Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2015, 12:36 PM   #101
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
it always becomes a storage mess is some random closest that barely ends up closing.
lol, yep. I can very much relate to this part.

I think perhaps the best idea is a Roomba or iRobot. Something that works on its own during the night, every night, would probably do just fine keeping carpets clean.

Plus having a robot vacuum is just cool.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:09 PM   #102
YoungGuns
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I love them. Have had one for 6 years. Have another for a business.
YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:37 PM   #103
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Does anybody have any experience with the handheld animal DC34? I was trying to buy one at the Target close out but it didn't work out.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #104
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

We finally caved in and bought a Dyson today. I give you the DC77 Animal.
Spoilered for size.
Spoiler!

This is the first day so I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm but holy ####, this thing is a whole different level. We had a Eureka upright that my wife never much liked using. Man, am I happy I listened to her.

We were stunned with how much dust and hair and dirt the Dyson picked up on our area rugs. This is after we vacuumed this morning! Holy hell. I feel like a bad parent right now.

Anyway, if you don't mind the upfront cost ($799.00), I highly recommend.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:20 PM   #105
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another great thing with Dyson:

My roller connection servered/broke after 4-5 years. Called the rep to ask how to order a new piece. Had never registered my warranty (Was parents vacuum and they gave to me after a few years)

Rep said they shouldn't break and sent out the whole new bottom for free. Arrived next day.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #106
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am on my second Dyson. Never again. When it craps out, I will replace with Miele.

It performs ok, but I find I have to clean it a lot. I'd rather deal with a bag.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #107
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

There is nothing to clean on the latest model. No filters. None. It is glorious.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #108
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife just picked up a Shark. We were borrowing my sisters Dyson when she was moving while on vacation. We got the shark just after and it's way better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2017, 12:20 AM   #109
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
We were stunned with how much dust and hair and dirt the Dyson picked up on our area rugs. This is after we vacuumed this morning! Holy hell. I feel like a bad parent right now.
This is totally normal.

I worked selling vacuums for a couple of months when I was 18.

As part of the demonstration you would vacuum a piece of the customers rug, and then you would run the product vacuum over it afterwards with a viewing window installed on it.

Well you would still be picking up tonnes of dirt and dust. Then they wanted to comment on how the customers vacuum was a poor product and the product we were selling was so much better.

But the reality is that this will happen with every vacuum. There isn't anything on the market that will remove all the dust and dirt from carpets.

They are just dust collectors and there isn't anything you can do about it.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 12:37 AM   #110
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why anyone still has carpets is what amazes me
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #111
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Why anyone still has carpets is what amazes me
Have you forgot about the most destructive force known to mankind? Children? A nice hardwood or cork floor would get destroyed in two years or less from my boys which is why I had carpet installed in the downstairs living room and cork in other areas like my man cave. With carpet we just vacuum and clean it every 6 months and it looks decent. I just don't feel like spending time worrying about all the scratches and damage they would do to a wood floor.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 10:21 AM   #112
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Have you forgot about the most destructive force known to mankind? Children? A nice hardwood or cork floor would get destroyed in two years or less from my boys which is why I had carpet installed in the downstairs living room and cork in other areas like my man cave.
Well then, perhaps why anyone still has children is the better question
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #113
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

We had children to do chores like vacuum the carpets.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #114
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Have you forgot about the most destructive force known to mankind? Children? A nice hardwood or cork floor would get destroyed in two years or less from my boys which is why I had carpet installed in the downstairs living room and cork in other areas like my man cave. With carpet we just vacuum and clean it every 6 months and it looks decent. I just don't feel like spending time worrying about all the scratches and damage they would do to a wood floor.
You only vacuum every six months?
Mother would be rolling in her grave.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #115
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

What happened to Rerun???
Old 09-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #116
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
You only vacuum every six months?
Mother would be rolling in her grave.
Of course we vacuum regularly. We clean the rugs every six months because we have a dog as well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #117
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
What happened to Rerun???
Still trying to get into a locked church while on holiday.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #118
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to have carpet or rugs and curtains if you have a high end stereo, absorbs echoes!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 PM   #119
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used my Dyson animal canister on the weekend. It's pretty good. Easy to keep clean. Picked up enough cat hair to make a second cat, the pet grooming tool actually works pretty well on combing fur out of stairs (it does not work on my cat because my cat will allow no such thing). But it's a better hard floor vacuum than it is on the carpets. Just doesn't agitate the fibers enough to get a deep clean.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #120
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
I am on my second Dyson. Never again. When it craps out, I will replace with Miele.

It performs ok, but I find I have to clean it a lot. I'd rather deal with a bag.
The Miele cannister vacuum is pretty good. It's a good brand to acquire. I use this regularly at my parents/brother's place. At $400 ish for the C3 canister at Costco, it's a good deal. No cool attachments etc like the Dyson, but you generally don't need those attachments. Though... the C3 does not have a carpet agitator like the Dyson.

I own the Dyson ball animal. Works great and far superior to most brands like Hoover, Dirt Devil, Bissell etc. (Well, almost anything below $350) It looks pretty modern and cool, but it's definitely not the best vacuum out there. There's also been a certain amount of competition from Miele and Shark in terms of performance lately. I really don't think it's unfair to say that Dyson vacuums' abilities are a good baseline level of cleaning to strive for for any household though.

Personally, if I could do it all over, rather than spend $550 on the latest stand up Dyson ball, I'd probably buy a Miele C3 for carpet and floor and a Dyson DC34 (or equivalent with agitator) cordless hand held for stairs for about the same price. I don't really regret getting a Dyson, but would love the extra flexibility in having something light for the stairs. I believe it would cost me $400 + $200 + GST to acquire both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I used my Dyson animal canister on the weekend. It's pretty good. Easy to keep clean. Picked up enough cat hair to make a second cat, the pet grooming tool actually works pretty well on combing fur out of stairs (it does not work on my cat because my cat will allow no such thing). But it's a better hard floor vacuum than it is on the carpets. Just doesn't agitate the fibers enough to get a deep clean.
Legitimately curious to know what brand you suggest and also whether you think it's even a good idea to get a vacuum with more agitation. My experience with higher agitation vacuum heads = damage to carpet.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote