Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #1021
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

He's not questioning whether or not a pitbull was involved, but whether the pitbull was the instigator of the fight.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #1022
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofillips View Post
perhaps if your pitbull rips apart things you should do the right thing and not take it out into public....then again pitbull owners clearly aren't at the top of the evolutionary ladder.
SeeBass's post is hilarious, I've never heard of a dogbite being reclassified/excused as a kids arm scraping past the dogs mouth!!!! As if dogs don't know what they're tasting/biting!!!
get back to me after the investigation then we will know the story, as of now there is a lot of guessing.

I wonder if there are varying degrees of being bit, I just wonder.

What do you think a real pitbull bite on a 5 month old would be like? Do you think it would be called a "minor injury"?

As of now I read into it an idiot overeactive parent and a news organization feeding the masses fear.

Last edited by SeeBass; 09-05-2013 at 09:20 AM.
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #1023
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBass View Post
I wonder if there are varying degrees of being bit, I just wonder.
I know you were a little tongue in cheek with this, but I'm going to provide a serious answer anyways.

There's different grades/degrees/levels of measured dog bites but no real universal standard. Most are measured by the number of puncture wounds and the severity (or how deep) those puncture wounds are. With that measure and an overall behavior assessment of the dog the authorities are able to measure how dangerous the animal is, and if it has the necessary bite-inhibition that dogs integrated into a human society should have.

So for example, a bite with no puncture deeper than half the length of the dog’s canine teeth usually indicates the bite was more of a defense mechanism by the dog and after biting, the dog released immediately.

Where as if there's at least one puncture deeper than half the length of the dog’s canine teeth and deep bruising around the wound, that usually indicates the dog had a serious intent to injure whatever it was attacking and that the dog clamped down and held on when biting. This scenario usually results in the dog being put down as even if the dog is deemed non aggressive in the behavioral assessment, little to no bite-inhibition means the dog is too unpredictable regardless of the owner.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #1024
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When will the Pitbull apologists realize this has NOTHING to do with what dog started it, who's at fault, etc. The problem with these dogs is once they lose their mind, or decide to attack, provoked or not, they are impossible to stop and leave a ton of damage in their wake. And they typically do so without any physical warning.

As I have mentioned before, I have an over protective, 10 lb wiener dog that is aggressive with strangers. Probably more so than a pitbull. All I can do with her, is keep her confined to the yard as she is too antisocial at the dog park now. However she is putting nobody's life at immediate risk if she decides to lose it. If you were to compare them to weapons, a wiener dog is like carrying around a bag of stale buns for self defense a pitbull is like carrying an RPG.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #1025
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah get this breed outta our city. that or put in place a $10,000 licensing fee for it.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #1026
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1442417

Sounds like it's been a problem at the off leash park in the past. Nothing done about it until now?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #1027
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
When will the Pitbull apologists realize this has NOTHING to do with what dog started it, who's at fault, etc. The problem with these dogs is once they lose their mind, or decide to attack, provoked or not, they are impossible to stop and leave a ton of damage in their wake. And they typically do so without any physical warning.

As I have mentioned before, I have an over protective, 10 lb wiener dog that is aggressive with strangers. Probably more so than a pitbull. All I can do with her, is keep her confined to the yard as she is too antisocial at the dog park now. However she is putting nobody's life at immediate risk if she decides to lose it. If you were to compare them to weapons, a wiener dog is like carrying around a bag of stale buns for self defense a pitbull is like carrying an RPG.
I'm sure this guy disagrees with you

http://m.imgur.com/6SzdH?tags

Weiner dog bit his Achilles.

It should be harder for people to get a pitbull but that's about it, larger fines, mandatory obedience training etc.

It will help a little but then those stupid owners that don't train their pitbulls will get rottweillers, german shepherds, huskies etc and they'll be biting people and doing just as much damage.

Let's ban all dogs over 50 lbs its the only solution.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #1028
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
I'm sure this guy disagrees with you

http://m.imgur.com/6SzdH?tags

Weiner dog bit his Achilles.

It should be harder for people to get a pitbull but that's about it, larger fines, mandatory obedience training etc.

It will help a little but then those stupid owners that don't train their pitbulls will get rottweillers, german shepherds, huskies etc and they'll be biting people and doing just as much damage.

Let's ban all dogs over 50 lbs its the only solution.
LOL, that is probably the most severe wiener dog injury in the history of mankind. It only supports my point. How many wiener dogs have killed?

The mental make up of Pitbulls is to latch on, and never let go. Please google it. There are a lot of gory videos online with pitbulls tearing people apart. There is one real good one where the dog is being stabbed repeatedly, and still refusing to let go.

Please visit this page:
http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-sta...ities-2012.php

Pit Bulls account for roughly 60% of all human dog attack fatalities. There are many larger breeds, but there is obviously a massive problem with pitbulls, and it isn't just the d-bags that buy them.

I love dogs, and have always had dogs. I do not like pitbulls, and am entirely supportive of killing the breed off. There is ZERO use for it, besides dog fighting, and as an add on accessory to your truck nutz and affliction t-shirt.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #1029
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

This story appears to be pure fear mongering and sensationalism.

According to the herald the child wasn't bitten and the minor injuries were due to scrapes suffered from falling. Unless that article is old, if not that's pathetic reporting from the media early on.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...335/story.html
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #1030
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post

I love dogs, and have always had dogs. I do not like pitbulls, and am entirely supportive of killing the breed off. There is ZERO use for it, besides dog fighting, and as an add on accessory to your truck nutz and affliction t-shirt.
I get what you are saying, but that's quite the logic fail.

I know plenty of great pit bulls. They are friendly, outgoing and I have no apprehension about my dog playing with them.

Every decade or two a new breed becomes the go-to "mean dog" breed. It's been dobermans, rottweilers and now it is pitbulls.

The most aggressive dog I've ever met personally was a full-sized poodle. However, I'll stop short of advocating killing off the entire breed because of one dog that wasn't properly socialized.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #1031
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Once again, most dog breeds, even large attack/security dogs like dobermans and Shepards follow commands and will heel when commanded. Pitbulls have been selectively bred to fight independently, and somewhere along the line, the instinct to latch on and not let go, have been bred into their instincts, and that is where they are so deadly in pit fighting, and attacking humans. Once the kill switch is activated in them, they can be like the freaking Terminator. They will not stop until they are done killing or dead. That is the issue with the breed. Not the size.

There are many way larger breeds, that are incredibly docile by nature. When I have the space, I will gladly have a Bernese Mountain dog.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #1032
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
This story appears to be pure fear mongering and sensationalism.

According to the herald the child wasn't bitten and the minor injuries were due to scrapes suffered from falling. Unless that article is old, if not that's pathetic reporting from the media early on.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...335/story.html
I'm not going to blame the media as someone had to report it to the media.... likely the dad who let his baby fall out of it's carrier onto the ground and is now trying to deflect attention away from that.

If the baby fell out while he was bent over, it likely hit the ground head first. Babies don't have tails like cats and land on their feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #1033
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Babies don't have tails like cats and land on their feet.
Which is why cats > babies.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #1034
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Yeah get this breed outta our city. that or put in place a $10,000 licensing fee for it.
Yeah like people with pitbulls have $10,000 kicking around.... That money is usually earmarked for lease payments to rig rockets, smokes,tattoos,Ed Hardy shirts and white oakleys. I just assume dogs like that are usually not licenced or have been licenced once but have never had their licences renewed.

Last edited by Hevishot; 09-06-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Hevishot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #1035
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
Yeah like people with pitbulls have $10,000 kicking around....
They're all drug dealers, of course they have the money.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #1036
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/10/04...ary-greenspace

Quote:
While walking a chihuahua at a greenspace in the Hanson Ranch area of Calgary’s northwest.

Two men, described only as Asian, lost control of two of their three medium-sized Boxer-Terrier-type dogs, and Jadeyn was bitten on the thigh in the attack that followed.

“They actually sunk in and took a chunk,” McLean said.

“It could have been her face, or it could have been her throat — it could have been really bad.”

More disturbing to McLean, and it’s generating some anger among neighbours as well, is that neither man stopped to see if Jadeyn was okay after they hauled back the dogs.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #1037
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
This burns me. I am/was in a tense/unfriendly relationship with the ladies who live in one of the townhouses behind my house.

My son (2.5 years) and I were walking down the street behind my house when the ladies opened the door and out charged their large dog. Despite their calls the dog started circling and growling at my son and me. It started to circle us while growling and barking for what was about 10 seconds, until someone came out and grabbed its collar and dragged in inside. No apology, no acknowledgement of the dangerous situation. Just drag the dog who wasn't responding to commands in and slam the door.

Then last week their daughter was walking the same dog off leash in a non-off leash area. Out of no where the dog darted in front of my car, causing me to break fast. The whole time the girl was yelling for the dog to come back. Dog didn't respond and actually stopped right in front of my car until i blared the horn and it ran off. I roll down my window and tell the teenage girl to keep her dog on a leash, as it is uncontrollable and almost launched at my son unprovoked.

So I finally run into one of the ladies, as she approached me. She hapf hearted apologized the dog ran in front of the car. However, she had this attitude of "how dare you yell at my daughter to leash her dog". She told me her dog was so friendly and it was inconceivable her dog could ever hurt anyone.

My point to her. I don't know you, i don't know your dog. My son was circled by your dog who is bigger than him unprovoked. It doesn't respond to commands. I am not giving chance for my son to get bit and live with that injury for the rest of his life, because I care what you think. Keeping the dog off leash when you can not control it is irresponsible.

She basically sluffed me off, and walked away. That is what bothers me the most. Dogs in the wrong hands are weapons. The best handlers of dogs I know are ultra strict with their dogs. They don't take an inch from them. They understand they are not kids, their animals. They take full responsibility for their pets actions.

The problem is these people tend to be on the decline. With the rise of pet salons, clothing, birthday parties, we have humanized these animals too much. Many treat them like kids (which they are not), and let the dogs run amok. This results in dogs these people have no control over, and many times it ends up costing people like us.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #1038
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I love my dog a lot, but I would kill her myself if she mauled a kid.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #1039
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

A person in the household should have to pass a training/behavior course in order to license and own a dog.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #1040
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a similar thing happen. Big dog ran out of the owners house, came up to my dog and attacked him (no injuries) and the owner came out picked up the dog, yelled at him and went back in the house without saying a word to me.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking