Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #81
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
Dyson's are mediocre. It's all about trendy marketing hype, similar to the previous references to Apple. I installed a central vac and gave the dyson away. There's no replacement for displacement.
I've never been happier with a "mediocre" vacuum before. It does such a good job, and it's very easy to keep clean. No complaints from me!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #82
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

8 years later and it's still the best damn mediocre vacuum I've ever had....

I'm such a slave to the marketing hype!
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #83
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

We are looking at a Dyson and wondering which model people would choose?

DC 29 MULIT FLOOR UPRIGHT

or

DYSON DC42 MULTI FLOOR

No plans on large animals in the near future, so I think this is pretty much it!

Thank you for any tips!
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #84
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I am back and forth between this and a central vac right now. We got the central roughed in, so is it just a matter of buying the unit and installing it?

I am leaning towards the Dyson just because of what I have heard, my wife is leaning towards the central vac. Maybe I should show her this thread.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #85
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Central vac is awful, hate them.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2015, 11:19 AM   #86
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Agreed.

We have a Dyson, and one thing I will say, is be careful. They are sometimes too strong and can damage a carpet.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:43 AM   #87
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are other vacuums out there that basically copied the fancy no filter cyclone design from Dyson, for a fraction of the price.

I have one of those vacuums, and it's just as good as my moms dyson.

I agree with sentiments that Dyson is the Apple of vacuums. Definitely good stuff, but not worth the price since competitors have quickly jumped onboard with comparable products.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #88
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

We decided to go with a Dyson over central, I have a DC66 Animal and a V6 slim, both are good but I wouldn't recommend the V6 as your only vacuum. I ended up randomly finding it (DC66) at Canadian Tire for $200 off a couple years ago, so I couldn't pass it up.

I think Dyson has a 30 day trial period, so if you are on the fence you could always try it and see if you like it first.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #89
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

What, no one's tried selling you on the wonder machine that is the Rainbow? It is the vacuum extraordinaire! It vacuums, it cleans your air, it cures asthma, cancer, turns water into wine, and cooks you dinner, in the blink of an eye.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #90
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

My girlfriends Aunt works at Home Sense and was able to buy us one for a fraction of what they go for. That was plus #1. Plus#2 is the do indeed seem to be amazing. First day we just vacuumed about 20 sq/ft in front of our tv to see how well it works, I was completely blown away with the amount of crap it pulled out of the carpets. I couldn't believe how much was in the canister for such a small area.

Someone asked about shag carpet earlier. We have newer modern shag (not quite as long as the older shag) and it had no issued with that at all.

Also agree with others calling it the Apple of vacuums. Well made for sure and not sure I'd want to pay full price for it.

We took it over to my parents place as they wanted to see it. They have a central vac and the Dyson didn't pick up much so it would seem that the central vacs are pretty good too.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:58 PM   #91
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
While I don't hate my central vac, if I had to do it over, I probably would have not got it, and just stuck with a normal vacuum. The long hose is a pain the ass, and there's always that one corner that you just can't reach. It's not as convenient as I imagined it.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:30 PM   #92
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

as a central owner I've pondered the Dyson question as well. the central vac hose is indeed annoying but I do like the reduced noise having the turbine in the garage and it does seem to pick up a huge amount of dust.

if I did have a Dyson though, would I go upright or canister? which one will get difficult terrain such as stairs and under beds easier? those are the kinds of things that the central does great right now and would hate to give up.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #93
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I imagine canister would be better for stairs. I think it would be cumbersome using an upright on stairs even with the pullout attachment. I have one of the older DCXX Animals uprights and when I use the pullout attachment it really isn't too hard to pull on the hose just a little too much and tip the vacuum over.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #94
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neither would do well on stairs IMO. They come with a handy attachment (or at least mine did) that acts as a mini beater bar that seems to do the job just fine.

Upright wouldn't work under the bed but they are so intelligently made that the "wand" that's buried in the detachable hose would likely do pretty good job.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #95
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Man, I love central vac. Can't believe all the hate they're getting here.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:03 AM   #96
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We have central vac in our house. Used it for 2 months when we moved in and then realized how annoying it was to carry around a monstrous hose.

Then we bought a DC59 from Dyson.

Absolutely love it. Light and powerful. It cleans up the hair from a yellow lab instantly.

I can do each floor of our house (800 sq ft per floor) in one charge.

http://www.dyson.com/vacuum-cleaners/cordless/dc59.aspx

There might be cheaper vacs that are just as useful, but I'd still highly recommend it.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #97
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
We have central vac in our house. Used it for 2 months when we moved in and then realized how annoying it was to carry around a monstrous hose.

Absolutely love it. Light and powerful. It cleans up the hair from a yellow lab instantly.

There might be cheaper vacs that are just as useful, but I'd still highly recommend it.
That thing is pretty cool.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #98
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Man, I love central vac. Can't believe all the hate they're getting here.
Vacuums in general are brutal, big clunky messes of machines but central ones are far worse. Dragging around that hose and all the crap is a pain in the rear from floor to floor and it always becomes a storage mess is some random closest that barely ends up closing.

My current vacuum an upright one that I've had for a decade now, getting long in the tooth but it performs well. Annoying to drag up and down the stairs but so much better than that awful central vac cord.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #99
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post

Wow interesting.. we borrowed my sister in laws Electrolux Ergorapido while we were moving in and deciding which vacuum we want, and that Dyson just blew it out of the water. I guess the difference in the price, the EE is about 100 bucks from Costco with a Costco style life time warranty. This EE also dies after about 20 minutes. The thing is I am guessing the Dyson is 400-600 with a 5 year warranty? Unless we could find it at Costco..

Do you use this as your main vacuum?

edit: man I know I am getting old and lame when I him and haw this much over a vacuum.. it used to be which spoiler I was going to put on my mazda 626!!!

Last edited by GreenLantern; 09-10-2015 at 08:42 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:03 AM   #100
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yes it is the only vacuum we have in the house now.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote