Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
Heaton
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Best Internet Secruity for Vista?

I've used Norton before, corporate, 360 and just the regular Internet Security and while I've never had any major problems I have noticed how much of a resource hog it can be. Lately I've used Trend Micro anti-virus and I've used Trend Micro Internet Security from 2006 to 2008, the only problem I've heard of is that World of Warcraft used to crash on my brothers computer when using any version higher than 2006. But on the flipside I know people who use 2007 and 2008 edition and works fine so I guess it's a crap shoot.

Anyway, does anyone think there's something better? I know a lot of people swear by AVG and while I like it, I haven't really found any reason to get rid of Trend Micro as of yet. I guess a major reason is because I'm so anal about where I go and what I install on my computer so I've never had any experience with product A not finding what product B does.

Any opinions is greatly appreciated.
Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
FireInTheHole
Scoring Winger

Exp:

McAfee Total Protection. Works great... less filling.
FireInTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stay away from anyones "Internet Security" product.
That is a software firewall and the XP or Vista firewall works just fine.

If you are speaking of Anti-virus software, AVG is fine, Avast is good. Stay away from Norton or McAffee - both are POS.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
FireInTheHole
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Stay away from anyones "Internet Security" product.
That is a software firewall and the XP or Vista firewall works just fine.

If you are speaking of Anti-virus software, AVG is fine, Avast is good. Stay away from Norton or McAffee - both are POS.
Agreed on the Internet Security stuff - you don't need it. As for McAfee being a POS - I would have to disagree with you. What about it don't you like?
FireInTheHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Antivir is also good, if you want to spend some $$ on something better NOD32 is good, I'm not liking Kaspersky even though I got it for super-cheap, it seems to slow things down more than NOD32 did (though both are far better than Norton or McAffee).

Comodo firewall is great if you want something with more features or control than the built in firewall.

For antispyware, I don't really like anything free, they all tend to miss stuff, but Webroot has a sale on and I was able to get their antispyware for $5, and it's very good, has cleaned computers for me in the past that both Adaware and Spybot couldn't together.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I have Norton Internet Security on my computer and it works well for me.

Also use Adawre for for remving spyware.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use AVG for Antivirus software (the best freeware out there, lots of high reviews), and use my Vista firewall. Got rid of Norton as soon as the trial version ran out last month.

So far, so good. My system is less bogged down now.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #8
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireInTheHole View Post
Agreed on the Internet Security stuff - you don't need it. As for McAfee being a POS - I would have to disagree with you. What about it don't you like?
It's gotten a rep for resting upon its name for a while and not identifying some viruses. It isn't as bad as Norton, but there are other better options.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

I use NOD32 on both my machines. Have yet to have any problems. *knock on wood*
Old 03-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #10
Incinerator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use Avast AV and Spybot Search & Destroy, they're both free and works great as a tandem.
Incinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #11
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best form of "network" security for your home: a hardware firewall (usually part of a router).

Next, enable the Vista firewall. Do not install any other "internet security suite". This includes McAfee, Norton or anything else. Software firewalls beyond the built in one are basically useless.

Next, get yourself a decent, non invasive virus scanner. Avoid McAfee and Norton like the plague. Both of those go overboard and end up consuming far more resources then you need. AVG is good. Also heard good things about Avast.

Finally, a decent spy ware scanner is required. I use a combination of Ad-Aware and Windows Defender. Both are light weight, don't need to be running constantly and do a good job protecting me.

Basically, avoid anything that is "Real time" protection or is part of a "suite". Those products will ultimately cause you more problems the they will prevent.

Although, if you can get your hands on it, the corporate version of Symantec is relatively decent if you're paranoid. Just please avoid using Norton.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:33 PM   #12
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Best form of "network" security for your home: a hardware firewall (usually part of a router).

Next, enable the Vista firewall. Do not install any other "internet security suite". This includes McAfee, Norton or anything else. Software firewalls beyond the built in one are basically useless.

Next, get yourself a decent, non invasive virus scanner. Avoid McAfee and Norton like the plague. Both of those go overboard and end up consuming far more resources then you need. AVG is good. Also heard good things about Avast.

Finally, a decent spy ware scanner is required. I use a combination of Ad-Aware and Windows Defender. Both are light weight, don't need to be running constantly and do a good job protecting me.

Basically, avoid anything that is "Real time" protection or is part of a "suite". Those products will ultimately cause you more problems the they will prevent.

Although, if you can get your hands on it, the corporate version of Symantec is relatively decent if you're paranoid. Just please avoid using Norton.

if you have a hardware firewall do not bother turning on the software firewall. If someone can break through a properly done hardware firewall a software firewall will take all of 30 seconds to break though.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #13
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Norton=Symantec. And I agree, from what I've seen, it just cripples your system.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
Hakan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nod32
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #15
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I use my router SPI firewall and AVG free ed. on my pc with the Vista firewall disabled. I Don't use anything else, no other spyware or firewall software installed. I couldn't remember the last time I had a problem.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 PM   #16
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
if you have a hardware firewall do not bother turning on the software firewall. If someone can break through a properly done hardware firewall a software firewall will take all of 30 seconds to break though.
Vista barks like mad if it's not enabled, might as well not piss off your OS
Plus, there is a chance it will prevent outgoing malware if you're system has been compromised. Basically, I would not recommend disableling a built in security feature at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
Norton=Symantec. And I agree, from what I've seen, it just cripples your system.
Norton is the bloated gong show of a personal security package that was bought by Symantec.

Symantec as a product is aimed directly at corporate and large institution customers and tends to be more streamlined and system friendly. Still, there are better solutions for cheaper.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Kaspersky, no contest.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #18
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Vista barks like mad if it's not enabled, might as well not piss off your OS
Plus, there is a chance it will prevent outgoing malware if you're system has been compromised. Basically, I would not recommend disableling a built in security feature at any time.

Norton is the bloated gong show of a personal security package that was bought by Symantec.

Symantec as a product is aimed directly at corporate and large institution customers and tends to be more streamlined and system friendly. Still, there are better solutions for cheaper.

same thing happens with the hardware firewall it filters that crap out as well. As for vista always barking about it, just say that you already have a firewall solution and it won't say anything ever again.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #19
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Norton 360 is actually not too bad, it's much better performing than previous releases.

I have heard through co-workers that the quality on the Trend Micro products has really slipped, although I haven't had any experience first hand, as none of my clients have it deployed right now.

Finally, stay away from Panda, it's downright terrible.
sclitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote