Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #81
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

So apparently the game developers have been made aware and are fixing tourism, which is badly broken in the game.

It also appears services in the game have bad pathing and logic. trash, dead people, and ambulances take strange routes. someone made a mod to try and fix this but apparently it lags the heck out of the game.

CO has a good reputation and history of updating though, so I'm not worried
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #82
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had an issue with dead bodies piling up when I reached 30k. Then I realised I had accidentally put a water sucking machine right beside my water dumping machine and was making the whole city sick. Half the population died before I realised it and half the buildings were eventually abandoned. Once I fixed that the population bounced back pretty quickly. The game is pretty good for that, and doesn't penalise you too much for stupid mistakes.

What types of roads are you guys using. I really only use the highway that is on the original map, and connect the small roads to this highway to build my communities, but this is probably not the most effective way of doing things, especially when the communities become larger. I don't have any freeways running through my cities, and I've heard not to bother with medium size roads because they just create traffic lights and therefore traffic problems.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #83
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
I had an issue with dead bodies piling up when I reached 30k. Then I realised I had accidentally put a water sucking machine right beside my water dumping machine and was making the whole city sick. Half the population died before I realised it and half the buildings were eventually abandoned. Once I fixed that the population bounced back pretty quickly. The game is pretty good for that, and doesn't penalise you too much for stupid mistakes.

What types of roads are you guys using. I really only use the highway that is on the original map, and connect the small roads to this highway to build my communities, but this is probably not the most effective way of doing things, especially when the communities become larger. I don't have any freeways running through my cities, and I've heard not to bother with medium size roads because they just create traffic lights and therefore traffic problems.
I read it you expand too fast you suffer death waves that overwhelm cemeteries and hearses.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #84
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think the other thing is I got rid of all my cemeteries for incinerators, and they don't have as many hearses and they could not keep up at all. I think you need a combination of both.

The other thing I've noticed is you may have lots of capacity at cemeteries or hospitals, but you may still need to put new ones up in neighborhoods to get the coverage.

Like I had 3,000 spots available at the hospital/clinics, but my health was really low. I had to put down a lot more clinics, increasing capacity far beyond what was required, but the health of the citizens skyrocketed into the 90% range.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #85
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I read it you expand too fast you suffer death waves that overwhelm cemeteries and hearses.
I have encountered a few death waves. Basically when new zones are populated they are populated with similarly aged sims. This causes a demographic bubble which will cause a death wave. As long as you have enough cemeteries/incinerators for the steady state case, all you have to do is not panic and wait. They will eventually clear everything up and everything will be fine.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #86
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What I've been doing is creating interchanges from the existing highways and then feed them into traffic circles. Kinda like this: O#O with the "#" being a cloverleaf or something else. As long as I avoid intersections too close to the circle on the 6 lane roads branching off of them, traffic seems to flow pretty good.

I'm only at about 70k population so I can't say if it'll work long term but so far so good.
Old 03-30-2015, 09:50 AM   #87
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I have a city with 95,000 people now and no real traffic issues (for now anyway). My strategy is to build communities in a semi realistic way. Highways feed into a large road that feeds directly into a traffic circle (either large or small, prebuilt or custom built). Large roads through the community are lined with commercial/offices and connect transfer hubs(traffic circles). Branched off those large roads are small 2 lane roads which lead to residential in a modified grid pattern. Keep this grid large to limit intersections and fill in the gaps with culdesacs, etc. for residential.

Using this it limits intersections, keeps easy access for delivery trucks to commercial and provides some nicely curvy roads through residential areas. It also makes servicing areas with transit easy due to the large grid.

For my industrial areas, every area has a cargo train station, easy access to the highway system and a true grid. Trucks are the most difficult thing to keep moving smoothly so make it easy for them and monitor where they are going to help optimize them.

I don't usually use medium roads (4 lane) because you can't one way them and they don't provide much of an advantage over a 6 lane road. I do love how with enough time you can fix any traffic issue in this game.

