Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #41
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Dreger lol

But even if, it wouldn't be the worst thing for his development to go and dominate and build confidence out in Europe
Old 09-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Seems like his agent is getting desperate and trying a Hail Mary to get the fans riled up to put pressure on the club to cave. No doubt that Bennett has to be looking at some recent RFA contracts and want a piece, but come on man... put up some numbers first.

As a side note: heard from what I consider a reliable source that Bennett's agent is after Frolik/Brodie money.
Has this ever worked? Has an organization ever caved to fan pressure regarding a Player's Contract?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 09-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #43
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving is actually doing the rest of the league a favour. The idiots up north have done such a great job of driving prices up on players coming off their ELC's you need some of the other GM's in the league to try and maintain some sense of order.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #44
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett is just letting his agent do his thing right now - there is nothing negative here on Bennett in this situation.

Clearly the agent is trying to turn up the heat on Treliving as he wants to get a deal done before camp opens, so he is letting comments like "Europe a possibility" leak to people like Dreger. However the heat will quickly turn back on the agent, as you can bet Sam has no intention of not starting the season in a Flames jersey!
In the end there will be far more pressure on Sam's agent than on Tre.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #45
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the Flames options for sending Bennett to the minors post signature on a contract? Would Bennett have to clear waivers?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #46
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not over reacting but the Flames will not miss the Bennett of last season. Who knows, maybe a few months over seas is exactly what he needs.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:43 AM   #47
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
What are the Flames options for sending Bennett to the minors post signature on a contract? Would Bennett have to clear waivers?
Absolutely he would have to clear waivers. He has played over 150 games in the league.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #48
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, and I doubt he would sign a 2-way contract. So you would be paying him NHL dollars to play in the minors. Why do you ask?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #49
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Assuming playoff games don't count, Bennett loses his waiver exemption after playing just one more game. Played 159, and given his age and when he signed, the cut-off is 160. Basically, he can't be demoted as we'd 100% lose him.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #50
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm hoping they can agree on something before camp so Bennett doesn't miss camp like Gaudreau did on his contract year. Seemed to really slow him down at the beginning of the season
The Following User Says Thank You to Samiz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #51
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Business 101, from both parties...

Flames - Get the asset at the lowest price possible
Bennett - Get the highest value contract as possible

This has nothing to do with personal feelings or thoughts. Both sides will make a case, both sides will have points they agree and refute against, and both sides have an idea of what it's worth...

At the end of the day, it's a business.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #52
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
Yes, and I doubt he would sign a 2-way contract. So you would be paying him NHL dollars to play in the minors. Why do you ask?
I'm curious as to the options the team would have if he signs late and misses a large chunk, or all of training camp. If he doesn't sign before camp it would probably be best served if had some time on the farm to get his #### together and build some confidence before jumping back into the NHL game.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #53
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Why would this even matter? You want to be petty and punish him or something?

If Bennett wants to hand Jankowski his spot I'm not sure thats the wisest move as I think Janko would run with it. If Bennett really wants to stay at centre he'd better be signed before camp.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #54
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamesVan View Post
I wouldn't describe the 21 year olds sophomore season as a "poor" season.

I also think this is a bunch of nothing.
I would describe it as poor.

And yes, this is a bunch of nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 08:49 AM   #55
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder what the difference in the gap is. If I had to guess I'd say the Flames are offering $2.25 max and Bennett wants close to $3.5-$4 million.

I really don't think Treliving budges. Everyone can say not to over react but if this situation was happening in Edmonton we'd be giddy at the situation.

This isn't just posturing from the agent, this is a significant gap that needs to be closed. Whatever the gap is, im sure Treliving is in the right as Bennett has done nothing in the league to have the ball in his court. Frankly he doesn't deserve more than Ferland.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:50 AM   #56
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
...Flames have a dearth of players hungry to make the roster and the less permanent guys around, the better for them.

I don't believe that this word means what you think it means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #57
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any chance there is only a 4 year or longer contract on the table? Similar to how Pastarnak has a 6 or 7 year $6 million per contract on the table.

That could cause a sizable gap between the 2 parties.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #58
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever his next contract is he'd better live up to it or exceed expectations because if he doesn't, it could really set his career back.

Let's just hope he signs a great contract and plays amazingly for the Flames for a long long time.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #59
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any chance the gap is more over term instead of $$$?

If I'm Bennett, I want a 1 year prove-it deal so I can tear it up and make (hopefully) Draisaitl money next year.

If I'm the Flames, I want a long term medium money contract to get great value.
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #60
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Yeah its clear that there has been some sort of stare down going on throughout this thing.

I highly doubt he goes over seas though, that threat rings hollow when he could get injured playing elsewhere and kiss his earning potential goodbye.

His agent, as i have stated, looks like a guy who has opened a relatively new agency and Sam is his biggest name client by a fair margin. I do wonder if the agent isnt trying to make a name for himself on the back of Bennett...which is horrible to think about but hardly anything new in the agent/client business in any industry.

Bad advice could not only derail Bennetts season, but could have reprecussions throughout his short term career and possibly longer.

Sam has little to no leverage in this negotiation and it appears that he is not aware of that. Staring down Treliving will rarely work out in your favor.