Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default video card fan p*$$*@& me off

The video card fan on my less than 1 yr old HP is pooched. HP has sent me a new one, but it won't be here for a week or so. The buzzing noise it's making is driving me nuts. How much harm would i do if I disconnected that fan? (ie. wedge half a toothpick in the fan blade ) I realize the video card will over heat, but how long would the card last, a week? It wouldn't affect anything else would it?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

it depends on what videocard it is.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
TheDragon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would strongly recommend against it.

Are you sure it's the fan on your video card? And not the one on your power supply or the tower's fan?

Have you tried blowing some compressed air (you can buy it, about $8 a can,) in there? Usually the fan will just cut some grooves over time and quit grinding. Unless it's just started, in which case it's probaby got some hair or dust stuck in it somewhere.
TheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #4
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's a GeForce 7350, and yup it's the video card that's buzzin. I did look around for anything loose or vibrating but saw nothing. I blew air all around also. Funny, just as I'm posting this, it has stopped significantly! I think it's actually normal now. First time in a couple days...hmmm the power of CP.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was pissed off at my video card fan making noises, but didn't want to shut down my computer. So I pulled the power cord...while the computer was running. I wouldn't recommend it. (Just sayin...it worked for me).

I don't really play any intense 3D games, so I doubt the card gets too hot. If you really want to run without a fan, you could investigate some drivers/utils for the card that will let you change the clock speed. If you bump down the clock speed, there is less chance it will overheat.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
I was pissed off at my video card fan making noises, but didn't want to shut down my computer. So I pulled the power cord...while the computer was running. I wouldn't recommend it. (Just sayin...it worked for me).

I don't really play any intense 3D games, so I doubt the card gets too hot. If you really want to run without a fan, you could investigate some drivers/utils for the card that will let you change the clock speed. If you bump down the clock speed, there is less chance it will overheat.
Or you could go to memoryexpress and buy one. They have a ton of after market fans. Some brands of fans go all the time. My asus motherboard fan has gone three times. I finally just unplugged it. The board was known for the crappy fans.

Speaking of which - I forgot about it, i wonder how hot it's been running lol.
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

short term, try turning your computer upside down

worked for me for quite awhile before i just replaced the whole video card.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #8
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smacking electronics is greatly underused.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Smacking electronics is greatly underused.
hey if it's not working anyways what harm can you do
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Perhaps you should change your username to Quiet.
HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:34 AM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The card will be fine if you don't go into 3D mode, the heatsink will stay cool enough passively without the fan if you just stay in Windows. The heatsink looks enclosed though, so maybe you could take the plastic cover off (just unscrew it) so the metal fins inside are exposed to air circulation in your case.

You can also get programs called ntune and rivatuner to downclock the card's core and memory clocks to really low levels (it'll be fine in 2D) and it'll keep the card cool. Done right, the card will last years.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
jolinar of malkshor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had to replace my case fan after 8 months. Same thing, lots of noise. Wasn't happy about it. It was covered under warranty, however, they wanted me to ship the whole thing back to them at my cost. (they would pay for the shipping back). I said just send me a case fan and I can put it in, saves everyone money. They wouldn't hear of it. I ended up just buying a case fan on my own so I didnt have to send the blibbin thing away. Cost me 75 bucks.
jolinar of malkshor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, dont know what the deal is, but it's gone away since I made that post. The fan is still spinning, but the noise is gone. Fixed itself. There's still a replacement card coming, so I'll probably swap it out anyway when it gets here.