One other note, have a separate line for your industrial and passenger trains. I had massive train traffic jams that took me quite a while to clear up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #88
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

would love to see your cities if you can post some screenshots.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #89
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I will try to remember to post some tonight. You can definitely see a progression of building of roads as I experimented with different types, scales, configurations etc. in this first city of mine.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:14 AM   #90
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Blue screens are typically caused by a hardware or driver fault. Try going into event viewer and locating the error code from the blue screen. Then, Google it.
after having it for a bit memex called today saying they updated my bios, it was old. all hardware passed inspection. does this sound like a reasonable place to blame my blue screens?
Old 03-30-2015, 11:43 AM   #91
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

My new city project involves making all of my residential areas inescapable for traffic (only one-way roads going in, no way to go out), which makes it impossible for anyone to drive to work, instead everyone walks or uses transit. Even all of my industrial and commercial areas have a very rigid one-way road system, which breaks down like this:

External connections -> Industry -> External connections (imports and exports)
Industry -> Commercial (supply for local sellers)
External Connections -> Residential (necessary for people arriving at their homes the first time).

Eventually, every neighbourhood got its own services, but early on, I could just locate services outside the one way region. Fire trucks and such will make their calls as normal, but then finding no way back to the station, they'll disappear and simply respawn at the station.

My city that uses this is still small, but it seems extremely effective and should be pretty scalable.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #92
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
after having it for a bit memex called today saying they updated my bios, it was old. all hardware passed inspection. does this sound like a reasonable place to blame my blue screens?
Possible, but only if there was a major bug in the bios version you were using. I have noticed that my CPU gets quite hot while playing this game. I am talking up to 100C, which is up there. Do you have a way to monitor your heat?

Someone linked a utility that parses out crash logs earlier in this thread. It's worth giving a shot as well.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 03:05 PM   #93
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Possible, but only if there was a major bug in the bios version you were using. I have noticed that my CPU gets quite hot while playing this game. I am talking up to 100C, which is up there. Do you have a way to monitor your heat?

Someone linked a utility that parses out crash logs earlier in this thread. It's worth giving a shot as well.
Just hooking up my computer back now. Well find out soon if bsod occurs.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:53 PM   #94
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Love me some traffic circles

Spoiler!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #95
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far no crashing. Wahoo!
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #96
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Here is my first city. Currently 95,000 people with lots of room to expand.

Spoiler!

Album with 11 pics linked here.

http://imgur.com/a/kI36F#yKURSB5
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maccalus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 06:35 PM   #97
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

one thing im trying now is to not use the straight or curve tool as much as possible. free form street create nice looking, winding roads
Old 03-31-2015, 08:47 PM   #98
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

anyone know of a traffic flow overlay? when you put one way roads down, it's really hard to tell which way the traffic is flowing. i know there are arrows on the road, but they are a pain in the ass to see. i'd like to view the overall picture with some sort of arrows showing in which direction traffic is going. i can't even set up bus lines properly cause i can't tell what roads go which way!
Old 03-31-2015, 11:03 PM   #99
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
anyone know of a traffic flow overlay? when you put one way roads down, it's really hard to tell which way the traffic is flowing. i know there are arrows on the road, but they are a pain in the ass to see. i'd like to view the overall picture with some sort of arrows showing in which direction traffic is going. i can't even set up bus lines properly cause i can't tell what roads go which way!
this sounds like a great mod idea
Old 04-02-2015, 12:05 AM   #100
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
My new city project involves making all of my residential areas inescapable for traffic (only one-way roads going in, no way to go out), which makes it impossible for anyone to drive to work, instead everyone walks or uses transit. Even all of my industrial and commercial areas have a very rigid one-way road system, which breaks down like this:

External connections -> Industry -> External connections (imports and exports)
Industry -> Commercial (supply for local sellers)
External Connections -> Residential (necessary for people arriving at their homes the first time).
Cool. I have to try this I have so far only made neighbourhoods where the only connection outside is by train (which can handle both freight and people).

Quote:
Eventually, every neighbourhood got its own services, but early on, I could just locate services outside the one way region. Fire trucks and such will make their calls as normal, but then finding no way back to the station, they'll disappear and simply respawn at the station.
Hmm. I wonder if this is actually faster than driving both ways?
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote