Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2021, 01:53 AM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Default Dune (part one spoilers) *no book spoilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
My only big complaint is how they portrayed Jessica. She's supposed to be the one that trained Paul but she comes across as a failing acolyte who can't control her emotions.

I could think of a dozen different things that I may have done different or included in the dialog/plot that would have communicated what's going on, but that's probably a fool's errand. I guess the intent was to have some things happen to reward the book knowledge but done in a way that it's just texture for someone coming in new.

For people who haven't read the books how did the movie feel to you? Was it just a big spectacle but kind of confusing not really understanding where things were going or what's going on? Or did you feel that the movie had a solid understandable plot?

For example:
Does it come across that Paul is afraid of causing/triggering a violent jihad that will consume the empire? Or even that Paul is seeing the future at all?
I felt his mother was portrayed as a big influence on him. It was clear she was training him in the way of her culture and his voice.

It was less clear to me until near the assassination that she wasn’t the Duke’s wife.

I thought the plot was very clear, albeit some details a bit sketchy, like names and titles. Easy to follow and simple enough at its core. They really hammered home the messiah thing so that was easy to pick up in. It’s basically just Avatar in space. That seemed obvious as soon as they explained the spice and the fact the natives didn’t like the spice cultivators.

Definitely knew he could see the future. Not sure about the jihad. He obviously knew the sand people are not friendly to the empire or the spice cultivators and that he was going to have to go native, so to speak. Although the assassination being the catalyst for that was not as clearly foreshadowed. Not saying it should be, I just didn’t immediately pick up on it that the emperor and the evil dudes were in cahoots. I just knew something bad was gonna happen based on all the foreshadowing about the spice planet and the scenes with the bad guys plotting.

I intentionally didn’t read the book because I wanted to see this movie first. I’ve been waiting a while, since I’ve known this movie was in development for quite some time. Having now seen part one, I’m looking forward to getting all the background and detail for the various characters, factions, customs etc that were glossed over in the movie. Or excluded entirely.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-24-2021 at 02:00 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't read the books, and watched the movie last night. There were moments where I thought the scenes were cool and well set and well created, but overall the story lacked originality. It's everything we've seen with superhero movies, plot wise, where the "evil" guy wants power at any cost, and they play that character visibly. Casting wise, Jason Mamoa seemed like he was reading lines and played a character you know was going to die in the way he did, because again, we've seen this before 100 times over. Anyway, aside from the set and visuals, I wasn't impressed with the story or the characters.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some reason I'm reminded of Lawrence of Arabia.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 12:27 PM   #4
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Never read the books and went in knowing nothing. Bored out of my skull. Had it been edited down to 90 minutes to even 105 minutes it would have been great, but just too boring.

Spoiler!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 01:32 PM   #5
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I thought it was near perfection but if I had one complaint, it would be the fact that it was all setup. In the full context of a 2 part movie, I’m sure it’ll be fine but in isolation it was not a movie with many major action sequences. I don’t mind that but the trailers played it up to be much more action oriented.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't mind that it was all setup because it was so entertaining and beautiful to look at.

I will admit I was pretty miffed when I found out they haven't started shooting, or even greenlit, the second movie. That makes me uncomfortable. It's already at 220 worldwide, so it should be ok, but that's not slam dunk territory yet. The movie budget was 160, but who knows what the advertisement budget was. Plus the other Hollywood bull####. Hollywood doesn't seem to be happy if they don't hit 800 million with tent pole movies now.

They should have taken the gamble and shot both parts at the same time and had a tight release window between them. That would have dissuaded a lot of the complaints. But it's Warner Bros and they've pretty clearly demonstrated with their DC movies that they don't know what the #### they're doing.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 01:44 PM   #7
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I didn't mind that it was all setup because it was so entertaining and beautiful to look at.

I will admit I was pretty miffed when I found out they haven't started shooting, or even greenlit, the second movie. That makes me uncomfortable. It's already at 220 worldwide, so it should be ok, but that's not slam dunk territory yet. The movie budget was 160, but who knows what the advertisement budget was. Plus the other Hollywood bull####. Hollywood doesn't seem to be happy if they don't hit 800 million with tent pole movies now.

They should have taken the gamble and shot both parts at the same time and had a tight release window between them. That would have dissuaded a lot of the complaints. But it's Warner Bros and they've pretty clearly demonstrated with their DC movies that they don't know what the #### they're doing.
Man, so much this.

I have to watch it again because I think I missed a lot of what was going on, but what a beautifully filmed movie.

You practically feel like you're in it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:13 PM   #8
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's reported that in WB's original plans, the box office numbers are less important than streaming numbers.

They hope to make Dune something that brings people to HBO Max. There's already a prequel series planned around the Bene Gesserit called Dune: Sisterhood. (Denis Villeneuve might or might not also be involved in that too.)

Obviously if Dune is a surprise box office hit, it's worth their time to make another movie regardless of the streaming numbers, but the expectation for Villeneuve movies is good reviews and award attention but at best mediocre box office success.

Who knows, maybe they're even considering the option of making the movie sequels streaming only.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:32 PM   #9
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well then this will help

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/dun...sign-part-two/
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:11 PM   #10
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
For some reason I'm reminded of Lawrence of Arabia.
Hah, I was literally saying that to my wife yesterday. I don't doubt that he heavily borrowed from the history of WWII to craft this story.

Don't forget everyone, this story predates most modern sci-fi/fantasy, and superhero stories. Most of those that you love are derivative of this story. It's easy to see just how much Lucas stole from this to make Star Wars.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 03:28 PM   #11
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

It’s basically just Avatar in space
…Avatar also took place on a different planet…
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #12
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
…Avatar also took place on a different planet…
Than the spice planet? Yes. Those were not the same planet.
Old 10-24-2021, 03:49 PM   #13
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:

Even if part two gets green lit, the break will be a long one. I wonder what the projected release date would be. Anything further than 2022 is going to be bad for the franchise. They need to keep the anticipation and momentum.
Old 10-24-2021, 05:25 PM   #14
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Than the spice planet? Yes. Those were not the same planet.
I mean you called it Avatar in space, but Avatar was already set in space (in fact I think “Pocahontas in space” was a favorite line back when it came out) so the comparison is a little odd lol.

And obviously there won’t be a sequel releasing in 2022. Even to get it in 2023 it would have to be fast tracked right now.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #15
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i sure hope that all the actors and crew can be mobilized quickly if/when Part 2 is greenlit... Really hoping the numbers skew up to 45 Million...not sure of the HBO Max numbers, but the hope is that WB will make an announcement in the next couple of weeks if they are good

as for timelines, i am assuming they'll be able to film some elements, like desert scenes while they build the practical sets... HBO Max also is supposed to be making a TV show on the Bene Geserit...so maybe some sets are in production?

Ironically, in the book, time does pass, pretty close to when Part One ends I believe...

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 10-24-2021 at 06:18 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #16
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I read a few complaints on Twitter from people who started to zone out at about 90 minutes. Many of these people were watching it at home. This is one of those movies that really benefits from the full immersive experience of a theatre
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:00 PM   #17
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I haven't read the books, and watched the movie last night. There were moments where I thought the scenes were cool and well set and well created, but overall the story lacked originality.
Dune is more about world-building with a classical story line. It's really the followups in Dune Messiah/Children of Dune where you get originality as it explores the aftermath of victory and totalitarian rule by rulers who can see the future.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2021, 07:12 PM   #18
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Go start a book thread if you want to discuss the books. Please don’t spoil them here.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #19
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol they haven't even greenlit the sequel for this goddamn movie yet?

Good lord what a bunch of idiots.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:41 PM   #20
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can sort of understand it though because BR2049 is one of the greatest sci fi movies ever made and had a built-in prequel that's regarded as also one of the greatest sci fi movies ever... and it didn't do well.

I saw this tonight in IMAX, which was the right way to do it for the first time I think. I suspect I'll see it once more in theatres, possibly in 3D DBox just to try that.

I agree with Nik, if you enjoy movies for the way they look and the way they feel, this would tick all the boxes for you. And it should, because that's what Villeneuve is good at, and it's why I love his movies so much, more or less regardless of what the material is. But aside from that, I actually am not sure how this would appeal to people who aren't already fans of the books. There is so much that requires you to just accept that you're being brought into a world that hasn't been fully explained to you. Who are these Bene Gesserit women? What are the rules around space travel? Why is the Emperor willing to team up with these apparent bad guys to take out these apparent good guys? What are these visions Paul's having supposed to show me - is all this going to happen in the next movie? In short, what in the blue hell is going on? I just don't really blame people for zoning out, I guess.

If someone were to make the ideal Dune movie series for me, I would have done it a bit differently - without any book spoilers, I basically would have spent more of the movie world building and character building so that you care more when Leto dies and understand more about the politics going on and some more Fremen culture. Plenty more time spent with Harkonnen and De Vries, who really didn't have much to do in this movie. And a longer lead-up on the visions. I would have had the film end with the big invasion scene at Arrakeen. Not sure if I would have saved the poison tooth scene for the sequel or done it but left it unclear whether the Baron survives.

... But that's for me. I get why they had to move things along a bit faster. I do think the ending wound up a bit anticlimactic where they cut it off, though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: