more stable than Shaw. I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything, but I'll fire up the PS4 from time to time. Use Netflix quite a bit, and stream live TV.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #68
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Telus sucks. Wife and I opted to get the Piktv and have had nothing but problems for the entire 3 weeks we have had it. Had to phone technical support, which is nothing but an extremely aggravating experience top to bottom, at least 5 times. In 3 ####ing weeks.

Telus is like the worst run company I've ever encountered. Hire more people if your crummy equipment doesn't work. Don't leave people on hold for hours on end because you're too cheap to hire enough technical support staff.

My grade for Telus = F-.

Will be going back to get raped by Shaw soon, but at least their stuff (sort of) works.

Why can't any of these companies get this right?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #69
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just waiting for Elon Musk to save us from all these shenanigan Internet providers, and give us what we all need...

Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robotic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #70
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I also want to plug my Netgear Orbi Mesh router. That thing is badass (and was purchased after the Shaw dropouts issues which was on the Hitron, when I went to Telus because the Actiontec was brutal for coverage)
Congrats on the new SHAW terms. That's pretty awesome.

Question about your SHAW dropouts you speak of. Was it the entire Internet dropping out or just your wireless connection from the Hitron? I've been having random wifi drops/connections issues with my wireless home and am almost certain it's the Hitron. I customized the wireless networks (Put my own SSID on them, changed the password, etc.) and am thinking about resetting everything to default to see if that helps.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:51 PM   #71
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Congrats on the new SHAW terms. That's pretty awesome.

Question about your SHAW dropouts you speak of. Was it the entire Internet dropping out or just your wireless connection from the Hitron? I've been having random wifi drops/connections issues with my wireless home and am almost certain it's the Hitron. I customized the wireless networks (Put my own SSID on them, changed the password, etc.) and am thinking about resetting everything to default to see if that helps.
It was the wireless as far as I could tell, I didn't have anything hardwired to it except my printer and sonos. It would drop the SSID completely mid browsing for about 2-3 minutes and then reappear, and would have the "no internet access" for a minute and then be back up so I'd assume it dropped the IP and everything. I had done factory resets, upgrades, everything. TV never dropped out during this time. I anticipate that resetting won't make any difference to you. This has not happened again since using the XB6, but I have only used it bridged so I have no idea how good or bad the wireless is on it.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #72
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
Im in the process of moving into my new place in Auburn Bay soon, and checking Telus to see if Fibre is available. Unfortunately its not... but its available in single family house down the street. I have a townhouse, so is it normal that its only available to detached homes?

If this is the case, is there much of a noticeable difference from Telus 50 and Shaw 150? From what I hear, Telus seems more stable than Shaw. I'm not a hardcore gamer or anything, but I'll fire up the PS4 from time to time. Use Netflix quite a bit, and stream live TV.
Huge difference in speed for downloads, for your day to day browsing and streaming and gaming, likely nothing at all. Keep in mind that you're not only looking at the throughput speeds but your data caps as well. With the 150 plans they are considered "unlimited". For someone who games/streams that is important. I stream all TV (IPTV, Netflix and Prime) so I can blow through caps easy. Telus 50 gets you 450GB. Even if you Xbox you can burn 80 per game downloading if you're buying a few in a month.

Stability, I have noticed in the past couple years no time of day slowdowns or anything of that nature. It runs consistently. Ping on shaw is slower, I've had as low as 7ms, as high as 16ms. Telus is usually in the 3-6ms range.

Aside from my hardware issue with Shaw, I've been really happy with them, and at the current time that hardware issue seems to be resolved. And for comparison, I had 2 years of Telus prior to my 2 years of Shaw, so its not just 1 week I'm using as comparison
Old 04-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #73
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
It was the wireless as far as I could tell, I didn't have anything hardwired to it except my printer and sonos. It would drop the SSID completely mid browsing for about 2-3 minutes and then reappear, and would have the "no internet access" for a minute and then be back up so I'd assume it dropped the IP and everything. I had done factory resets, upgrades, everything. TV never dropped out during this time. I anticipate that resetting won't make any difference to you. This has not happened again since using the XB6, but I have only used it bridged so I have no idea how good or bad the wireless is on it.
Exactly the issues I'm experiencing. My wired connections are fine but the wifi is absolute garbage. Thank-you for this info! I'll put that in my arsenal for when I call up SHAW.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #74
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Exactly the issues I'm experiencing. My wired connections are fine but the wifi is absolute garbage. Thank-you for this info! I'll put that in my arsenal for when I call up SHAW.
And again I can't say enough that you'd be well served to bridge and use a better router overall. I went back to the hitron when my AC1900 didn't have any range advantage, and that was before Mesh was becoming mainstream so I went back to just the Hitron for simplicity. Now with at least 8 different mesh options there's no reason to use anything but (I suppose aside from cost)
Old 04-18-2018, 02:17 PM   #75
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just saw some signs out in my neighborhood today from Shaw, that they were improving the communications in my neighborhood. Not sure what that means, but it has to be great right.
I think the Shaw/Telus thing is 6 of one half dozen of the other sort of thing.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:03 AM   #76
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

FYI for anyone that signed up for the Shaw 150 2 year promotion, you may be getting a call from their inside sales team asking to renew that deal for another 2 years, and it's worth haggling with them. When they called me I said I was thinking of switching to TekSavvy because they offer the same speed for $70/mo instead of $80, and Shaw ended up giving me another 2 year promotion at $68/mo. Easy win for me as now I don't have to go through the hassle of switching providers
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #77
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Telus sucks. Wife and I opted to get the Piktv and have had nothing but problems for the entire 3 weeks we have had it. Had to phone technical support, which is nothing but an extremely aggravating experience top to bottom, at least 5 times. In 3 ####ing weeks.

Telus is like the worst run company I've ever encountered. Hire more people if your crummy equipment doesn't work. Don't leave people on hold for hours on end because you're too cheap to hire enough technical support staff.

My grade for Telus = F-.

Will be going back to get raped by Shaw soon, but at least their stuff (sort of) works.

Why can't any of these companies get this right?
Tell us how you really feel?
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #78
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
FYI for anyone that signed up for the Shaw 150 2 year promotion, you may be getting a call from their inside sales team asking to renew that deal for another 2 years, and it's worth haggling with them. When they called me I said I was thinking of switching to TekSavvy because they offer the same speed for $70/mo instead of $80, and Shaw ended up giving me another 2 year promotion at $68/mo. Easy win for me as now I don't have to go through the hassle of switching providers
Interesting. Did this call come just recently? My 2 years with 150 is up in August, and I have already been rehearsing my "I'm going to shop around" lines in anticipation, but secretly hoping I don't have to actually switch anything.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #79
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 2 years with Shaw expires in July and I was already planning on switching to CanCom in June. I just may get in touch with Shaw if I don't hear from them soon.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #80
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Interesting. Did this call come just recently? My 2 years with 150 is up in August, and I have already been rehearsing my "I'm going to shop around" lines in anticipation, but secretly hoping I don't have to actually switch anything.
They called me on Wednesday. I can't remember when I signed up exactly so I don't know how much lead time they gave me. Might be worth it to call them in July if they don't reach out first
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: