Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2022, 08:54 AM   #121
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I finally read the book, and watched the movie as soon as I finished. I had remarkably remained completely spoiler free *YES!* and thus was shocked halfway along by the pacing and knew they wouldn't finish the first book. But, overall it was phenomenal.
The only nitpick I have is that they changed a large part of the galactic political balance by revealing the spice's worth and use to the spacing guild to all participants so early on. It removes a huge amount of the political intrigue and reasoning for the emperor to betray the Atreides. However, I think the movie did a remarkable job at staying abreast with the books otherwise; the visuals were stunning and remarkable, the music was bang on. Kynes being female was a bit strange (females are respected but treated largely like chattel among the fremen...) but the movie was fantastic.

As an other aside, why isn't this book talked about more?!!? I couldn't get into it when I was younger, a bit to heavy and dry at first (lol... like arrakis) but now that ive read it all it has EVERYTHING to be desired in science fiction. What a remarkable story. I am almost nervous to read more in the series as the balance between known/ unknown in this universe is tantalizingly perfect as is. What a book.

Edit: It took me getting covid to read a full fiction book. How pathetic of a life statement is that? new dad problems I guess. I just read the thread and see that people are getting feathers ruffled about book talk. I don't think I spoiled a single thing in my book mention so I am leaving it. What a wonderful book, and a fantastic adaptation on screen. I am beyond excited to see part 2.

Last edited by Monahammer; 07-27-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #122
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
As an other aside, why isn't this book talked about more?!!?
I mean.. it is on or at the top of most "best sci-fi books of all time" lists

For me it's probably #1 depending on how I feel that day.

I highly recommend reading more of the series, it just gets deeper and deeper. I would say I like the 4th book almost as much as the first, it's wild.

Some people stop after the 4th, the 5th and 6th are different.. I didn't used to like them as much but as I reread them I appreciate them too and wish that the series could have been finished.

Also I highly recommend staying away from anything written by his son. The ones I read were terrible.

EDIT: Audiobooks were the solution to "reading" back when I was a new dad.. you can listen to a book while doing almost anything!
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2022, 09:21 AM   #123
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

EDIT: Audiobooks were the solution to "reading" back when I was a new dad.. you can listen to a book while doing almost anything!
Lol this is exactly how I started the book a few weeks ago, but tested positive on Friday and enjoyed steamrolling through the remainder of the book on page while recuperating.
Old 07-27-2022, 09:24 AM   #124
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

"No more terrible disaster could befall your people than for them to fall into the hands of a hero,"

does this quote not grasp us in the wake of Gaudreau's departure? Lol. What a magnificent piece of literature.