Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #5501
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'm jealous of people who live in Calgary Confederation because they have a Rhino party candidate to vote for! Really, they should win in a landslide, but people are idiots.
Finally, a candidate I can support! Thanks for the info.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #5502
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Swing state? What?
So to speak. In other words, competitive electorally - not a foregone conclusion.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #5503
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
So to speak. In other words, competitive electorally - not a foregone conclusion.
Yeah I know. I just hate Americanisms making their way into our political lexicon.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #5504
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Indeed - always be a swing state to some degree. I fear by this time next year we will be taken for granted by one party, and treated in an openly hostile manner by (maybe all the other parties) to gain regional support elsewhere. Bad situation.
Agreed. But I think it's a bit of "reap what you sow" from the Liberal party given its history with Alberta over the years and even electing a Trudeau as leader.

However, I feel the Liberals did try to make the type of compromises that 'we' would like to see if our 'team' isn't calling the shots. Sure, they campaigned on and denied Northern Gateway and put in the Carbon Tax but they did approve Trans Mountain. The approval for Trans Mountain was really no-strings attached. If the NEB, operating mostly under Harper's government during the application process, had properly looked at the project scope and Canada, again mostly under Harper, had properly consulted, then the appeal is squashed and Trans Mountain is ago. Instead it's denied on the basis of consultation, most of which happened prior to the 2015 election, being inadequate. Certainly any informed individual can't blame Trudeau's Liberals for the FCA ruling.

And yet you still have most of Alberta blaming the Liberals for the FCA decision, and even after they have approved it a second time, you still have many many Albertans questioning if the Liberals "really" approved it and some just straight up thinking the Liberals have not nor would ever approve a pipeline.

So if I was the Liberal party looking to get elected, why would I cater at all to Alberta? Even if you approve a pipeline they won't believe it, they won't vote for you, they see you as an enemy, so #### it, get votes elsewhere even if it means ignoring Alberta interests in favour of other provinces. Of course this then leads to the Liberals not catering to Alberta, and Albertans rightfully seeing them as enemies making a vicious cycle.

Of course I take no issue with those who vote against the Liberals due to their overall policies. And even if Albertans were simply not voting for Trudeau because he's a pompous, corrupt, ######bag liar, fair enough. That's why I'm almost certainly not voting Liberal. But for many it's so ingrained that Conservatives are the only ones who love us and everyone else hates us, that it's hard for parties to campaign here.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 09-11-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #5505
Roughneck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Calgary Centre has an Animal Protection Party candidate running. That's a new one.

Calgary Heritage has the legend himself, Larry Heather, seeking election for the 11th time (23rd time across all governments), as a member of the Christian Heritage Party. Will this finally be the time?!
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #5506
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Not a single supportive comment on this Trudeau video they tweeted:

https://twitter.com/statuses/1171799027022737408

The video is worth a watch. So much cringe.

Last edited by The Fonz; 09-11-2019 at 07:41 PM.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #5507
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Not a single supportive comment on this Trudeau video they tweeted:

https://twitter.com/statuses/1171799027022737408

The video is worth a watch. So much cringe.
This guy always sounds like a prerecorded phone call. But they kept the first take.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #5508
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m jealous of those who live in the riding where they have a choice between two Maxime Berniers.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 09-11-2019 at 10:29 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #5509
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

NDP loses two candidates today, one for social media comments, one for allegations of domestic assault.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:00 PM   #5510
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

At least this helps with the climate emergency the liberals keep yelling at Canadians about.

https://twitter.com/MercedesGlobal/s...699288064?s=20
Frank MetaMusil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:06 PM   #5511
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Agreed. But I think it's a bit of "reap what you sow" from the Liberal party given its history with Alberta over the years and even electing a Trudeau as leader.

However, I feel the Liberals did try to make the type of compromises that 'we' would like to see if our 'team' isn't calling the shots. Sure, they campaigned on and denied Northern Gateway and put in the Carbon Tax but they did approve Trans Mountain. The approval for Trans Mountain was really no-strings attached. If the NEB, operating mostly under Harper's government during the application process, had properly looked at the project scope and Canada, again mostly under Harper, had properly consulted, then the appeal is squashed and Trans Mountain is ago. Instead it's denied on the basis of consultation, most of which happened prior to the 2015 election, being inadequate. Certainly any informed individual can't blame Trudeau's Liberals for the FCA ruling.

And yet you still have most of Alberta blaming the Liberals for the FCA decision, and even after they have approved it a second time, you still have many many Albertans questioning if the Liberals "really" approved it and some just straight up thinking the Liberals have not nor would ever approve a pipeline.

So if I was the Liberal party looking to get elected, why would I cater at all to Alberta? Even if you approve a pipeline they won't believe it, they won't vote for you, they see you as an enemy, so #### it, get votes elsewhere even if it means ignoring Alberta interests in favour of other provinces. Of course this then leads to the Liberals not catering to Alberta, and Albertans rightfully seeing them as enemies making a vicious cycle.

Of course I take no issue with those who vote against the Liberals due to their overall policies. And even if Albertans were simply not voting for Trudeau because he's a pompous, corrupt, ######bag liar, fair enough. That's why I'm almost certainly not voting Liberal. But for many it's so ingrained that Conservatives are the only ones who love us and everyone else hates us, that it's hard for parties to campaign here.

Solid post,

I’d also add that the liberals by 1) buying the pipeline and 2) not punting the re-approval of TMX until after the election actively cost them votes in tidings they need to win. They in one instance put good governance and the good of the country over electoral math.

They should get much more credit then they have received within Alberta for buying the line and approving it again.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 11:28 PM   #5512
powderjunkie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Well, as many on here are quick to point out, I'm not at all convinced Trudeau understands the complexities of parliamentary procedure or evidence law either. He's not particularly sophisticated.
Well then maybe this is a case where he should fall back on his ideologies and ask an expert "what is the most open and transparent thing I can do here?"
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #5513
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I know is I have reason to believe that certain groups are hoping for an almost certain result that will lead to an almost hilariously stupid cancellation. That is going to make brexit look good.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #5514
Nufy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank MetaMusil View Post
At least this helps with the climate emergency the liberals keep yelling at Canadians about.

https://twitter.com/MercedesGlobal/s...699288064?s=20
Trudeau: We should bring in a crack team from Bombardier right away to fix it...

Others: Sir this plane is a Boeing...

Trudeau: SO ??? I said Bombardier didn't I...
Old 09-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #5515
DiracSpike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
A bit of a 'parties don't represent young people because young people don't vote vs. parties don't represent young people so young people don't vote' situation. If Alberta had 20-25 seats that were up for grabs this election, how brazen do you think the attitude towards the industry would be by the other parties?

By attacking the industry they can potentially win some seats with effectively no risk of losing any seats because of it. It was no coincidence the largest funding announcements Calgary got from the CPC happened right before an election where three ridings were under threat of going red.
I agree, it's a conundrum, a chicken-egg problem. Get ignored, get mad, get ignored more. Framed one way though, the Liberals squandered a big opportunity in Alberta and the Prairies more generally. The four MPs we sent last time were the most since '93 and '68 when we also sent 4, it was the largest inroads into Alberta in a generation for the Liberals. You have a whole burgeoning generation of socially conscious millenials like me that only knew Harper as PM and generally didn't like him. This voting bloc was gradually replacing people like my parents and grandparents who lived here through the first Trudeau's tenure and will never ever vote Liberal the rest of their lives. They had the chance to remove the old legacy of the Liberal party for a new generation of Albertans primarily employed in O&G and they blew it, forcing the Province to sell oil for negative dollars as a direct result of their actions will do that. Now they won't win any seats in Alberta, have alienated younger people like me, and they really only have themselves to blame. It's definitely not a good outcome for the province to vote in one party to a new session of Parliament but you also can't expect people to vote for terrible policy decisions and inactions, this upcoming beat down in Alberta and Sask is 1000% on them.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #5516
TheIronMaiden
First Line Centre

Exp:

can we have another poll like we did for the provincial election?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:26 AM   #5517
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
....They should get much more credit then they have received within Alberta for buying the line and approving it again.
to me the only way they shoul get any credit if the line is ever actually built and based on their fascination with carbon taxes, the paris accord and single use plastics combined witht eh fact they did not even show up at the last court battle makes me think tha tit is highly unlikely that it will ever get built.

to me it is also a very bad thing that they had to buy this project from a private company in the first place
Old 09-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #5518
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yes they should get credit for buying the pipeline, but they need to eat the lions share of the blame for having to buy it and chasing Kinder out of the country.

They were cornered into buying a pipeline that they didn't want to buy or support.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:47 AM   #5519
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The early election usual around firing candidates continue as the Green Party fires Erik Shomann over a 2007 face book post where he talked about mailing pig carcasses to Muslims.

I think the vetting process for candidates is broken.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5893499/g...y-pig-carcass/
Old 09-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #5520
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Looking forward to the increase in hateful troll bots on all political tweets - whether built inside Canada our outside of it (no doubt China and Russia are providing their "input" into the conversation).
Ozy_Flame is online now   Reply With Quote