Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2018, 04:56 AM   #4761
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, weird comment. They’ve had ‘masterpiece level’ first party games on every single platform. So has Nintendo, from day one in fact.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #4762
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Actually, I think there is some merit to the claim, though there is also a healthy dose of retrospective reimagining as well. Most of PS1/PS2's best titles were third party. And while a game like Gran Turismo had a phenomenally high Metacritic score, can one say Sony's first party titles from back then comes close to Uncharted, TLOU, God of War?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #4763
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even then, you would say that Sony saw a steady increase in quality in first party production before really hitting their stride in the PS3 era, their third console. Microsoft is on their third console and only seems to be struggling more and more as time goes on.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #4764
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly PlayStation has had a strong first party back to the PS1.

Sure the games they make now are more of these large showcases but that has a lot to do with how the industry moved as a whole.

For PS1 you had Twisted Metal, Cool Boarders, Gran Turismo, Crash Bandicoot, Jet Moto, Wipeout, Wild arms, Spyro, PaRappa, Hot Shots Golf, Blasto, MediEvil, Ape Escape, Syphon Filter, and their own sports titles for every pro sport.

Those were all either produced, developed, or published by Sony as exclusives for the PS1. While I like the quality games that Sony puts out I’d kill to have the first party support on a wide variety of games like we got for the PS1 on the PS4.

Microsoft can use the excuse that Sony’s has more time to get it right, but that would just ignore the fact that Sony has been great at this since the PS1 era, and that Microsoft has actually gotten worse since the original XBox

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-22-2018 at 03:57 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:07 AM   #4765
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

As an Xbox supporter, I’d also like to pile on. Over the years, Microsoft has made a habit of acquiring 3rd party studios and then closing them. The development teams of course just pop up on other projects or in other companies with experience and expertise intact. An odd business model.

Minecraft is a notable exception today as that franchise remains stronger than ever, however the brand is so strong that I’m reluctant to include that as a success.

Speaking of business models, the 360 did have a number of exclusive games even from 3rd party studios, but not so much any more. I do wonder if M$ has decided to accept 2nd place for this generation and focus on the next iteration, whenever that might be.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #4766
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are in the market to buy either a Xbox One or Playstation 4 I can't think of a reason not to buy the PS4. I say this as a Xbox One owner. I am now thinking about getting a PS4 because I have missed out on some great games. Between having a decent gaming PC and a PS4 you can play all the best games (outside of Nintendo). Honestly don't know what the advantage is to owning a Xbox One anymore.
Burninator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:25 PM   #4767
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Minecraft is a notable exception today as that franchise remains stronger than ever, however the brand is so strong that I’m reluctant to include that as a success.
The $2.5 billion purchase price is still cray to me but I have no doubt they're close to making their money back. Though my kids still play it all the time, I don't think we've spent any money on the game since before it was acquired by Microsoft. We already had the full game on iOS and PS4/PS3.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:54 AM   #4768
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Times flies. 5 years ago Microsoft announced the Xbone.

And the "PS4 is entering the final stage of its life cycle".

Here comes the Xbtwo and PS5!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:13 AM   #4769
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
If you are in the market to buy either a Xbox One or Playstation 4 I can't think of a reason not to buy the PS4. I say this as a Xbox One owner. I am now thinking about getting a PS4 because I have missed out on some great games. Between having a decent gaming PC and a PS4 you can play all the best games (outside of Nintendo). Honestly don't know what the advantage is to owning a Xbox One anymore.
There really is only one ps4 game i want to play and thats killzone shadow fall havent seen anything else thats really peaked my interest.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:59 AM   #4770
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Times flies. 5 years ago Microsoft announced the Xbone.

And the "PS4 is entering the final stage of its life cycle".

Here comes the Xbtwo and PS5!
Makes sense, IIRC, the last fiscal year was slightly behind the one before it for total sales. Reasonable to think they are just starting on that downward slope.

Also of note: Sony mentioned that overall VR adoption is behind expectations. And while PSVR is selling well, they are adjusting their expectations to something more "reasonable".
Old 05-22-2018, 09:43 AM   #4771
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I won't be buying another console for a long time.

I got tons of miles out of my PS3. I was disappointed with the new "feature" of the PS4 where online play required a subscription.

I've moved into PC gaming a lot more and bought a dandy rig a few years ago.

For the odd console ps4 exclusive that comes out, my ps4 should last another 5+ years I assume (hope). I got a wiiU that I haven't turned on in about 2 years lol. Waiting for Breath of the Wild to come down in price.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:09 AM   #4772
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

You've probably got 2-3 years left on your PS4, actually. Most of the current speculation is that the PS5 will come out in Sony's FY2021, meaning a holiday 2020 release. So other than the usual iterative releases, the big hitters will probably all shift at that point.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #4773
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You've probably got 2-3 years left on your PS4, actually. Most of the current speculation is that the PS5 will come out in Sony's FY2021, meaning a holiday 2020 release. So other than the usual iterative releases, the big hitters will probably all shift at that point.
We'll see. Some studios were still releasing PS3 versions of their games as recently as two years ago (2K games being notable). I noticed that next gen games didn't really start to separate themselves from previous gen until about 2-3 years after PS4's release. I think for someone like me, who has no plans on upgrading to a 4K TV for another 4-5 years, there really isn't that much of a point in upgrading to a PS5 until about year 3 of its life-cycle.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #4774
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Sony dragging out the generation with how hardware and software sales are going.

Microsoft has geared down so much on development and software that I would not be surprised if they try to come out with something as soon as even next year.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #4775
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is it safe to assume the PS5 and any other next generational consoles will not be disc based?
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #4776
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
Is it safe to assume the PS5 and any other next generational consoles will not be disc based?
You would assume wrong. Xbox one is rumoured to have a cloud-only version of their new console but the main consoles will definitely still be disc based. It's still too early to go fully digital for consoles, too many still like owning physical discs. If the PS5 tried to be fully digital it would kill sales.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #4777
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be pretty lame if next gen went digital only. I still prefer to buy discs.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:08 AM   #4778
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What about using physical storage (cartridges) or flash rather than disc? Discs make me think of the 90s
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #4779
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
What about using physical storage (cartridges) or flash rather than disc? Discs make me think of the 90s
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 07:46 AM   #4780
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The problem with cartridges is that they cost more than discs. The problem with discs is that games are increasingly requiring space that is at or beyond their capacity. Also cartridges are faster to load data. The challenge with switching (no pun intended), however, is that you'll have a difficult time convincing consumers to pay us$70/c$90 to cover the extra cost, even though the price of video games is already massively below inflation.

It's already becoming a problem with the current gen, but if the PS5 and XBox213258927342762834 retain physical media as an option, we'll almost certainly end up with the worst of both worlds: physical discs that are nothing more than install media.