Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2022, 04:40 PM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Default Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

161 minute runtime! Thank god for recliner seats.

Getting decent if unspectacular reviews. Fingers crossed we can get out of this current funk comic book movies are in. Been a run of bad ones recently.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:58 PM   #2
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is supposed to be the end of Phase 4 (or, AKA, Phase Bore...)

Here's hoping for something from Phase 5.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #3
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

This flick has a very tough task in front of it. Boseman's absence is a large shadow to try and get out from under.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:05 PM   #4
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really feels like they just shouldn't have proceeded. They're too locked into these "phases". Agree with the phase 4 opinion though, nothing has really got me except Spider-Man because I'm a groupie and I'll never get bored of seeing Doc Ock and Green Goblin.

Eternals was basically a war crime.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:27 PM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Namor is an aquatic Mayan?

Black Panther = 88
Black Adam = 40
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:36 PM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Namor is an aquatic Mayan?
Yup. I don’t love the look from what we’ve seen so far but Namor is very much about the attitude so hopefully it works out.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:40 PM   #7
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Eternals was basically a war crime.
I fell asleep watching Eternals. I woke up and the damned movie was still on. I don't think I missed anything.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:46 PM   #8
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

This is one I've already spoiled for myself as it doesn't really interest me without Boseman, admittedly the leaked details did intrigue me more though. I was originally just planning to watch it on Disney+ but now I will probably pay the early release when its available at home.

Losing Boseman really sucks, but I do wish this movie the best in his memory. I think it lacks mass appeal though honestly.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #9
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Black Panther was a favorite character of mine when I first started reading them as a kid in the late 70's. I was super stoked to see him finally in the MCU and the first movie was fantastic.

I loved Boseman as he really nailed the character, but I really wish they had just given it some time and then recast. It's such an iconic character, and even though it would have been a big ask to live up to Boseman's version, it would have still represented a fantastic role for other actors to step into. It's not like we haven't had multiple actors play Bond, so why not Black Panther?

At any rate, I've been really disappointed with comic book movies of late. They all seem to be about lot of CGI, explosions, and not much in the way of great storytelling to back it up. I'm a huge comic fan, but even I don't see anything that looks interesting - let alone worth me forking out to see in the theatres.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:35 AM   #10
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's like, have these movies gotten worse? Or are they all in the same house style and I'm generally burn out on them and this entire phase seeming lacks any sort of central thrust. Also why do I care about a phase of movies having a central thrust? This is cinema not Televison. *crawls back to reading "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls and cries at the state of film*
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 08:40 AM   #11
SilverKast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
It's like, have these movies gotten worse? Or are they all in the same house style and I'm generally burn out on them and this entire phase seeming lacks any sort of central thrust. Also why do I care about a phase of movies having a central thrust? This is cinema not Televison. *crawls back to reading "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls and cries at the state of film*
Definitely gotten worse. I had to stop taking my wife with me because she would just fall asleep. Then at the end wake up and realize she didn't really miss much as she has no idea who anyone is anyhow. Even the spectacle of these movies isn't enough to keep a casual movie goer like her engaged or interested.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SilverKast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 08:44 AM   #12
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mmhmm, it's starting to feel like we're heading down the other side of the MCU plateau that was Endgame. Spider-Man was still huge but that's a franchise big enough to carry itself.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 08:53 AM   #13
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, they should have done Endgame and taken a break for a while. I think Marvel/Disney severely underestimate how much the general population cares about B and C string heroes.

The success of the first Guardians I think gave them a false sense that they could do anything.
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:17 AM   #14
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly, they should have done Endgame and taken a break for a while. I think Marvel/Disney severely underestimate how much the general population cares about B and C string heroes.

The success of the first Guardians I think gave them a false sense that they could do anything.
I don’t think caring is the issue. It’s bad movies that’s the issue. The problem is they’ve pumped out dud after dud. The best parts of phase 4 are a big ole “meh” and at worst it’s u watchable trash.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #15
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't think I'm gonna bother seeing this one, no interest.

I was a huge Chadwick Bosman fan, loved him in 42 and Get On Up.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:40 AM   #16
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disney somehow went from making comics cool and mainstream to totally uncool in less than a decade.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 09:49 AM   #17
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Disney somehow went from making comics cool and mainstream to totally uncool in less than a decade.
To who?

Comic book movies still dominate the box office and comic book sales have seen steady increases for the past decade or so.

Neither are showing any signs of letting up. The fact the movies themselves are starting to trend downwards in quality only matters to people who care about such things, which is a minority of moviegoers. To most people all that matters is ‘splosions.
Old 11-09-2022, 09:53 AM   #18
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Asking Disney to take a break and rest their Marvel or Star Wars IP is like asking McDonald's to stop selling Big Macs for a while. It's not going to happen. The drives of capitalism will have them monetize, mass-produce, and keep the quality barely acceptable to maximize returns to shareholders. This is the way.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:31 AM   #19
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
They just tried to do too much too fast. No one cares about a lot of the characters getting movies. Disney was in a bit of a tough spot though, as the existing characters seemed to be running out of steam (Ex: Thor and Black Widow, Dr. Strange, Black Widow, etc..), and the new characters they were introducing just weren't that good.

IMO Disney should have slowed things down and put a lot of effort into a really great Fantastic Four movie. That's probably easier said than done though, as there's been two massive failed attempts at FF.

What Disney has also done a poor job at is building with Phase 4. Phase 1 had individual movies, but they were all building towards Averngers. Phase 2 was meandering (and also criticized), and Phase 3 built towards Infinity War. We do have some building towards Kang, but it's really not focused.

I would have really preferred it if we had building towards Kang that was more focused. They should be much farther ahead now than they were. You could also introduce Dr. Doom along the way, which would build into some kind of Galactus tie in. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't as Dr. Doom likes to play in the background and Galactus' arrival is meant to be relatively sudden.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:54 AM   #20
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
To who?

Comic book movies still dominate the box office and comic book sales have seen steady increases for the past decade or so.

Neither are showing any signs of letting up. The fact the movies themselves are starting to trend downwards in quality only matters to people who care about such things, which is a minority of moviegoers. To most people all that matters is ‘splosions.
to me
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote