Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2022, 08:28 AM   #41
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Not to defend cable even further but there's almost zero bundles where you pay for TV boxes these days. They're all free rentals for the duration of the contract.
There's probably a pretty big difference between Canada and US cable/internet these days.

Carriage fees in the US often add up to over $60-70 depending on market for basic cable channels that all have forced themselves into the lowest tiers.

STB fees, below the line fees, etc are where the cable/tel cos get their margins.

For a while, they tried to keep their standalone internet prices high to dissuade cord cutting, but with margins so tight on the video provider side, they have basically given that up and realized that selling internet for $40 without many variable costs is a lot more profitable. A lot of internet providers have phased out or are phasing out TV now.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:45 AM   #42
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah big differences Canada compared to US.
The mobile monopoly gouges Canadians. TV/home internet is priced pretty well, I think.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:09 AM   #43
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
There’s is also way more content then ever existed with cable , and much more Quality content

I’m just not sure how people think shows get made . For free ? If you don’t want to pay a fee and don’t want commercials /adds and want to share with 3 households , how do you expect these companies to make money?

Netflix alone spent 20 billion on content last year

Seeing an advertisement between shows vs spending 5$ a month seems like a pretty fair tradeoff to me

Curious to hear other viewpoints
I agree with this. Disney, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Apple, HBO, etc are all spending billions on content. This competition more than likely equals a better outcome for consumers. The beauty of these streaming services is if I want to watch the new Obi-Wan show on Disney+, I can subscribe for a month once all the episodes have been released and watch the show, and then unsubscribe. Can you do that with cable? Not likely.

However I think the issue is sports. There still is no clear good way to watch all the sports content without regional restrictions, etc.

MLB TV
Sportsnet Now
TSN Go for World Cup
NFL Red Zone
etc
etc

It becomes extremely costly, and honestly isn't very easy to do.

The other services have no 'regional restriction' so consumers have control over what to watch, when.

I think piracy has probably been severely reduced for shows & movies, but will continue growing for sports.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2022, 09:47 AM   #44
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
These services spend way more on content than they earn in subscriptions. We the consumers have had our entertainment massively subsidized by investors. If those investors lose faith that the streamers will be profitable in the long-term, capital will flee and we’ll see some combination of higher prices and dramatically reduced spending on new programming.
Or Netflix won't spend $200 million producing a movie that should only cost $100 million.

https://screenrant.com/most-expensiv...uch-cost-make/

Red Notice at almost $200 million? Come on.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:27 AM   #45
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
One thing that usually doesn’t get mentioned about cord cutting is how much of a PITA it is when using half a dozen, or more, streaming services.

Cable is just objectively better for sports because I can flip from game to game and channel to channel so much easier than on a streaming service. I also worry way less about which service I’m signed into when I want to switch from hockey to football at intermission.

Because some services are required even with cable, that problem still exists for cable users, just not as much.

But the dedicated streaming services, which have no cable equivalent, like Disney/Amazon/Netflix/apple/paramount, I’m just getting tired of their overpriced services and lack of quality content to justify the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Streaming sports has live rewind/replay on many services. I couldn't imagine watching hockey games anymore where I can't rewind at will and then go back to live viewing when I want to.

You can also have both sports running side by side in different browsers or switch between tabs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

However I think the issue is sports. There still is no clear good way to watch all the sports content without regional restrictions, etc.

MLB TV
Sportsnet Now
TSN Go for World Cup
NFL Red Zone
etc
etc

It becomes extremely costly, and honestly isn't very easy to do.

The other services have no 'regional restriction' so consumers have control over what to watch, when.

I think piracy has probably been severely reduced for shows & movies, but will continue growing for sports.
Streaming sports is my biggest concern and why (right now) I prefer cable to streaming. Regional restrictions and in particular possible country restrictions that limit the ability to stream sports if you don't live in the right area means no watching sports at all. I look with some concern at the possible move to streaming services of college football game. Hasn't happened yet but there is talk as the landscape evolves. I can watch games here on my cable package but if they stream on a service that is not available in Canada then I'm out of luck. No me gusta!
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:08 PM   #46
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The End of Netflix Password Sharing Is Coming

Quote:
Early next year, Netflix will start charging you fees when you share your account.
https://www.cnet.com/culture/enterta...ing-is-coming/
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 09:12 PM   #47
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That sounds more like an option to add password sharing for a charge is coming, more than the end of people giving their password to friends is coming.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 09:19 PM   #48
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It sounds more like cancelling Netflix because it sucks now. The most expensive service with the most restrictive rules with the worst content.

Imagine not being able to watch Netflix while on vacation, or if you’re a snowbird, or when away for work without paying an extra fee. Sounds like such a convenient new option!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2022, 10:29 AM   #49
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it's too bad because the app is great but the content is lacking. But hey I got to watch Blade again for the first time in ages.
Old 10-20-2022, 03:29 PM   #50
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not so quick to write off Netflix. There is a ton of garbage content, and seemingly more everyday. But there's also some great shows/films.

I keep thinking I'm going to move toward a rotating model between Disney, Amazon, Netflix, Apple. Each service has its strengths, but probably only Disney is worth keeping around year round. I'm surprised there's no real incentive by 3/4 of those guys to keep consumers locked up long-term. At least with Prime I get free shipping on all the #### I don't need. But with Lord of the Rings done, even that's not enough to stop me from cancelling my membership for a while
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:16 AM   #51
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

The future of streaming in US seems to be headed toward inclusion with wireless carrier 'bundles'. T-mobile includes 2 screen HD Netflix and AppleTV+ with my monthly wireless bill. I expect both TV content providers get some (small?) cut of regular worth and basically guarantees subscribers. No one is going to drop it when it doesn't cost anything, so less per sub but more volume. Probably
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 10:53 AM   #52
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
The future of streaming in US seems to be headed toward inclusion with wireless carrier 'bundles'. T-mobile includes 2 screen HD Netflix and AppleTV+ with my monthly wireless bill. I expect both TV content providers get some (small?) cut of regular worth and basically guarantees subscribers. No one is going to drop it when it doesn't cost anything, so less per sub but more volume. Probably
I have netflix and Crave attached to my Telus sub already.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #53
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this the right thread to complain about how bad Youtube ads have become?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 02:25 PM   #54
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Is this the right thread to complain about how bad Youtube ads have become?
I don’t see ads because I pay for premium. They just let me know they’re boosting the price by $5 a month. I don’t think I could go back to having to see ads. Being able to listen with the screen off is also a plus.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2022, 02:31 PM   #55
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I don’t see ads because I pay for premium. They just let me know they’re boosting the price by $5 a month. I don’t think I could go back to having to see ads. Being able to listen with the screen off is also a plus.
Also YouTube music replaced Spotify for us since it is included in YT Premium so makes it a fine value for us. I can't imagine going back to YT with ads.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:42 PM   #56
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've had YT Premium for a long time now and yeah it also replaced Spotify for me. No regrets.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 09:06 PM   #57
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Apple is upping prices for Music and TV+ along with Apple One.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/app...ming-1.6627539
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:10 AM   #58
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The price of Apple TV + should be going down. Not up. You can pretty much watch everything you want in a trial.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote