Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2023, 11:29 AM   #21
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Yup. iCloud or Google photos work well.

Just don't rely on that being the only copy of the photos. If something happens to that data, it's gone. Use an external drive to make redundant back ups at regular intervals and for the love of god people, test redundant back ups every few years to make sure it's not ####ed and corrupted or lost whatever.
I think you could have the redundant backup on the cloud as well. Ie mine are also on one drive in addition to Google photos. Plus shutterfly has the ones from the annual photo books, plus the physical photo books. I think physical storage would be overly redundant.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 11:40 AM   #22
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I think you could have the redundant backup on the cloud as well. Ie mine are also on one drive in addition to Google photos. Plus shutterfly has the ones from the annual photo books, plus the physical photo books. I think physical storage would be overly redundant.
Sounds like you're on the right track, but how many people have both Google Drive AND one drive/Dropbox etc.? Some people also don't understand the concept of a snapshot back up (fixed) vs a mirror back up (active). If someone smashes one side of a mirror, the other may end up breaking as well. I don't know how the rules work, but if you don't pay the fees for the back up service, by accident or whatever, you could potentially lose some of the data or the quality of the data when it gets compressed. Hackers are increasing the way they operate. This could be a vulnerability in the future for a form of a ransomware attack.

You yourself are probably solid for proper back ups, but the vast majority of those who don't understand my paragraph above (and that's likely a lot), should probably do one cloud and one physical back up. A 4TB drive is only around $100 or less now. Cheaper than yearly subscriptions to multiple cloud storage sites if you're not on the free or cheap plans.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2023, 12:56 PM   #23
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone looking to use Windows for displaying their pics via screensaver, this one is the best I've ever found:

Gphotoshow Pro
https://www.gphotoshow.com/gphotosho...een-saver.html

Can be used to build a digital picture frame with a mini-pc:
https://www.gphotoshow.com/digital-p...-hardware.html

Ridiculous number of configuration options. Some of my favorites:

- span panoramic images across multiple monitors

- choose pictures randomly, but weight pictures that were taken in the same month of a different year more heavily

- frame the picture with the image's inverted average color

- use built in EXIF meta-data from the photos in any way you want (title display, date photo was taken, etc)

Also supports 360 degree panoramas and all popular movie formats.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:18 AM   #24
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Related: I need an external device to store my photos to get them off of my iPhone. Anyone use an SSD drive or have a better solution? We’re traveling to Iceland and I need to free up space.
Yep, I used the very thing on our most recent trip.
- tossed photos from my camera to my iPad using an SD reader.
- USBc SSD drive connected to my iPad.
- select pics you want, choose save to files.
- when ready, select your external drive and dump the pics to an appropriate folder.

Cloud backups are fine too if you have: the space on your cloud solution of choice, bandwidth that you aren’t paying for. I like having my own drive as I don’t have to worry about the wifi connection or how much data I have. Iceland has high speed wifi all over so you should be good there. I would imagine for your 100 day trip you didn’t always have wifi so a drive would have been useful.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:

Tags
35 mm , polaroid , red eye reduction , say cheese